PDA

View Full Version : Cheethams hospital school Manchester.

colwyn
20-09-2009, 10:46 AM
I've found 2 relatives in the 1911 census living in the Cheethams hospital boys orphanage Blue Coat school. (Herbert Craig aged 11 and William Adolphus Craig aged 13 yrs.) Their widowed mother is living with the rest of the family in Cheetham.
I'm hoping there might be some school records of that time...
Can anyone help or give any advice ??

sueannbowen
20-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi
have you tried Oldham Records Office? They might have something or know who has. Also the National Archive has something on this school but not for the period you are interested in. You could email and ask them though. If the school still exists they might still hold records or point you in the right direction.

I had a relative at the Grey Coats Hospital school in Westminster in the 1850's and Westminster City Archive have the original admission and discharge registers which are amazing.

Good luck!

Sue:)

Kerrywood
20-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I've found 2 relatives in the 1911 census living in the Cheethams hospital boys orphanage Blue Coat school. (Herbert Craig aged 11 and William Adolphus Craig aged 13 yrs.) Their widowed mother is living with the rest of the family in Cheetham.
I'm hoping there might be some school records of that time...

The school's records are at Oldham Local Studies (http://www.oldham.gov.uk/community/local_studies.htm). Their site also has some useful background information.

Kerrywood

MythicalMarian
20-09-2009, 1:27 PM
Bit confused here. There isn't a Cheetham in Oldham - it's in Manchester - and there are Blue Coats schools all over the area. Cheetham's Hospital (more correctly Chetham's Hospital) is also in Manchester.

I'll check this on the 1911 census, but Chetham's Hospital has nothing to do with Oldham.

ETA: If it IS Chets that is meant here - there are many records at the John Rylands Library in Manchester - but you would need to contact them and book a place.

Another PS - yes the 1911 has them in Manchester. This will undoubtedly be Chetham's Hospital - part of which is now the music school - but I have run out of credits to check. Chetham's is pronounced 'Cheethams'

colwyn
20-09-2009, 2:43 PM
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I'm a little confused with the Oldham connection ??? I have seen the records in the 1911 census, so I know for definite the boys are their. I did contact the music school but failed to get a response... I will have to give them a reminder... Are there any records held in Manchester ?? I wonder what will have happened to the 2 boys at the end of their schooling..... would they have been apprenticed to a particular trade ?

sueannbowen
20-09-2009, 4:10 PM
I'm a little confused with the Oldham connection ???

That'll be me and my geographical void. I googled Blue Coat Hospital School Cheetham and it told me it was / there was one in Oldham. |blush|I assume that from Marian's post Oldham is nowhere near Manchester.

Oh well, I mean well|5cups|

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/blondyblondyblondy/smileys/tiptoe.gif

MythicalMarian
20-09-2009, 9:10 PM
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I'm a little confused with the Oldham connection ??? I have seen the records in the 1911 census, so I know for definite the boys are their. I did contact the music school but failed to get a response... I will have to give them a reminder... Are there any records held in Manchester ?? I wonder what will have happened to the 2 boys at the end of their schooling..... would they have been apprenticed to a particular trade ?

Hi Colwyn - google the John Rylands Library and I am sure an e-mail will produce a response from them. They have loads of old records from Chetham's when it was a hospital - even back to the 18th century. If anyone can help you, they will.

MythicalMarian
20-09-2009, 9:13 PM
That'll be me and my geographical void. I googled Blue Coat Hospital School Cheetham and it told me it was / there was one in Oldham. |blush|I assume that from Marian's post Oldham is nowhere near Manchester.

Oh well, I mean well|5cups|

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/blondyblondyblondy/smileys/tiptoe.gif

:D Oldham's not that far away, actually, Sueann - but the 'Cheetham's' Hospital definitely ties this to a very famous building in Manchester. For Colwyn's purposes, I am sure she should begin with an e-mail to the John Rylands who can advise her further.

colwyn
21-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the help Sueann and Marion, I have e mailed John Rylands library so hopefully they can supply me with some useful info.
The address given in the 1911 census is 'Hunts Bank' , not sure if that was the name of the area or of the building ??? I seem to remember from when I lived in M/c it was at the bottom of Shudehill.
Must change my user name 'Colwyn' to something more masculine....any suggestions??

colwyn
21-09-2009, 4:33 PM
I have had a positive result from the archivist at Chethams , she found my 2 relatives and a 3rd who had since left the school.... there was useful info on the family ,their address and details of the boys school achievement. (though one was asked to leave ) Always heartening when you get a result like this. Big thanks to Sueann and Marion for their advice.

MythicalMarian
21-09-2009, 7:07 PM
I have had a positive result from the archivist at Chethams , she found my 2 relatives and a 3rd who had since left the school.... there was useful info on the family ,their address and details of the boys school achievement. (though one was asked to leave ) Always heartening when you get a result like this. Big thanks to Sueann and Marion for their advice.

I am thrilled for you |jumphappy If ever you get the chance to visit the area around Chets (as we affectionately call it) please do. It is in the heart of the real historical Manchester, around the Cathedral and the old cobbled streets. Unfortunately, they've built a monstrosity called Urbis (I know I sound like Prince Charles, but he had a point!) right in front of all this history, but if you can shut your eyes till you sneak past, you won't be disappointed.

A distant cousin of mine was one of the early librarians at Chets - Robert Thyer, and his father had a thriving barber's business that catered to the poor orphans at the hospital - he used to shave their hair for nits :D All this was before your family's time, though Colwyn. I think times were more human in 1911 Manchester - well, marginally ;)

And please forgive me for assuming you were a lady. |oopsredfa

sueannbowen
21-09-2009, 8:36 PM
Very pleased for you - I must learn to check my geog before posting.

Sue :D

colwyn
22-09-2009, 1:45 PM
Its heartening to know that someone was kind enough to make provision for the poor and orphans in those difficult times. I've found in my research a number of relatives in the workhouse and even now that makes me feel really sad.
Its a pity so much of our old cities were torn down before they could be saved and developed.....
ps You're forgiven Marion ...... Colwyn.