PDA

View Full Version : Prison Records - Percy Harrold Maltman

sophiec
17-09-2009, 3:51 PM
I am researching my family tree and family rumour states that my Great Uncle Percy Harrold Maltman (known as Harrold) was in prison for fraud. He was born in West Derby, Liverpool in 1919 and died as reecntly as 1996.

I have found no records or proof of this and I was wondering if anyone knew of any way I could find out if this was just a rumour? Any help much appreciated.

many thanks

Geoffers
17-09-2009, 4:34 PM
Very difficult - there is no central index to check. You need to know roughly when and where to begin a search - and after that at which level, or type of court he was convicted.

If he committed the offence whilst serving in the army then you could search TNA's catalogue using the class reference WO209 (200+ court martials are recorded).

If your chap stayed in one area all his life then at least you can narrow down the when. Try local newspapers (it's unlikely but see if any of them have an index to news items) to see if they have any reports - record offices normally have them; but be prepared for a very long search unless you can narrow the detail down from friendly family members with a long memory.