PDA

View Full Version : what do the references mean?

sbutler
16-09-2009, 8:25 PM
I have found a baptism in India in 1870 listed in the IGI. I have then searched the India Office site online to find this but no matches. What do the references in the IGI refer to and how can I see the documents they refer to?
Sam

v.wells
16-09-2009, 9:51 PM
Off the top of my head I think you are looking at FILM #'s that you can order from your local LDS centre. When you go to familysearch.org click on the "locate a centre near you" button. It doesn't cost much and you can view them there.

If your person was a British national it might be found on FMP and then you can use those reference numbers to order copies from the GRO with the notation "Overseas BMD's".

Hope that helps:)

Pam Downes
17-09-2009, 1:46 AM
I have found a baptism in India in 1870 listed in the IGI. I have then searched the India Office site online to find this but no matches. What do the references in the IGI refer to and how can I see the documents they refer to?
Sam
Hi Sam,
'Tis much easier if you can tell us the name so we can look at the reference ourselves.
However I would agree with Vanessa that the reference refers to a particular film which you can then order-in for viewing at your local LDS FHC (Family history centre).
Or possibly view at the British Museum in Euston Road where there have a very large collection of documents to do with India.
Doing it by 'remote control' :) , when you enter the name on the IGI, and then click on the result, firstly you get a 'message' box which tells you where the record came from - 'extracted from the locality' or 'submitted'.
If the entry is submitted, then (a) you have to be extremely careful as not all submitted entries are reliable, and if it is reliable (b) you still have the hassle of finding out where the original records for that entry (e.g. a baptism in Lucknow) might be kept.
At the bottom of the page you should see two sets of numbers underlined in blue. The one on the left should have 'batch number' written beside it, and if you click on that you get a further link you can click on and get all the entries on the same batch number. Alternatively if you enter a surname in the relevant box you get any further entries with that surname on that batch. Handy if you want to see if there might be any siblings but don't have a clue what their first names are.
The other underlined number should be next to 'source number'. Click on that, and then you'll get something along the lines of 'Parish register transcripts from the Presidency of Bombay, 1709-1948' which tells you the source of the extracted record.
Click on the underlined link, and there's another page with some notes on it, with a box in the top right-hand corner which says 'view film notes'. Click on that. In the case of my example of the PRs from Bombay you get
Index to baptisms 1709-1850,
Index to bapts. 1851-1870
etc
followed by Index to marriages and the years, then burials.
Further down the list you can get all the entries for a particular year on one film e.g. Bapts., marrs., & burs. vol. 61 1887. In all cases you have a FHL film/fiche number on the right-hand side which is the number you need to quote at the FHC in order to view the film/fiche.
This (http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpregion/asia/india/indiaofficerecords/indiaofficehub.html) might be of use if you want to view documenst at the British Library.
Pam