PDA

View Full Version : 1841 Census

pcoups
26-03-2005, 2:06 PM
There seems to be a shortage of "SKS" that can help with lookups in the 1841 Middlesex census. Reading previous threads I see some here have had a helping hand.
Pleez Help!!!
I'mlLooking for 2 families
1)Henry Robert ROGERS head (Bank Clerk)
Elizabeth ROGERS Wife
all the offspring born St Pancras
Mary Laura ROGERS b 19 Aug 1820
Elizabeth ROGERS b 2 July 1821
Charles ROGERS b 17 Mar 1823
Henry ROGERS b 17 Jan 1825
James ROGERS b 8 Jan 1829
Edmund (Edward) ROGERS 9 Sept 1830 Harriet ROGERS 13 Jun 1832
Laura ROGERS b 26 Sep 1834
Alfred ROGERS 3 Nov 1838
As they were christened at Old Church St Pancras I'm hoping they will still be in the general area in the 1841 census
The 1861 census has Elizabeth, Edmund, Laura & Alfred living at 12 Hawley Rd, Pancras - Kentish Town but I have also found Henry Roberts death in June 1848 for Islington.
2) Henry ROLLINSON Head
Mary Elizabeth wife
Charles ROLLINSON b abt 1825 Ratcliffe, Stepney
James ROLLINSON b abt 1829 Ratcliffe, Stepney
Mary Ann ROLIINSON b abt 1830
William ROLLINSON b abt 1833 Ratcliffe, Stepney
In the 1861 Census I have Charles married and living in Heath St, Mile End Town
Anyboby pleez help

pcoups
28-03-2005, 2:58 AM
Thank you for the help. I've checked the UK BDM for Alfred ROGERS and found 3 born Oct - Dec 1838 ...born Bedfordshire, Essex and Surrey.........from my map all counties surrounding London/Middelsex. Can you tell me if registering births became compulsory in 1837 if so then I'll have to search further. Thanks again Lynn

pcoups
29-03-2005, 7:22 AM
Thanks for that.
I applied for the birth certificate today and am informed that it will be posted within 7 working days.............plus/minus 1 week to get to OZ ......then hopefully I'll have an address.... cya then.

pcoups
11-04-2005, 3:08 PM
Received the birth certificate today of Alfred ROGERS b 3 Nov 1838. The place of birth is shown at address: 6 Gloucester Place, Kentish Town
Hopefully this will be the families address in the 1841 Census.
Can anyone help please.
Lynn

kathy.grant
12-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Hi Lynn,

I checked the 1841 census for your ROGERS family at Gloucester Place. Sorry they are not still living there in 1841.

Regards.......Kathy Grant (Brisbane, Australia)

pcoups
13-04-2005, 2:56 AM
Thanks for that Kathy.
Another dead end.

pcoups
15-04-2005, 9:17 AM
Thank you very much for the extra special help. Much appreciated. Thought I'd need to look at district boundries to see if I'd got it all wrong - never thought of road name changes.
I also bought a copy of Henry Robert Rogers death cert.
Died at the age of 60 on the 17 June 1848 at 55 St Georges Grove Holloway of consumption and 'stomach disease' His son Edmund Rogers was present at his death

pcoups
23-04-2005, 7:45 AM
In the census 1861 & 1871, Elizabeth's occupation is listed as Lady/independent. Oh! she always had a servant. Edmund too after leaving England to go to NZ, his occupation is listed on his marriage cert as independent/gentleman ........... so as you said before...........there must have been money in the family.

pcoups
23-04-2005, 8:01 AM
Have not applied for marriage certificate from the parish records before but will look into it. As soon as I receive it I'll contact again.

pcoups
24-04-2005, 1:07 AM
About 2am Oz time I awoke with Rogers family going round and round in my head.
When my now adult son was about 9 he received a letter from his grandmother telling him a bit about the family.
I found that letter! Nana said that her family was from Cornwall............now not 100% true but I'm wondering if that is perhaps where Henry Robert originated from.
I'm off to check IGI now.

Only one possibility found
Henry ROGERS christened 9 Nov 1789.Camborne, Cornwall
Father: Henry ROGERS
Mother Lucretia BOAS

pcoups
04-05-2005, 7:51 AM
Help again please.
I've written to LMA and certificate services GSI gov. Uk but other than a standard out of the office reply.....I've heard nothing. I approached the LDS in the town nearby and they say I have to purchase the collection of 24 microfiche to look at one entry..... after that I can't keep the microfiche I've bought. To purchase a copy of these 24 microfiche will take them about 2 months to send a copy. I cannot just buy a copy of the relevant entry.
Please How do I go about getting a copy of a church record or better still is there anyone that can do a lookup for me.
St Pancras, Old Church Parish registers for 1819
Marriage of Henry Robert ROGERS and Elizabeth WILSON 17 July 1819
FHL British Fiche 6900164
IGI batch #: M047931 dates: 1816-1822 Source Call #: 0598180-0598186
Thanks
Lynn

Pam Downes
04-05-2005, 10:49 AM
I approached the LDS in the town nearby and they say I have to purchase the collection of 24 microfiche to look at one entry..... after that I can't keep the microfiche I've bought. To purchase a copy of these 24 microfiche will take them about 2 months to send a copy. I cannot just buy a copy of the relevant entry.
Hi Lynn,
Are you sure that the LDS actually said 'purchase' and if so did they quote a price? You do have to pay a nominal fee - in the UK it used to be about £3 - to cover things like postage and packing. And it's quite normal to receive the complete set of fiche, or a film with baptisms, marriages and burials 1600-1903, when you want only a burial for 1827 or whatever, because trying to find an individual entry for the literally thousands of requests that the Salt Lake City library must receive would be an impossible task. The delivery time quoted is par for the course too.

Pam Downes

pcoups
04-05-2005, 9:55 PM
Yes they definitely said I had to buy them. The price wasn't a lot in the great scheme of things but at the end of the day I don't have anything to show. I have to travel 60km to the nearest LDS to look for one entry. Just hoped there was another way to go about getting any additional info (from what is shown on the IGI entry on the net) from the marriage registration.
Lynn

Zoe Archer
05-05-2005, 11:59 PM
You can order a photocopy of the entry from the parish record on the IGI
using the info at the bottom of the page, batch number and film number along
with the names, date and place of the event.

At the LDS family search website click on research helps, then 'sorted by
document types'.
There you will find a form called "Requests for Photocopies - IGI and
Sources" # 31831. Click on the name, the number brings up the shopping cart!

You can print it out, complete it, then fax/mail it with payment details.

pcoups
29-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Zoe,
Have you any idea how long this could possibly take. I sent in a form as found on the site - thanks to your directions and as to date have received nothing.... months!
Lynn

Zoe Archer
03-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Zoe,
Have you any idea how long this could possibly take. I sent in a form as found on the site - thanks to your directions and as to date have received nothing.... months!
Lynn Hi Lynn,

Usually 6 to 8 weeks from the US to Canada. I've been doing this for years and only once did I have a problem. I was giving them extra time for summer vacations etc., I finally ended up phoning - I found the details on the site somewhere, sorry but can't remember where! There was a mix up and the copies had never been mailed. They were extremely helpful and mailed it out right away.

pcoups
16-08-2005, 8:04 AM
Zoe,
To Zoe, a thank you.
I eventually received a copy of the marriage from the LDS too. The delay was my fault....my stupidity.
Can you tell me if there are people that do look ups at the LMA. I'm hoping to find a military record of a GGrandfather that went to fight in the Boer War in South Africa. I think I have the correct file number which should make the search easier.
Thanks
Lynn