PDA

View Full Version : Reading census films

Kath Betts
25-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Does anyone have any tips about reading census films. I am really struggling to read the “white” text on the dark background, is there a technique to it or is it something that comes with time?

I went to the FHC in London yesterday and managed to find my GGG Grandfather in both the 1851 & 1861 census which was undoubtedly a success however transcribing was a nightmare. As they were on film I do not have the images and would like to study the entries further as he appears to be giving a place of birth which is different to the 1871 image that have.

If anyone has the following images & could have a quick glance at Henry Storey’s place of birth I would be grateful. We were led to believe that he was born and lived in Milborne Port Somerset but these two images seem to show Suffolk! A little strange as it is not “just round the corner”

1851 census ref HO 107/1931 289
1861 census ref RGO9 /1648 109

Short of buying every census CD (not much chance of that!) I am not sure how to deal with these reading problems as they tend to leave me with a headache in more ways than one.

Geoffers
25-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Does anyone have any tips about reading census films. I am really struggling to read the “white” text on the dark background, is there a technique to it or is it something that comes with time?
Hello Kath
A lot is down to getting used to reading the negative image. However, some readers' lamps are too bright and can make the image difficult to see and some images are poor quality on film/fiche. With these I find it can sometimes helps not to look directly at the image, but to move to the left/right. Changing the position you view the image slightly alters the contrast betwen light and dark - similarly moving the bit of the image about on the screen might help in a similar way.

Also, if you can change the magnification on a viewer is sometimes useful. Don't assume that looking at the largest possible magnfication is best, try reducing the size of the script. With viewers you tend to only get a couple of lenses at best, it is much easier with CDs using Adobe where the magnification is much more variable.

But as I said at the start, most is down to getting used to sitting in the dark, 6-12 inches from the screen with a slightly nauseous feeling as you view a feint image.

Geoffers

Pam Downes
25-03-2005, 12:35 PM
I went to the FHC in London
Hi Kath,
Do you mean the LDS FHC or do you mean the FRC (Family Records Centre) in Myddelton Street?
At the FRC they have several reader/printers so you can take an image.
And my local LDS FHC (about a 10-seater) also has a reader/printer that can be adapted for either film or fiche, so I would be very surprised if other FHCs didn't also have this facility.

Pam Downes

ChristineR
25-03-2005, 1:57 PM
Here in Australia, if the local FHC doesn't have a printer, then you can order a photocopy from Head Office in Sydney. I've only been to mine three times but I've noticed some strange machine in the corner, and the odd triumphant noise from that way, but I've been too busy looking at my screen to really notice. I believe it is probably a film printer! must ask next time.

Christine

Peter Goodey
25-03-2005, 4:03 PM
"I went to the FHC in London yesterday "

FHC? FRC?

If the FRC and you don't fancy wrestling with the DIY printing, you can always note the reference, take the film to the desk and ask the boy to do it for you.

Kath Betts
25-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Goeffers, I will try your suggestions but am slightly relieved that the nauseous feeling that you mentioned does not seem to be confined to me! I thought that it was a combination of varifocal glasses and inexperience but then maybe others are wandering around disorientated as well!

I didn’t think to ask if I could print from film. I have learnt how to find my references and load the film so my next challenge is to find the printer and discover how it works. I may also need to find an asterisk translator so that I can blend in with the experienced users!

Yes it was the Family Records Centre and I think that I should learn how to print next time.

Kath

ChristineR
26-03-2005, 2:50 AM
"I believe it is probably a film printer!"

If, as well as the odd triumphant noise, you hear lots of things like:
"What the ****** **** has happened?"
"Oh **** - I don't believe this ******* thing!"
then, yes, it's a film printer.

If the number of asterisks exceeds the number of other characters, then it's
me at a film printer. ;)

No doubt, certainly sounds like it is a printer! I won't even have to ask now. :) I have also heard exasperated noises coming from that corner - but being pretty deaf probably missed the quiet mutterings.

Christine
Australia

Guy Etchells
26-03-2005, 7:59 AM
I would suggest the nauseous feeling is a form of motion sickness brought about by scrolling winding the film.
Try at different sppeds, some people seem to be affected more by fast winding whilst others by slow winding.
Focus on the screen surround whilst scrolling so the the screen is viewed by peripheral vision rather than direct view.
Ensure that the focus is well adjusted as out of focus images confuse the mind when combined with motion.
Cheers
Guy

Jo Simpsons
27-03-2005, 6:44 PM
not really to help but so you don't feel so silly...

My first visit looking at my local records office, I fell off my chair! Dizziness? Would save an afternoons visit to the pub! :D
I much prefer to look at CD's, in the comfort of my home. Much more controllable and if you fall off your chair or can't walk when you stand up is much less embarrassing!
Jo :)

Kath Betts
27-03-2005, 8:21 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions and I will try them out next time I am looking at films. It is comforting, in a strange way, to know that I am not the only one who experiences problems.

I have not fallen of my chair, well not yet at least!

Kath