PDA

View Full Version : OLD CONTEMPTIBLES - Northamptonshire

Lorrie
28-03-2005, 6:47 PM
Looking for information on my Grandfather W.H. Moody (I recall seeing somewhere the Sgt. in front of his name, but I'm not sure if it was for the first WW or the second WW which he served from Canada with the 1st Kent Regiment 1940-1942 with the number A49686)who served with the Old Contemptibles of Northamptonshire from 1914 - 1917
The Regt that that is on his headstone is 10056
Anyone have any information pertaining to this regiment?
I do remeber as a small child that he had all kinds of military medals on two walls of his livingroom.
Any kind of help or guidance would be graefully appreciated.
Thank you
Lorrie

Geoffers
28-03-2005, 8:23 PM
Looking for information on my Grandfather W.H. Moody (I recall seeing somewhere the Sgt. in front of his name, but I'm not sure if it was for the first WW or the second WW which he served from Canada with the 1st Kent Regiment 1940-1942 with the number A49686)who served with the Old Contemptibles of Northamptonshire from 1914 - 1917
Anyone have any information pertaining to this regiment?

Have you searched Documents online for his WW1 medals? I had a quick look and you'll find two entries relating to him, one as a Corporal and the second as a Lance Sergeant.

You might also try the regimental museum, the address I have for them is:

Abington Museum and Museum of the Northamptonshire Regiment
Abington Park,
Abington
NN1 5LW
Tel. 01604 635412

Geoffers

Lorrie
29-03-2005, 1:15 AM
Thank you so much Geoffers for your help. I would never had found this site without your help! I found both pertaining to my Grampa.
Thank you again
Lorrie

nigelshipp
19-10-2005, 4:59 PM
hi,
Lance Sergeant w.h moody service number 10056 northamptonshire regiment enlisted 11/08/1914 and was discharged on 04/08/1917 reason being given as sickness. this makes him entitled to the silver wound badge - number 125087.
he is not on my list of men sent over in 1914 in either the first or second battalions so this suggests he was sent over in early 1915, hopefully he would have missed the near annihilation of the regiment at aubers ridge (thats if he went to france - sickness may imply he was sent to anorther theatre maybe egypt or gallipoli
i gather you have already down loaded his medal index card. did it mention his wound badge.

regards
nigel

Lorrie
25-10-2005, 2:15 PM
Thanx Nigel for the information.
Apparently he had gotten sick from the mustard gas and ended up with a heart murmur from it all. I don't know if the 'mustard gas' would give a clue as to where he was during the war, so anything else you can provide could only help further.
I haven't yet ordered his meadl files as of yet, but will shortly.
Thank you again
Lorrie
P.S. Nigel I forgot to ask you, where did you find all this information on him? Is there another website?

PETER729
05-11-2005, 5:56 PM
I got in contact with cousin of mine who I had not seen for 35 years, he passed me a bundle of family photos. In the bundle are a number of photos from WW1, the photos have me confused.

In one picture I have a Private in the Northants Regiment I think the photo is of Walter William Nobbs there seems to be something embroidered on the front of his greatcoat, there is also another picture of him with about 30 other soldiers.

A have two other pictures of what I think is the same person but the cap badge has changed and I am unable to recognise it.

There is also another picture of a solider in the Northants regiment, I have yet to find his name but he is most certainly another Nobbs, could be Ernest or Edward Nobbs?

I need help in sort the cap badges out; if you think you may be able to help I will be happy to email you the photos.

Steve Fuller
12-12-2005, 7:15 PM
I got in contact with cousin of mine who I had not seen for 35 years, he passed me a bundle of family photos. In the bundle are a number of photos from WW1, the photos have me confused.

In one picture I have a Private in the Northants Regiment I think the photo is of Walter William Nobbs there seems to be something embroidered on the front of his greatcoat, there is also another picture of him with about 30 other soldiers.

A have two other pictures of what I think is the same person but the cap badge has changed and I am unable to recognise it.

There is also another picture of a solider in the Northants regiment, I have yet to find his name but he is most certainly another Nobbs, could be Ernest or Edward Nobbs?

I need help in sort the cap badges out; if you think you may be able to help I will be happy to email you the photos.
Mail them to me Peter, if you get no joy elsewhere. Should be able to help (famous last words!)
[email protected]

Men changing untis was not unusual, so it may well be the same man.