PDA

View Full Version : Pictures

Flowers
27-09-2009, 6:39 PM
does anyone know of a web site that shows pictures or paintings of everyday life In the Georgian Period I am amazed at how little there is thank you Sue

Colin Moretti
28-09-2009, 7:57 AM
The British Museum has an enormous collection of drawings, particularly satirical cartoons, many of which are accessible via their online catalogue (click Search the catalogue) and down-loadable at no charge for personal, educational or research purposes - a marvelous resource and the cartoons are great fun.

Colin

Zen Rabbit
06-05-2011, 3:01 PM
Try googling William Hogarth or james Gillray? They were cartoonists of the day and often reflected life on the streets

AnnieB5051
23-09-2011, 8:24 AM
You could also try Bath in Time - most of the pictures are related to Bath only, but there are several prints and engravings included.
www.
bathintime.co.uk

Anne

Coromandel
23-09-2011, 8:42 AM
Not a website but a book: 'The Dress of the People: Everyday Fashion in Eighteenth-Century England', by John Styles. Its superb illustrations include street scenes, paintings of rural life, interiors of cottages, and much more. My local library was able to get hold of a copy for me.

Peter Goodey
23-09-2011, 9:23 AM
The V&A is the place for design/style/fashion.

Try the Collage database for Guildhall Art Gallery and Guildhall/LMA prints

DorothySandra
23-09-2011, 9:38 AM
There's a fair amount for the Regency Period, but Georges I - III don't get much of a mention, do they?

Hollytree
23-09-2011, 10:09 AM
does anyone know of a web site that shows pictures or paintings of everyday life In the Georgian Period I am amazed at how little there is thank you Sue

Not a website, but I have a book by John Barrell called 'The darkside of the landscape' in which he discusses the rural poor depicted in English painting 1730-1840............it might be worth looking for that. It's a readable book, academic but gives the names of the principal artists drawing and painting rural scenes.........Gainsborough, George Morland, John Constable. You might find examples of these online such as the V&A, National Gallery etc.........there are a lot of images online.

Anne