PDA

View Full Version : John Benney - St Columb Minor

Barbara Wilkinson
25-03-2005, 5:40 PM
This thread seems very lonely:) !!

My 4xgreat grandfather JOHN BENNEY married MARY CORNISH 15 October 1780 in St Clement, Truro.

I have searched unsuccessfully for his baptism for a long time - certainly a man of mystery!

One possible scenario is that he was the son of SAMUEL and CATHERINE BENNEY baptised St Columb Minor, 11 April 1741

Samuel and Catherine seem to have had the following children – all baptised at St Columb Minor:

William baptised 6 July 1734

Samuel baptised 7 July 1737

John baptised 11 April 1741

Richard baptised 30 January 1742

Mary baptised 11 November 1744

Thomas baptised 23 August 1747

However there are a couple of things wrong with this theory:
1741 is a bit early for his baptism if his age on the burial record is correct – that suggests he was born c1746.

There is a Richard Benney also buried at St Clement who may be John’s brother, but his baptism is also too early, since his burial record suggests he was born c1749.

There is also a Michael Benney buried at St Cl0px">Samuel baptised 7 July 1737

John baptised 11 April 1741

Richard baptised 30 January 1742

Mary baptised 11 November 1744

Thomas baptised 23 August 1747

However there are a couple of things wrong with this theory:
1741 is a bit early for his baptism if his age on the burial record is correct – that suggests he was born c1746.

There is a Richard Benney also buried at St Clement who may be John’s brother, but his baptism is also too early, since his burial record suggests he was born c1749.

There is also a Michael Benney buried at St Clement of an age to be a brother to John - Samuel and Catherine appear not to have had a son called Michael!

With your extensive database of St Columb Minor - perhaps you could say for certain that this JOHN BENNEY is not mine!! At least it would be a step in the right direction!
Of course, what I am really hoping for is that you can say that this is almost certainly the right one ...........!!!!

Thanks for you help

Scottie
25-03-2005, 7:20 PM
Sorry Barbara I did not see this as I have had several visitors getting in my way today <vbg> I am afraid I cannot say for certain on this family as, at present, I only have the baptisms as have you. I would have said the St Ervan one is a better bet. I do have far more on this St Columb family though so I am Emailing that to you for your delight <vbg>