PDA

View Full Version : Blacksmith Livery Company

Wendy Jean
26-09-2009, 11:20 PM
I am trying to find information about the Blacksmith Livery Co. who were located on London Bridge in the 1600s as I have been told my husband's ancestor Richard Burman worked there and there was a kitemark with Burman on it. My question to any knowledgable person is: Wasn't that too early for kitemarks? I welcome any information. I am in NZ and if I can help anyone with info from this part of the world please ask.
Wendy Jean:)

Kerrywood
26-09-2009, 11:38 PM
This site (http://www.blacksmithscompany.org.uk/Pages/History/History_Home.htm) should help with background history, but the Company's records are held at Guildhall Library (http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/black.htm).

Kerrywood

Wendy Jean
28-09-2009, 2:22 AM
Thanks so much. I'll check it out.
Wendy

Wendy Jean
28-09-2009, 2:23 AM
This site is wonderful, there is always someone with the knowledge! Thanks so much.
Wendy Jean

tomburman
09-03-2010, 4:08 PM
Hi Wendy,

I am a direct descendant of your Richard Burman. However I think you have a few things incorrect.

Firstly, it wasn't a kite mark (they didn't start until sometime after 1901) They were makers marks/ trade marks. There were three in all.

There were six generations of Richard Burman, all of whom were blacksmith/planemakers.I have pictures of the trade marks, and also of a plane made by one of them, although I don't know which one.

As far as I know, the Blacksmith's Livery Company weren't situated on London Bridge. However, Richard took residence there in 1717. He was given the freedom (became a Master Blacksmith) of the Blacksmith's Livery Company in 1718 I have contact details but have not pursued it yet.

If you need any further info, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Regards

Tom (Burman)

Wendy Jean
10-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Hi Tom,
Thank you for that info. My mother -in- law was Rosa Vera Mary Burman who had a brother Tom so it sounds as if you are related. I wondered about the dating of the kite marks. I got that information about Richard from another relative - Cyril Burman. He told me that there are several pages in a book titled 'Early Planemakers of London' by Don and Anne Wing devoted to Richard Burman. I have tried to find a copy but it is not available at libraries over here - I am in NZ.