PDA

View Full Version : Death Burial Records

The Tank
13-09-2009, 6:39 PM
Aside from getting off my backside and going down there to go through the registers does anyone have any suggestions for sources of death or burial records in Buckinghamshire.

I'm trying to find a number records for Vicars in the 1700's in the Little Horwood/Buckingham areas and have tried the various IGI and Burials index on findmypast without success.

Ta|wave|

Kerrywood
13-09-2009, 6:52 PM
Are you aware that Bucks FHS has its own Burials Database and offers a Search Service at very modest cost? Try Googling for their website, where all is explained :)

Kerrywood

MarkJ
13-09-2009, 9:17 PM
If you have several to lookup, you might consider purchasing one of the cds with the Bucks parish records (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D10552&supplier=&breadcrumb=Parish+Registers%3ABuckinghamshire:Pari sh+Registers+listed+by+Product), if they cover the area you are interested in.

Mark

Peter Goodey
14-09-2009, 7:14 AM
Aside from getting off my backside and going down there to go through the registers does anyone have any suggestions for sources of death or burial records in Buckinghamshire.
|

If available, order microfilm of the original parish registers through the Mormons and examine them at one of their local establishments.

Check the catalogue online -

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

Kerrywood
14-09-2009, 7:28 AM
If available, order microfilm of the original parish registers through the Mormons and examine them at one of their local establishments.

LDS have filmed relatively few burial registers, as their interest lies mainly in baptisms and marriages. As the enquirer has not yet identified a definitive parish, I'd reiterate the advice given in Message #2. The service is specifically designed for this sort of open-ended query. :)

Kerrywood

Peter Goodey
14-09-2009, 7:52 AM
LDS have filmed relatively few burial registers, as their interest lies mainly in baptisms and marriages.

You're saying that if they've filmed the registers for a particular parish, they may have deliberately excluded burials from the filming.

I'm sorry but this is not something I've come across before. Do you have some examples?

Kerrywood
14-09-2009, 8:27 AM
You're saying that if they've filmed the registers for a particular parish, they may have deliberately excluded burials from the filming.

I'm sorry but this is not something I've come across before. Do you have some examples?

I'm not suggesting that where composite registers have been filmed, the pages with burials have been excluded. But where separate registers are involved, I believe the LDS catalogue reveals fewer burial registers than baptisms/marriages. (You'll appreciate that you need to View Film Notes to check the precise registers/dates for the filming of any single parish.)

I'm happy to stand corrected if you have found otherwise. My impression is based on experience of searching for films of burials chiefly in London and metropolitan Middlesex/Surrey parishes. The situation may well be different in smaller parishes outside the metropolitan area.

Sorry I don't have time to analyse this further right now, but I'll come back to it in more detail this evening, if you want. :)

Kerrywood

Peter Goodey
14-09-2009, 12:45 PM
I can't make out what the questioner already knows and what he or she is trying to find out but the 1700s were mentioned so it would be composite registers.

I'm not taking issue, by the way, with your advice to use indexes as a first step.

So far as straightforward burial registers are concerned (generally 1813 onwards), I still can't say that I've noticed a general lack of those films in the LDS catalogue.

The Tank
15-09-2009, 9:15 AM
Thanks for the replies folks. As there are a number of generations/names in Little Horwood I think the Bucks FHS Single Surname search seems the best option but does anyone in the area know which parish covered Little Horwood between 1645 and 1790?

Cheers

Kerrywood
15-09-2009, 9:20 AM
Have a look at the GenUKI page (http://met.open.ac.uk/genuki/big/eng/BKM/LittleHorwood/Index.html). Usually the answer for any sort of query about Which parish ... ;)

Kerrywood

The Tank
15-09-2009, 6:43 PM
Thanks again to all, very much appreciated.