PDA

View Full Version : Rueben Vincent (b.1828) Wareham, Dorset

David Tuson
22-09-2009, 4:44 AM
Does anyone have access to the St Martin, Wareham parish registers - or could point me to them? (bearing in mind I'm in New Zealand)

I have traced Rueben through census and Attestation papers as far as the 1841 census. His parents are listed as John Vincent and Deborah. I would like to find Deborah's surname and then naturally John's parents (John was born about 1799 in Dorset)

On the 1841 census John and his family's address is given as Trigon Hill, Wareham. There is another Vincent family in the vicinity (Charles is the head) - I wonder if they were related?

Thanks, David

Dorset Girl
22-09-2009, 6:28 AM
Hi David,
Have you checked out the Dorset OPC site - http://www.opcdorset.com/ - they might have something.
Marion

David Tuson
23-09-2009, 1:47 AM
Hi David,
Have you checked out the Dorset OPC site - http://www.opcdorset.com/ - they might have something.
Marion

Hi Marion

I could only find the 1841 census data on that site - thanks for the suggestion

David

michaelpipe
23-09-2009, 3:12 AM
East Stoke (Dorset) marriages

3rd July 1820 John Vincent & Deborah Battrick of Holy Trinity Wareham

You will find this at opcdorset.com

Dorset Girl
23-09-2009, 3:12 AM
Hi David,
If you check under East Stoke on the Dorset OPC there is a Reuben son of Thomas & Edith VINCENT- Binnegar - Labourer b in 1829 19-JUL; - are these related?

Under the same place there is a marriage of John WINCENT & Deborah BATTRICK of Holy Trinity Wareham on 3 Jul 1820. Are these the ones you are looking for.
I have BATTRICKs in my tree but mine are all in Corfe Castle - they are quite prevalent in Dorset!
Marion

David Tuson
23-09-2009, 4:40 AM
Hello guys

It is a wet miserable day here in Pirongia (good excuse to sit in front of the computer instead of cutting lawns!!) so I decided to browse through some of the other parishes on the Dorset OPC site and I made some very interesting discoveries.

Firstly though I must say - WHAT A GREAT SITE DORSET OPC is.

Yes, the Rueben is the person that I have in my tree. And his parents were the John and Deborah that you have found.

It looks as though VINCENT was a very common name in Dorset. But with the use of the Parish Registers and familysearch AND OF COURSE YOUR INPUT I've made huge progress today.

Its off to digest everything, update my tree (and sit back smugly for a bit)

Thanks very much for you help
David

Dorset Girl
23-09-2009, 6:41 AM
Well done David! I think the Dorset OPC is a wonderful place - we are so lucky in that respect as digging around from downunder is a painful task at the best of times! The majority of my family are from that area so I spend quite a lot of time on that site!!:D

David Tuson
24-09-2009, 3:33 AM
...............digging around from downunder is a painful task at the best of times!!:D

Yes Marion, it is difficult digging for our European ancestors from this part of the world, especially if you do not live in (or near) the big cities with their libraries, etc.

If it wasn't for the selfless work of volunteers painstakingly transcribing records and making them available on the internet I wouldn't have got very far with my research. And then we have this marvellous forum with people taking the time to read our postings, do some research, and then post their findings.

David

Dorset Girl
24-09-2009, 7:40 AM
If it wasn't for the selfless work of volunteers painstakingly transcribing records and making them available on the internet I wouldn't have got very far with my research. And then we have this marvellous forum with people taking the time to read our postings, do some research, and then post their findings.

David

I'll second, third and fourth that!!!