PDA

View Full Version : Baptism records; where do I start??

Jonesy
08-09-2009, 7:40 AM
I have a copy of the birth certificate of my potential grandfather dated 1908, and the residence of the informant is an address in Richmond.

So I'm assuming he was born near or at that address. The Father's name is not given, so I'm wondering, if he was baptised, I may get a Father's name then. I think the Mother married a year later, so the child may have been baptised then.

But I don't even know if he was baptised, let alone where. So where do I start?? Is there a parish record for the area, or do I need to check all local churches of the area?!|banghead|

Colin Moretti
08-09-2009, 8:02 AM
Hello Jonesy

Which Richmond? There are 3, one in W London the other 2 in Yorkshire (according to my atlas)

Colin

Kerrywood
08-09-2009, 8:21 AM
I have a copy of the birth certificate of my potential grandfather dated 1908, and the residence of the informant is an address in Richmond.

So I'm assuming he was born near or at that address. The Father's name is not given, so I'm wondering, if he was baptised, I may get a Father's name then. I think the Mother married a year later, so the child may have been baptised then.

But I don't even know if he was baptised, let alone where. So where do I start?? Is there a parish record for the area, or do I need to check all local churches of the area?!|banghead|

Jonesy,

Looking for a baptism in 1908 on the edge of the metropolitan area like this, close to the border of Middlesex and Surrey, is a daunting task. :( :(

* you might have to search a huge number of registers
* the family might not have been Anglican, and many nonconformist registers for this date have not been deposited
* Jack/John might not have been baptised at all
* at this date, a father is unlikely to be named in front of the clergy in church if he was not named on the birth certificate

That said, you might be lucky. Get hold of a contemporary map of the area, find the nearest Anglican church to the address on the birth certificate, and move outwards in increasing circles.

Registers for this area are generally at the Surrey History Centre in Woking, with some bishop's transcripts of Anglican parishes held at the LMA.

Kerrywood

Jonesy
08-09-2009, 8:25 AM
Thanks Kerrywood. Helpful as always! ;)

Peter Goodey
08-09-2009, 10:55 AM
So I'm assuming he was born near or at that address.

Not with you there. You shouldn't need to assume The place of birth is given on the certificate. What does it say? Exactly?

Jonesy
08-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Not with you there. You shouldn't need to assume The place of birth is given on the certificate. What does it say? Exactly?

Sorry, I was working from memory. Birth place is also the Richmond address.

Peter Goodey
08-09-2009, 12:52 PM
If you won't tell us the exact address, was it Grove Road Hospital or a precursor? Bear in mind that the address may look like a normal residential address.

Jonesy
08-09-2009, 5:19 PM
If you won't tell us the exact address, was it Grove Road Hospital or a precursor? Bear in mind that the address may look like a normal residential address.

It's no secret. :D The address Jack Rivolta was born at is 21 St John's Grove, Richmond. I'm assuming the address was lost either to WW2 bombing, or (more likely) development. This thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50692) covers this.

Peter Goodey
08-09-2009, 6:28 PM
I think the Mother married a year later, so the child may have been baptised then.

You need to get the details of the marriage. If the child was baptised after the marriage, it will show the husband as father. I take it you have checked for a later re-registration.

You may want to get the book "My Ancestor was a Bastard" obtainable through Parish Chest.

JenniLl
09-09-2009, 8:13 AM
Jack's surname may have been changed too, as I took a quick look at the 1911 census and there is no record of a Jack Rivolta born circa 1908.

JenniLl
09-09-2009, 8:50 AM
Have doe a little more research and come up with the following:-

Marriage of Ruby Rivolta 1909 Dec 2a 918

1911 census she is Ruby Wills along with her husband and son of the same surname they are living in Stockwell.

I can give you more details if you pm me.

Jenni

Kerrywood
09-09-2009, 10:55 AM
For anyone new to this thread who is tempted to dig, this previous thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42423) refers :)

Kerrywood

Jonesy
09-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Jack's surname may have been changed too, as I took a quick look at the 1911 census and there is no record of a Jack Rivolta born circa 1908.

Yes. If my assumptions are right, in 1911 he was Jack Wills, living with mother Ruby Wills, father(?) Henry Albert Wills and sister Violet Dorothy Wills.

The assumptions continue with him being abandoned and taken by the Police to the Bermondsey Guardians in 1912, as John Rivolta...:confused:

Edit: sorry Jenni, didn't see your post until I posted! I if you do have anything new, please PM me. :)