PDA

View Full Version : Help please.

JessM
15-09-2009, 2:55 PM
I am helping a friend to research her Jewish roots. Her paternal side are Jacobs - fruit salesmen from Covent Garden.

I have lots of info including a Will, census records; some birth certificates and notices from the Jewish Chronicle - from The Victorian Jew edited by Doreen Berger and from an on-line site). I also have trial transcripts from the Old Bailey web site which have some of the family as witnesses.

However, I am new to Jewish family research and don't have a clue as to what info would be available from syagogues; where to find graves; variations on jewish names etc etc. I am not Jewish and know nothing of Jewish tradition.

Could anyone help point me in the right direction.

The direct line I am researching is:

1. Abraham Jacobs born c1809 Houndsditch
married
Rosetta Lazarus

2. Abraham (aka Charles or Charley) Jacobs born 1859 St Paul Covent Garden
married
Harriet Wright sometime before 1881

Please note, I have all the census records for this family (and the extended family) but would love to find out where and when Abraham and Rosetta married - their eldest child was born c1835. Abraham remarried after Rosetta's death and we have sent off for this marriage certificate which will hopefully give us the name and occupation of Abraham's father.

I'm having no luck in finding the index number for the marriage of Abraham junior to Harriet Wright. So, any help with that would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jess

Browneyes
15-09-2009, 3:33 PM
A month or so ago I came across a couple of sites concerning Jewish genealogy/roots...I'll see if I can find them again asap and let you know. :)

Mutley
15-09-2009, 3:56 PM
It might be worth looking at the
JEWISH GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY OF GREAT BRITAIN site.

Mutley
15-09-2009, 4:12 PM
When did Rosetta die?
The above site has a burial at Brady Street, E1 for Rosetta Jacobs on 21 March 1852. (Section SWALL, Row 8, Plot 32).

There are two in East Ham, 1926 and 1945, obviously not her but maybe descendants.

I could not see any marriage records, only 1880 - 1891 are indexed. Sorry

Kerrywood
15-09-2009, 5:20 PM
I am new to Jewish family research and don't have a clue as to what info would be available from syagogues; where to find graves; variations on jewish names etc etc.

Try the British Jewry (http://www.british-jewry.org.uk/) website. It has many birth, marriage and burial databases, both pre and post civil registration, and lots of useful background information for those new to Jewish research.

The site is being worked on at the moment and some resources aren't available, but it's worth bookmarking and coming back to. It has a specifically UK focus, and is rather easier to find your way around than the massive worldwide resources on the JGSGB site. ;)

Kerrywood

Browneyes
15-09-2009, 5:28 PM
One of the sites is www.
jewishgen.org - you need to register in order to search or submit a query. I've searched a little but not thoroughly without finding anything definate but there might be names on there that you recognise so I'll leave it to you now. In the confirmation email they send you there's a good link to information about searching/FAQs.

Haven't found the other site yet.

Browneyes
15-09-2009, 6:29 PM
The other one was

theus.org.uk/support_services/find_your_family/marriage_records/

To search for a name you need to scroll down to the bottom of the page and enter the details.

JessM
16-09-2009, 6:32 AM
Thank you to everyone who responded to my "help" message. I have taken note of all the suggestions made and will follow up on them.

Jess

JessM
16-09-2009, 6:36 AM
I haven't worked out how to send a reply to an individual as yet but this is in reply to the response from Mutley.

Rosetta died in 1868

Mar 1868 Strand 1b 361

Jess

Mutley
16-09-2009, 6:37 PM
Rosetta died in 1868

Mar 1868 Strand 1b 361

Jess

That is a shame, I doubt it is her burial in 1852 then. :(

I haven't worked out how to send a reply to an individual as yet but this is in reply to the response from Mutley.
Jess

Replies to one person or to all are posted exactly as you have done so that everyone can see the 'story of a thread'. We often chat or comment amongst ourselves while replying. ;)

Should you want to send a personal message to someone that you do not want seen by anyone else, one that is private or not connected to the thread, then you click on their user name and then click 'Send a Private Message to XXXX'. Write your message and submit it in exactly the same way as you do on the open forum but it will be received only by the person you have sent it to.

JessM
17-09-2009, 3:12 PM
That is a shame, I doubt it is her burial in 1852 then. :( .

Doubt it Mutley - there won't have been much left to bury after 14 years. ;)

That's for all your help.

Jess

JessM
17-09-2009, 3:14 PM
My typing is getting worse - I meant to say "thanks for all your help".

Mutley
17-09-2009, 10:24 PM
My typing is getting worse - I meant to say "thanks for all your help".

You are welcome. ;)

Come back and keep us up to date with your findings. We love to know if the replies to questions produce any results. Good Luck.

elvia
28-04-2010, 5:52 PM
Hi Jess
I have just joined the site and think I may be able to help with the marriage of Abraham Jacobs and Harriet Wright. Harriet married John William Cook at St Saviour in 1878(Jun) with whom she had a son Edward J J born 1880(Mar). Sometime between 1881 and 1891 she left her husband, leaving Edward with him.
She had 2 more sons William born in 1882 and Charles born in1884, although they were both registered as Cook it is unsure whether they were John Cook's children as their births were registered in a different location. However, in the 1891 census Abraham and Harriet are living in Newington with their family and William and Charles are called Jacobs.
Abraham Jacobs and Harriet Cook married in 1932(Mar) at Southwark, after the death of Harriet's husband, John W Cook in 1932 (Mar).The index number is Southwark 1d 56.
Harriet's son Charles , was my husband's grandfather (whom he never met) and it has taken a lot of searching to work things out, with the confusion over the Cook/Jacobs surname. We are still unsure who was Charles' father as on his marriage certificate he names him as Charles Abraham Cook !!!!
Elvia

messers
29-04-2010, 5:20 AM
Have you posted a message on the UK mailing list on the JewishGen.com site? If not, and you do not want to join this site, I could post your message for you and forward.

Michelle

I am helping a friend to research her Jewish roots. Her paternal side are Jacobs - fruit salesmen from Covent Garden.

I have lots of info including a Will, census records; some birth certificates and notices from the Jewish Chronicle - from The Victorian Jew edited by Doreen Berger and from an on-line site). I also have trial transcripts from the Old Bailey web site which have some of the family as witnesses.

However, I am new to Jewish family research and don't have a clue as to what info would be available from syagogues; where to find graves; variations on jewish names etc etc. I am not Jewish and know nothing of Jewish tradition.

Could anyone help point me in the right direction.

The direct line I am researching is:

1. Abraham Jacobs born c1809 Houndsditch
married
Rosetta Lazarus

2. Abraham (aka Charles or Charley) Jacobs born 1859 St Paul Covent Garden
married
Harriet Wright sometime before 1881

Please note, I have all the census records for this family (and the extended family) but would love to find out where and when Abraham and Rosetta married - their eldest child was born c1835. Abraham remarried after Rosetta's death and we have sent off for this marriage certificate which will hopefully give us the name and occupation of Abraham's father.

I'm having no luck in finding the index number for the marriage of Abraham junior to Harriet Wright. So, any help with that would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jess

JessM
30-04-2010, 7:21 AM
Hi Elvia

I have no idea how you managed to work this out - it's just fantastic, I tried for months to find a marriage record for Abraham Jacobs and Harriet Wright and could not get to the bottom of it.

I have been researching the Jacobs family for the friend of a member of my family. I have passed the information you have given me to her and it has re-started her interest in her family history. She is going to send off for Abraham and Harriets marriage certificate.

Thank you so much for passing this information to me - your researching skills are quite amazing.

Best wishes

Jess

Hi Jess
I have just joined the site and think I may be able to help with the marriage of Abraham Jacobs and Harriet Wright. Harriet married John William Cook at St Saviour in 1878(Jun) with whom she had a son Edward J J born 1880(Mar). Sometime between 1881 and 1891 she left her husband, leaving Edward with him.
She had 2 more sons William born in 1882 and Charles born in1884, although they were both registered as Cook it is unsure whether they were John Cook's children as their births were registered in a different location. However, in the 1891 census Abraham and Harriet are living in Newington with their family and William and Charles are called Jacobs.
Abraham Jacobs and Harriet Cook married in 1932(Mar) at Southwark, after the death of Harriet's husband, John W Cook in 1932 (Mar).The index number is Southwark 1d 56.
Harriet's son Charles , was my husband's grandfather (whom he never met) and it has taken a lot of searching to work things out, with the confusion over the Cook/Jacobs surname. We are still unsure who was Charles' father as on his marriage certificate he names him as Charles Abraham Cook !!!!
Elvia

JessM
30-04-2010, 7:25 AM
Have you posted a message on the UK mailing list on the JewishGen.com site? If not, and you do not want to join this site, I could post your message for you and forward.

Michelle

Thank you very much for your offer Michelle. I have recently received a reply from another member of the B-G Forum which has clear up the mystery of Abraham and Harriet's marriage. However any information on the Jacobs family would be gratefully received. I don't think I have left a message on the JewishGen.Com site - it's been a while since I researched this family - so, I would love to take you up on your offer.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Jess

elvia
30-04-2010, 8:27 PM
Michelle
That would be much appreciated, thank you.

Elvia

elvia
30-04-2010, 9:17 PM
Hi Jess
So pleased that the info has helped with your friend's research. Which of Abraham and Harriet's children was her ancestor ?Their daughter Rosetta was a witness at Charles' marriage to Sophia Smith (my husband's grandparents ) in 1908.
Elvia

phillip
01-05-2010, 7:13 AM
See Cemetery Scribes F2336 for details of Abraham Jacobs and his family. In particular, there are details of the marriage of Abraham's son Edward to Rachael Mordecai.
Phillip

JessM
01-05-2010, 8:17 AM
See Cemetery Scribes F2336 for details of Abraham Jacobs and his family. In particular, there are details of the marriage of Abraham's son Edward to Rachael Mordecai.
Phillip

Thanks Phillip. I am a bit of a dummy when it comes to Jewish family history research though and I don't quite understand what to do with this info i.e. how do I get to see the Cemetery Scribes?

Jess

JessM
01-05-2010, 8:22 AM
Hi Jess
So pleased that the info has helped with your friend's research. Which of Abraham and Harriet's children was her ancestor ?Their daughter Rosetta was a witness at Charles' marriage to Sophia Smith (my husband's grandparents ) in 1908.
Elvia

Pat (who is a friend of my sister-in-law) is descended from Abraham Jacobs and Harriet Wright's son Henry James Jacobs (born 1892). Pat has Abraham senior's will and this confirms that Abraham junior (husband of Harriet) was also known as Charles or Charley which makes me think that Harriet's son Charles (your husband's grandfather) was the son of Abraham and named after him. Pat would love to make contact with you but I don't want to put her email address on a site where it can be accessed by everyone and may be used to send spam. Is there any way I can get it to you privately?

Jess

CemeteryScribes
01-05-2010, 9:19 AM
Hi JessM

Here's a link to the site cemeteryscribes.com (put www. at front) and to the family suggested by Phillip (thanks Phillip) cemeteryscribes.com/getperson.php?personID=I10549&tree=Cemeteries (put http://www. at front)

Regards
Gaby

messers
01-05-2010, 6:00 PM
HI Jess

Type up the message you want to send and I will post it for you.

Michelle

JessM
07-05-2010, 7:25 AM
Hi JessM

Here's a link to the site cemeteryscribes.com (put www. at front) and to the family suggested by Phillip (thanks Phillip) cemeteryscribes.com/getperson.php?personID=I10549&tree=Cemeteries (put http://www. at front)

Regards
Gaby

Thank you Gaby. I had thought that Cemetery Scribes was a hard copy list in an archive somewhere.

Jess

elvia
07-05-2010, 8:38 PM
Hi Jess
Thanks for Pat's e mail address. I will definitely be in touch with her. Possibly this weekend,
THanks again Elvia