PDA

View Full Version : bookbinding in Middlesex

Helen D
25-03-2005, 2:48 PM
I am researching the Fitzgerald and Greenhill families in London. They seem to have moved around a lot from Holborn, Pancras and the city and I have been struck by how many of the families were employed in the bookbinding business. The girls were all 'bookfolders' and the men bookbinders and a goldbeater. I know that my gt grandfather and his sons all worked for the Oxford University Press, and I wondered if anyone knows of any sites that will give me insight into the bookbinding trade. I would also like to find a searchable old map of London. I know of Booths maps, but they are very difficult to search, especially if the address no longer exists.

Thanks in anticipation

Helen

Fulhamster
25-03-2005, 6:02 PM
I am researching the Fitzgerald and Greenhill families in London. They seem to have moved around a lot from Holborn, Pancras and the city and I have been struck by how many of the families were employed in the bookbinding business. The girls were all 'bookfolders' and the men bookbinders and a goldbeater. I know that my gt grandfather and his son all worked for the Oxford University Press, and I wondered if anyone knows of any sites that will give me insight into the bookbinding trade. I would also like to find a searchable old maps of London. I know of Booths maps, but they are very difficult to search, especially if the address no longer exists.

Thanks in anticipation

Helen
Dear Helen,
I am afraid that I cannot help you personally but there is a local college that offers full time courses in bookbinding. If you were to write to them they might be able to help you.
The address is:
The Bookbinding Department,
Digby Stuart College,
Roehampton Lane,
London,
SW15

I hope that this may be of some help to you. I do know that it is internationally recognised for its bookbing courses as well as it courses on calligraphy.

Ron Leech
26-03-2005, 11:18 AM
I would also like to find a searchable old maps of London.
HelenDepends on the period but Motco for 1862 is very useful you can find this at:

http://www.motco.com/map/81006/

Dependant upon your internet connection it may take a while to load but has a street index.

Helen D
26-03-2005, 11:48 AM
Thanks Ron
Looks like a brilliant map. I'll have a detailed look at it later, and hopefully find out where they all lived.
Helen