PDA

View Full Version : Help please family from gypsy camp Brum

SBSFamilyhistory
17-09-2009, 9:14 PM
hello all

does anyone have information about Reuben Smith from Duddeston Mill Rd, Duddeston Birmingham, a gypsy camp? He was born in Droitwich and could of married the ex wife of my grandfather in 1926.

Sue

christanel
19-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Do you have Rueben through the censuses? He was a hairdresser. I have vague recollections of researching this family sometime in 2007/8 but whether on line or privately I can't remember.
What exactly is it you are after?
Christina

christanel
19-09-2009, 1:15 AM
In 1911 Reuben was in an Institution in West Ham. The Reuben I am referring to was born c1850 so if he married your grandad's ex wife in 1926 he would have been 76
Christina

SBSFamilyhistory
20-09-2009, 3:55 PM
Hi,

The Reuben I posted about had a father also called Reuben, who was born in 1846 who was a hairdresser, as was Reuben Jnr.

As to why I am investigating them, Reuben jr aka Samuel was the second husband of my grandfather's ex wife Florence.

I will look at Reuben Snr and his connections with west ham in 1911.

speak soon

Sue

christanel
20-09-2009, 9:37 PM
Hello Sue
just spent a while going through the census and BMD's but nothing useful on Reuben jnr. In fact after 1891 when he is still at home with his brothers Ralph 12, Salevin? 8 Robert 21 and Reuben his dad, widower, I haven't found him in 1901.
As to marriages for a Reuben Smith to a Florence ? between 1920 and 1930 there are 2. 1921, 1923.
What is Florence's surname then the search can be done using hers to match it up. If she was a widower she could have used maiden name or married names. You also mentioned that Reuben was known as Samuel so he may have married under that name.
Christina

SBSFamilyhistory
21-09-2009, 8:03 AM
Yes he did marry under the name of Samuel in 1926. perhaps I should have been more specific as to what information I was trying to find out. There appears to be a lot of myths and legends about him.

Since I posted this I have been contacted by somebody, whose Aunt was Reuben Jr's, daughter. He apparently married an Elizabeth Hand in 1914. I have not however been able to find a divorce or her death, but then her name would have been Elizabeth Smith and in Birmingham... umm not an easy task.

Having looked at free BMD his second marriage may not have been legal! but who knows.

I will try and get a copy of their marriage cert to see what it says.

Christina, I was wondering have you been able to verify if you have researched this family previously?

I would like to know what happened to him after his marriage to Florence. Did his first wife die and what happened to his parents?

Sue

christanel
21-09-2009, 9:34 PM
Hi Sue
Sorry but I can't find any paperwork or email addresses to help with reminding me why Reuben Smith's name is familiar to me. It is only a couple of months ago that I cleared out my email address book and paperwork for research I had done for friends of friends of........
So it is a fresh look at Reuben and as I recall I was going back beyond 1900 not forward so maybe was no help anyway.
Will take another look at this later today.
Christina

SBSFamilyhistory
22-09-2009, 7:23 AM
Hi Christina,

I have managed to find Reuben Snr on the 1901 census, he is with his daughter Ann and her family, she is now called Ann Prosser.

I have not found Reuben Jnr however. I will keep looking.

Sue