PDA

View Full Version : RNR Trawler Section crew lists

AndyinWilts
13-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Hi all, |help|
I would like to find crew lists for the trawler Zena Dare during the period 1914-1919. I know that she was operated out of Fleetwood and she was requisitioned for war service in 1914 and fitted out for minesweeping duties. She was based at Portsmouth and a crew member, William McLeod Ross married my Gt Grandmother in 1918.
Unfortunately I have no further info on him except that his fathers name was Hugh(also a fisherman), although I have assumed (probably rashly) that he was born in Scotland as the family moved there from Portsmouth in the late 1920s. I haven't been able to find a birth for him on Scotlands People.
Any advice or info gratefully received.
Thanks
Andy

crimea1854
14-09-2009, 7:56 AM
Hi Andy

Firstly I should say that I have never used this particular source of information, but it might be worth further enquires to see how valuable it could be. On the assumption that the trawler was part the Mercantile Fleet Auxiliary, the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton does hold crew lists for these ships.

If you do follow it up, I would be interested to know how useful it was.

Regards

Martin

AndyinWilts
14-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi Martin,
Thanks for the tip. I had a look at the FAAM website and unfortunately at present their research section is suspended, see below. I shall keep an eye on the website.
Cheers
Andy

Extract from Fleet Air Arm Museum Centre for Naval Aviation Records & Research website -

"Research
2009 is a momentous year for the Museum and the Fleet Air Arm. There are national celebrations to commemorate the centenary of the Navy’s first involvement with aviation and the Museum is creating a large and radical exhibition (Fly Navy 100) to mark the event. Simultaneously, the Museum is involved in a major educational project, supported by a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. All these activities require significant input from the Museum’s Records and Research Department.

Owing to the urgency of the above commitments and the small number of staff available to fulfil the demand, it is with regret that the Museum has decided to suspend, for a few months, its normal services to researchers. This means that, with the exception of the State of the Art papers, it will not be possible for researchers to consult the archive or to obtain copies from the photograph collection.

Normal service will be resumed later in the year and the Museum’s website will announce when we resume the service.

Please be aware that we have not taken lightly the decision to suspend services and it has been done in the face of overwhelming demand on very limited resources.

We intend to reinstate a normal service well before the end of the year. Please bear with us through this period, enjoy the celebrations and visit us to see our new Fly Navy 100 exhibition, which opens at the beginning of July."