PDA

View Full Version : Richard Hawes of Buckinghamshire

rdhawes48
25-03-2005, 2:35 AM
I am a 11th generation descendant of Richard (1) Hawes (1606-1656/7) of Dorchester, Massachusetts, USA, formerly of Buckinghamshire, England.

Richard (1) Hawes was baptized in Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire, England 02 November 1606. His wife Ann and his first two children were also baptized at Great Missenden. Ann was probably born in England in 1609. There was no mention of her in Richard’s probate court proceedings; it most likely means she preceded him in death. The two children born to Richard and Ann, in England were:

1. Ann, bapt. Great Missenden, Bucks Co., England 17 December 1632. She was named in her grandfather Richard (A) will, therefore living in 1665.

2. Obadiah, bapt. 25 March 1635, marr. Mary Humphrey.

Richard (1) probably died in December or early January 1656/7 in Dorchester, MA, USA.

Richard (1) Hawes (Richard (A), Bennett (B), Richard (C-D), Thomas (E) sailed from London, England to America on the ship “Truelove”, Joseph Gibbs, Master, 19 September 1635. History does not record why. Among the sixty-seven passengers were Richard Hawes, ae 29, his wife Ann Hawes, ae 26, and their children Anne Hawes, ae 2 and 1/2years and Obadiah, ae 6 months. The family settled in Dorchester, MA, USA.

The English ancestry of Richard was chronicled by Frank Mortimer Hawes and is presented in his genealogy “Richard Hawes of Dorchester and some of his Descendants”, Hartford, Connecticut, 1932. It starts with the will of Richard (A) of Misden Magna, Co. Bucks, husbandman, dated 09 September 1665. The proof of Richard (1)’s English ancestry is the bequest by Richard (A).

“ I giue …. To my grand Child obadias hawes in new England twenty pounds …. I giue ….To my grand Child Anne hawes in new England twenty pounds …. I giue …. To the rest of my grand Children in new England ten pounds to be Equaly deuided amongst them ….”.

As taken from the genealogy “Richard Hawes of Dorchester, MA and some of his Descendants”, the decadency of Richard (1) Hawes is as follows:

Thomas (E) Hawes of the parish of Prince’s Risborough left a will dated 27 May 1554, proved at Myssenden.

Richard (D) Hawes left a will dated 14 June 1590 that was probated 17 February 1594, marr. Alice who proceeded him in death.

Richard © Hawes left a will dated 29 March 1627 that was proved 07 June 1627, marr. Cisley who outlived him.

Bennett (B), b. ca 1565, was mentioned in his father’s will of 1627. The date of his death is unknown.

Richard (A) Hawes, b. ca. 1586, d. at Great Missenden between 09 SeptemD
The English ancestry of Richard was chronicled by Frank Mortimer Hawes and is presented in his genealogy “Richard Hawes of Dorchester and some of his Descendants”, Hartford, Connecticut, 1932. It starts with the will of Richard (A) of Misden Magna, Co. Bucks, husbandman, dated 09 September 1665. The proof of Richard (1)’s English ancestry is the bequest by Richard (A).

“ I giue …. To my grand Child obadias hawes in new England twenty pounds …. I giue ….To my grand Child Anne hawes in new England twenty pounds …. I giue …. To the rest of my grand Children in new England ten pounds to be Equaly deuided amongst them ….”.

As taken from the genealogy “Richard Hawes of Dorchester, MA and some of his Descendants”, the decadency of Richard (1) Hawes is as follows:

Thomas (E) Hawes of the parish of Prince’s Risborough left a will dated 27 May 1554, proved at Myssenden.

Richard (D) Hawes left a will dated 14 June 1590 that was probated 17 February 1594, marr. Alice who proceeded him in death.

Richard © Hawes left a will dated 29 March 1627 that was proved 07 June 1627, marr. Cisley who outlived him.

Bennett (B), b. ca 1565, was mentioned in his father’s will of 1627. The date of his death is unknown.

Richard (A) Hawes, b. ca. 1586, d. at Great Missenden between 09 SeptemD

Richard (A) Hawes, b. ca. 1586, d. at Great Missenden between 09 SepD

Richard (A) Hawes, b. ca. 1586, d. at Great Missenden between 09 September 1665 and 11 January 1666, about 80 years of age. The name of his wife or wives is not known. Great Missenden burials give several from which to choose.

I am beginning my research to identify if Richard (1) had any siblings or other family and of their descendants.

I have “NO” knowledge of England, however I will learn. Any assistance or guidance would be certainly greatly appreciated.

Robert Hawes

Linnet
25-03-2005, 5:59 PM
Hi

I don't know whether this is any help:

It would appear that Richard had a sister Elizabeth who was christened at Great Missenden on 3/2/1610. This appears on the IGI with the same batch number as Richard (1) which is supposed to indicate a sibling.

Is it possible that Richard (A) married a Susan Dean around 1604 in Great Missenden?

Regards

Linnet

rdhawes48
29-03-2005, 12:42 AM
Linnet,

Thanks for the information. I will look into that tonight. Also, sorry about the repeated paragraphs in my post. I'm new at this, but that is no excuse.

Again thanks for the lead on Richard's poss. sibling.

Regards

Robert