PDA

View Full Version : Help requested from Oz

valgeo
16-09-2009, 10:17 PM
I have just discovered from the ancestry England and Wales Criminal Records that my 2xG.Grandfather Peter John Dunwell was charged with 'administering poison to commit murder' 21/7/1837 - but thankfully was aquitted. I was wondering if perhaps he had attempted suicide as it was classed as a criminal act in those days.

I was hoping that there might be a newspaper report about the trial in Cambridge, but I don't know where to begin to look. Are there Cambridge newspaper archives online? If so could someone send me the website please. I did try googling but ended up with a lot of sites for Cambridge in USA

Many thanks - Val
in sunny Queensland

GenieBell
16-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi Val

|wave|

The following is a transcription that I have made from a London newspaper that reported, briefly, on the trial on June 28th 1837

“An attempt at poisoning – On Wednesday last a man named Peter Dunwell, a shoemaker, residing in East-road, Barnwell, was taken before the magistrates of this town, charged with an attempt to poison his wife. It appeared from the evidence that he went on Monday night for half a pint of beer for his wife’s supper, and that when he returned his wife, having smelt something rather curious in it, made it known to a neighbour, who said that it contained laudanum. The beer was examined by a druggist, and it was found there was sufficient laudanum in the beer to poison six persons. It was afterwards ascertained that the prisoner had purchased a pennyworth of laudanum – Cambridge Chronicle”

I live very close to Cambridge so if you would like more look ups on this family then please let me know.

carolchipp
16-09-2009, 11:14 PM
The full trial was reported in the Times, July 26th 1837. The basic details are as in the previous post and when a neighbour collared him, Peter took off and was was apprehended the following night about 30 miles away at Bury in Suffolk.
They were apparently poor people who had been married for 4 years and had two children. According to his wife they had never had 'any but very slight quarrels' and she would be happy to live with him again if he were at large. The seven month old baby was said to be noisy and wakeful.
The defense suggested that Peter may have added a few drops to the beer to help quieten the baby, via the mother. The judge in summing up said a sufficient 'administering' of the poison had been proved, but left it to the jury to decide with what intent, and told them to acquit if they weren't satisfied that the intent was murder. The jury found him not guilty ..'to the evident satisfaction of his wife, with whom he walked out of court arm in arm in a very friendly manner..'

valgeo
17-09-2009, 1:39 AM
I am very very grateful for your quick responses, a big thankyou to both of you.

I think that is probably where I shall leave it now, and I don't think I shall tell my Mum who is 92 as it might upset her, not that she knew him, but he was still her g.Grandfather.

Good grief, the things you find out!!

Gratefully yours - Val

valgeo
17-09-2009, 1:48 AM
Oops, thought I should add that through the following census' they were still together and increased their family to include Mum's grandfather, so I conclude it was just a stress attack brought on by lack of sleep!!!!!!

Well, it is certainly better than straight out planning to commit murder hey?
phew....relief!! ;) ;)

Pam Downes
17-09-2009, 1:56 AM
Without wishing to hi-jack the thread can I just say 'hi and welcome to the forum' to GenieBell. |wave|
It's not very often that someone's first post is to answer a query. :)
Hopefully the forum will be able to return the compliment when you post your queries, GenieBell.
Pam

GenieBell
17-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Oops, thought I should add that through the following census' they were still together and increased their family to include Mum's grandfather, so I conclude it was just a stress attack brought on by lack of sleep!!!!!!

Well, it is certainly better than straight out planning to commit murder hey?
phew....relief!! ;) ;)

Hi Val - so glad there was a happy ending :)

GenieBell
17-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Hopefully the forum will be able to return the compliment when you post your queries, GenieBell.
Pam

Hi Pam |wave|

What a lovely welcome - thank you.

Don't worry I have some real hum dingers that need some serious sledge hammers |banghead| - Just finding my way around before posting them.