PDA

View Full Version : urgent help required please

DaveinInskip
22-09-2009, 9:56 PM
hello moderators and programme writers,I need some help please,my Winreg has stopped backing up my file. I am using 2.01.36 and am assuming that this is the latest issue.I would add that Windows has been entering some updates automatically.

I have been noticing a familiarity of some of the names entered,you don't get many Tabitha's entered,my file was at 75 entries,I entered up to 122 asked it to save my file,took things for granted and found that my file is saved at 75 with the original date,in other words I have not done any entering for the last 2 days!

I have searched the transcripts and the backed up files list still the same file 75 entries.

So I entered another year thinking that I would save the file then to a disk,but the programme does not seem to allow me to save anywhere else.so I lost another year.

I am totally cheased of now and am heading for my bed,will look in Wed morning and see if anyone has any suggestions,or has had a similar problem.
Goodnight each,

Dave in Inskip |banghead|

Carmy
23-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Ouch! It's the version I have, so I think it's the most recent.

Same thing happened to me a few days ago, but I'd only entered 7 names so I didn't lose much. Started again and everything was okay. Right now, I'm saving the file after every tenth entry. That way I won't lose much if it happens again.

I hope somebody comes along soon with an answer for you.

Mike Fry
23-09-2009, 7:11 AM
And just where do you think the files are being saved? Is this different to where the program is saving them?

DaveinInskip
23-09-2009, 9:07 AM
Hello folks and thanks for your replies.

Carmy,I shall note what you say and try to condition myself to working in the same way.

Mike Fry, I think the programme is not saving the files,the only files of the same name are saved in the programme,but not the entries I have made.

When I search Vista for the filename it comes up 3 times,all within Winreg.

21-09-09 in backup files
22-09-09 in transcripts
23 09-09 in recent items

3 files named LANUPHBA4,all with the same number of entries,75.

I am not in the habit of loading this file to look at,I am adding entries each day,and between the 21 and 23 of Sep have added somewhere in the region of 200 entries,these have gone through the programme backup procedure,but have not been saved.I am basing this assumption on the fact that the number of entries has not moved up from 75.

bye for now
Dave in Inskip

Mike Fry
23-09-2009, 9:47 AM
Mike Fry, I think the programme is not saving the files,the only files of the same name are saved in the programme,but not the entries I have made.

When I search Vista for the filename it comes up 3 times,all within Winreg.

21-09-09 in backup files
22-09-09 in transcripts
23 09-09 in recent items

3 files named LANUPHBA4,all with the same number of entries,75.

I am not in the habit of loading this file to look at,I am adding entries each day,and between the 21 and 23 of Sep have added somewhere in the region of 200 entries,these have gone through the programme backup procedure,but have not been saved.I am basing this assumption on the fact that the number of entries has not moved up from 75.

Dave in Inskip

Please note: THE PROGRAM DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY BACKUP FILES. That's your job! It does, however, automatically save files back to where you opened them from.

Well, Vista appears to find the files in the default place. But, are these the right default places for WinREG? A full path for the sub-folders would have been more useful to me.

The Transcripts sub-folder is the default place where the program expects to find files. There is a direct link between this sub-folder and the path that is set for the Data folder field on the Folders tab of the Options dialog window. By default, this is set to

\My Documents\FreeREG\WinREG for Windows\Transcripts

On Vista, I think this will expand to become

C:\Users\<User>\Documents\FreeREG\WinREG for Windows\Transcripts

If this is not where your files are, then there might be problems!

Another thing to note about WinREG and Folders:

You can change where you keep your data files and their backups. When you change the path in the Options dialog, the program will move your files from their current location to the new location.

So, if you want your data elsewhere, such as D:\WinREG\Data

a) First create the folder structure
b) Then use WinREG to set your new Data Folder path and move the existing files

DaveinInskip
23-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Hello Mike,I have checked through the Winreg and followed the paths exactly as you said,and both the backup and transcripts are in the correct places,following the tracks you quoted.

I then got into the Winreg start screen and opened an existing project,my file was there LANUPHBA4,which I clicked on and got into the programme,my file containg the same number of entries 75. I went into settings/options/folders,changed the Data folder to read A:\WINREG Transcripts,pushed in a floppy and the present files loaded onto the disc.I left the backup folder as is.

Going back to the programme I entered anothe line of data,went into backup to save the file.

Going now into Dave/Documents/FreeREG/WinREG for Windows/Backup files I find the file,still there,22/09/09 date with 75 entries,no change.

Loading the programme from my floppy now gives me 76 entries and is doing what I expect from the changes I have made,however as I did not change the backup folder I expected the backup to have happened to both the backup and transcription folders,which has not happened.

So I shall carry on now entering data,saving to my floppy,and assuming that the programme is not working as it should.

Bye for now
Dave in Inskip

DaveinInskip
23-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Hello Mike,update,I have entered anothe 6 lines,my floppy is up to date,the backup on WinREG has changed the date of the file to 23/09/09 but still has only 75 entries.

Bye for now
Dave in Inskip

Mike Fry
23-09-2009, 2:23 PM
Hello Mike,I have checked through the Winreg and followed the paths exactly as you said,and both the backup and transcripts are in the correct places,following the tracks you quoted.

I then got into the Winreg start screen and opened an existing project,my file was there LANUPHBA4,which I clicked on and got into the programme,my file containg the same number of entries 75. I went into settings/options/folders,changed the Data folder to read A:\WINREG Transcripts,pushed in a floppy and the present files loaded onto the disc.I left the backup folder as is.

Going back to the programme I entered anothe line of data,went into backup to save the file.

Going now into Dave/Documents/FreeREG/WinREG for Windows/Backup files I find the file,still there,22/09/09 date with 75 entries,no change.

Loading the programme from my floppy now gives me 76 entries and is doing what I expect from the changes I have made,however as I did not change the backup folder I expected the backup to have happened to both the backup and transcription folders,which has not happened.

So I shall carry on now entering data,saving to my floppy,and assuming that the programme is not working as it should.

Bye for now
Dave in Inskip

I think I see your problem :)

Are you by any chance expecting the program to update the copy on disk each time that you add a new record? Because it doesn't work that way.

You open a file. The program reads all the data into memory. You make additions and changes to the copy in memory. The original file on disk is unchanged - UNTIL YOU SAVE MEMORY COPY BACK TO DISK OR YOU EXIT THE PROGRAM!

When you tried to backup the file whilst you were editing it, you ended up copying the original data: the version you originally opened.

Try saving the data. The little blue, floppy disk icon becomes enabled when you've made changes. As does the Save option in the File drop-down menu. The icon stays enabled all the while you have any unsaved changes.

DaveinInskip
23-09-2009, 5:29 PM
Hello Mike,thanks for yours,I have no problem with the floppy,here's how I end my session.

I go to Tools then backup,the data is backed up to my backup file within the programme,I then go to close the programme and WinREG tells me I have unsaved data,do I want to save,answer yes,the data is saved to Transcripts on my floppy disc.

As to the main problem,the backup file not being backed up now appears to have righted itself as both the backup file and the floppy disc are now reading the same number of entries 117.

I shall continue to back up to both places,this way if the problem re-appears I will be covered.

I will keep you informed if there are any further problems.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Regards

Dave in Inskip

Mike Fry
23-09-2009, 7:41 PM
Hello Mike,thanks for yours,I have no problem with the floppy,here's how I end my session.

I go to Tools then backup,the data is backed up to my backup file within the programme,I then go to close the programme and WinREG tells me I have unsaved data,do I want to save,answer yes,the data is saved to Transcripts on my floppy disc.

As to the main problem,the backup file not being backed up now appears to have righted itself as both the backup file and the floppy disc are now reading the same number of entries 117.

I shall continue to back up to both places,this way if the problem re-appears I will be covered.

I will keep you informed if there are any further problems.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Regards

Dave in Inskip

As I tried to convey last time, your method of working is causing you to see a problem where there is none.

You spend a session editing a file. You then try to back the file up. The trouble is, what you're backing up is the file as it was before you started making any changes to it. Suggest you amend your way of working so that you back the file up after you've saved any changes.

As to using the A: .... You'll be much better off going back to using your hard-drive. For one thing, it's quicker!