Here is a real gem of a book a wonderful read,

The House by the Thames and the people who lived there
by Gillian Tindall
Published by Pimlico

A real interest into house history

|book|

Marie C..
15-09-2009, 4:20 PM
Sounds just up my street. Many thanks. Is it Chiswick House by any chance.

Stephen Evans
15-09-2009, 4:28 PM
Don't want to give too much away, but it is about a house on the River Thames, opposite St Paul's Cathedral and has stood on the site for almost 450years.|woohoo|!

Marie C..
15-09-2009, 4:39 PM
Further up river from Chiswick then. I must have passed it many times without really noticing it on those enforced treks around London with my father..... churches, art galleries, ST PAUL'S and surrounds. It sounds a really good book. Marie

Spangle
15-09-2009, 8:55 PM
The only place which comes to mind on the South side, opposite St Pauls, is the Founders pub,|oopsredfa where many a pleasant sunny afternoon has been spent with my best pal, bottle of cold beer in hand, watching the boats and putting the world to rights. :D

I'm going to cheat and Google this book as it sounds fascinating to this Londoner and I can't wait to find out more. Thank you. |hug|

Spangle
15-09-2009, 9:03 PM
Okay, I cheated and read The Guardian's review. And I learned something new! The write-up tells of the times when one would experience "a persistent smell of dog **** (essential for steeping the skins in the nearby tanning industry".

No, no, my new-found knowledge is not that broadsheet book reviewers use rude words, I knew that already. Didn't know how skins were tanned in the past though... ugh!

Stephen Evans
15-09-2009, 9:11 PM
Number 49 Bankside is the last clue, ENJOY|book|

|wave|

Would love any comments on the book!