PDA

View Full Version : CANON ERNEST GEORGE CRAWCOUR

phillip
09-09-2009, 10:31 AM
I would appreciate any information regarding one of my distant Crawcour relatives Canon Ernest George Crawcour. There is reference to him in Crockfords Clerical Directory but I do not have access to the records and can only confirm part of the data I saw via Google Books.
The record shows:
Canon Ernest George Crawcour b 1898 Trinity College Dublin 3rd CI Div Test 27; BA28; MA 31. C of St Donard Belfast 27-31; C in C Convoy 31-33.My current information is that he died in 1937 Isle of Man. He was a Canon in the Church of Ireland. If anyone has access to Crockford and can complete the record data I would appreciate it.
Phillip

arthurk
09-09-2009, 3:33 PM
Hi Phillip

I have a copy of the 1959-60 Crockford's Directory, and it shows him as still alive then. The entry begins as you have given it, and continues:
I. of Tamlaght Finlagan, Dio. Derry from 1933; Dioc. Regr. Dio. Derry and Raph. from 1943; Can. of St Columb's Cathl. Derry, from 1957. His address was given as Finlagan Rectory, Ballykelly, Co. Londonderry.

Hope this helps,
Arthur

phillip
09-09-2009, 6:38 PM
Very many thanks Arthur for looking up Ernest Crawcour's clerical information. You have opened up a new line of research for me. We were pretty sure Ernest died in 1937 but you have confirmed otherwise.I have posted a range of data on the Crawcour lines on the forum. What is interesting is that two generations prior to Ernest's birth his grandfather Charles was the son of Jewish parents. The Crawcour roots are Ashkenazi Jews from Crawcow Poland hence the derivation of the surname. It is probably certain that Ernest derived his Church of Ireland religion from his mother's side. She was the daughter of a Reverend.
Best wishes
Phillip