PDA

View Full Version : Cause of Death unknown

Walkeringham
25-09-2009, 3:27 PM
I have a death certificate for a man who died at the railway station,aged 75.

This was in 1875 and the cause of death was given as 'Unknown'.
I find this a bit surprising!

Does any one know if this is unusual?

Thankyou.

Pam

v.wells
25-09-2009, 6:12 PM
I have never seen that on a death cert before. One would think if it was death by unknown causes there would be an inquest and coroner findings. They had some ability to determine medical causes of death even back then. But then again, given the man's age perhaps that alone was the reason why no action was taken. Odd though. Perhaps a member with medical knowledge would know the reason for this.

Sorry not much help am I?|blush|

MythicalMarian
25-09-2009, 7:02 PM
Who registered the death? Are you sure there wasn't a coroner involved here?

One of my great great grandads has a death certificate which states 'found dead from natural causes' - but the death is registered by the coroner. Like Vanessa says, it seems odd to have 'unknown' as a cause without having some sort of official involved, either at the time or later.

Can you give us any more details, Walkeringham?

Walkeringham
26-09-2009, 8:59 AM
Thankyou.
No, I have no more information.
From a copy of the certificate aquired in 1998:

Twenty third April 1875 at the Railway Station, Walkeringham
George Spencer 75years Farmer (cause of death) Unknown Informant son Robert
Twenty sixth, April1875.

MythicalMarian
26-09-2009, 11:41 AM
This is an odd one, Walkeringham. Does it say that Robert was actually 'present at the death'?

Walkeringham
26-09-2009, 3:31 PM
This is an odd one, Walkeringham. Does it say that Robert was actually 'present at the death'?

No - just 'Robert Spencer
Son
Walkeringham
in the column 'Signature,description and residence of informant'

I know that in later certificates 'present at death ' is recorded but perhaps that came later. I have nothing to compare as this is the earliest death certificate I have.
Thankyou for you interest,
Pam

MythicalMarian
26-09-2009, 4:28 PM
No - just 'Robert Spencer
Son
Walkeringham
in the column 'Signature,description and residence of informant'

I know that in later certificates 'present at death ' is recorded but perhaps that came later. I have nothing to compare as this is the earliest death certificate I have.
Thankyou for you interest,
Pam

Hi Pam - this is NOT an early certificate by any means. By 1875 rules were in place and if Robert had been present at the death it would have said so - I have certificates from the 1840s where 'present at death' is recorded.

If the deceased had been found dead at the railway station there should have been an official involved, but it seems that this one slipped through the net. Perhaps someone recognised him and let Robert know that his Dad had dropped dead at the railway station.

But I can't help thinking that rules have been side-stepped here. It may not matter in the long run, of course, but it would be nice to know the ins and outs of this one. As well as the great great grandad whom I mentioned above (found dead of natural causes in 1879 - in his own house), I also have a cousin found dead in the road in Heaton Mersey (Stockport) in 1856. This obviously went to the coroner who ruled that death had occurred 'by injury of a wagon wheel running over him'.

This one is a mystery, Pam.

Colin Moretti
26-09-2009, 5:54 PM
As ever, Barbara Dixon (http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/deaths.htm#COL7) has something to say on the matter:
By 1875 the cause of death is followed by "Certified by..........(name of doctor) ..........(doctors qualifications)" ... A doctor is only qualified to sign if he has been in attendance on the deceased in his last illness AND has either seen the deceased within 14 days of his death or saw the deceased after death. If there is no doctor who qualifies under these restrictions then the death must be notified to the coroner.If this death was right at the start of the time when it had to be reported to the coroner then perhaps it just slipped through the net before everyone had become used to the new procedures.

Colin

Walkeringham
27-09-2009, 8:18 AM
Thankyou all; you have confirmed my suspicions that this certificate was not right - and it cost me £7.50!!

Walkeringham was a small village; George would have been very well known. The registeration was in the sub-district of Misterton but the main registration district was in Gainsborough - across the river in another county -Lincolnshire.

There are other mysteries eg where was George in 1851? There was a George ,born walkeringham 1800 , recorded in Mattersea but this is not the one.
And as for his will!!!......
Pam

Peter Goodey
27-09-2009, 8:49 AM
this certificate was not right - and it cost me £7.50!!

I don't know about "not right". Just unusual, I would have said. No great mystery about it.

£7.50? £7.00 is the standard fee with reference supplied.

There are other mysteries eg where was George in 1851?

Wasn't he in Walkeringham?

HO 107/2119 f 430 p 31

And as for his will!!!......

What about his will?

Walkeringham
27-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I find that I DO have an earlier certificate for the same village. George's wife had died four years earlier.

A bit more information here-

Mary Ann Spencer......disease of the heart certified .....Israel Spencer in attendance.
Same Registrar.

So some one in the village did know how to do things properly - so why not for George?

Many years ago I did what I could to find any reference in the local paper but didn't find anything, so I think we shall never know!
Unless some one has any suggestions........