PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Boer War Pensioner

sue1
14-09-2009, 8:41 AM
Hi,

My grandfather served in all three wars - AB2, WWI and Home Guard WW2.
He was never a regular soldier but always a reservist with the Royal Fusiliers (City of London) taking part in wars as they occurred. In civilian life he was a NAAFI clerk.

In 1899 he went to South Africa as a volunteer with the Royal Fusiliers and because he was a horseman was transferred to the 2nd Imperial Light Horse with whom he served until his horse fell on him in battle and broke his leg. He was discharged as being medically unfit. His discharge date was 8th July 1902 and his service number 1946 (with 2nd ILH or ?Fusiliers). Prior to this his attestation form says he served in 7 Royal Fusiliers - it doesn't say so but I suspect as a reservist.

His WWI paperwork is among the Burnt Series and the MOD are unable to find his Home Guard record.

I am just wondering, having read something on here about Boer War pensions, whether he would have received one since he was medically discharged ......... however, at the end of his discharge document it says "I, William Foster, certify that, on my discharge this day from service in the 2nd Imperial Light Horse, I have been paid up to date and that I have no further claim on Government." This was signed in Cape Town on 7th July 1902. This seems to rather suggest he was not entitled to a pension of any kind but I wonder if he would have received one from the British Government. Once fully recovered back in England he re-joined the Royal Fusiliers as a reservist - he did not return to active service until WWI as far as I know.

I find it almost impossible to understand the NA website and wonder if anyone could tell me if he is listed as an AB2 pensioner. He was born in December 1880 at Forton RMLI Barracks, Alverstoke, Hampshire. His next of kin at time of AB2 service was George Foster, father. He was discharged to 14 Woodstock Road, Finsbury Park, London N having served 1 year 178 days with 2ILH.

I am not quite sure what I can hope for from pension details - is it worth pursuing?

Many thanks,

Sue

Browneyes
14-09-2009, 12:12 PM
I have found one reference to a William T. Foster, Royal Fusiliers via the WWI campaign medals - whether it's the same man I don't know.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=3718550&queryType=1&resultcount=7827

Note for any NA experts on here...Am I right in thinking that perhaps a person has to visit the NA to see records held by them relating to (for example) the 2nd Imperial Light Horse, ref. WO 100/251

sue1
14-09-2009, 2:49 PM
Sorry - he is not William T he his just William Foster (at the very most he could be William George but I don't think he is)
If you are looking at WWI, they had his name wrong and he was listed as Walter Gordon Foster but his medals were accredited to him as William Foster.

Sue

ladysmith
15-09-2009, 7:25 AM
Sue - As a non-regular soldier he wouldn't have been entitled to an army pension. Some men were invalided to pension as a result of wounds, injury or sickness and these included non-regulars including men in colonial units. This didn't preclude some of them from re-enlisting in WW1 especially later in the war when medical requirements were less stringent because of the need for ever more recruits.

There is a William Foster who was invalided to pension from the Boer War but he died in 1931 so can't be your man.

David

sue1
15-09-2009, 3:47 PM
I'm afraid not, he died in September 1942 (see GC database - William Foster). Last time I looked at this database I noted with delight that he appeared (as the oldest GC holder) just below Chris Finney - due to the alphabet - who was the youngest person to hold the GC. Maybe that has changed now but I think not. Interestingly, and proudly, my son serves in the same Regiment as Chris Finney did.

Would he have got a pension from WWI - 1914 - 1921 - he had been commissioned during WWI and sent to Washington in 1920/1 as possibly a weapons instructor but not sure - his MID card doesn't give a lot of info that I can identify. His army no. in 1942 was 12391 Royal Fusiliers. He was listed on the info on his "card" as W.G. Foster but I know some of his record (cards) list him as W.G. Gordon which is incorrect. He did receive the MC and DCM in his correct name and regiment apparrantly I am told i.e. the medals were inscribed with the correct name I understand.

I accept that he had no Boer War Pension. Would he, by any chance have had a WWI pension do you think? Does this question need to move to another place??????

Sue