PDA

View Full Version : Stage/TV Connections - Jack Greaves

dagian
05-09-2009, 9:56 PM
I have uncovered a number of theatrical (etc) connections.
In particular I am trying to find info relating to Jack Greaves - he was an actor/singer/songwriter who was quite well known on the northern circuit after the war. He later appeared in early episodes of Coronation Street as an actor and wrote a song about the Soap for Max Bygraves (I have a vinyl copy). I am not sure but I believe his real name was John Colthard GRIEVE. He was married to Veronica Friend(/Kelshaw/Delaney), with whom he had an affair before they married. I have contacted Granada TV but they were not particularly helpful.

dagian
05-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi Finbar,

Unlikely. I believe his marriage was:

Register Office Manchester South 30 January 1932

John Colthard GRIEVE
(Age 36 Widower)
Music Hall Artiste

Veronica FRIEND
(Age 36 Divorced)
Music Hall Artiste

both of 19 May Street, Chorlton

Witnesses: M Desponds/B Desponds

-- which would mean he was born approx 1896.

I remember visiting him the 60s at which time he was working (as a Pensioner) on the door of Granada TV Studios and working as a TV extra.

Sue Mackay
06-09-2009, 7:59 AM
Definitely not. John Grieve was a great friend of my father's and I would have known if he'd been in Corrie ;)

-- which would mean he was born approx 1896.

Try googling "The Stage Archives". This is pay per view, but you can get a 24 hour pass very cheaply. I found out a lot about my actors/music hall artists - I even found a death announcement for a child I knew nothing about!

dagian
06-09-2009, 5:08 PM
Sue, Thanks for the tip regarding The Stage - I'll try it.

Finbar - you may have noticed that page on my site has not much detail which is why I am trying to fill in the gaps. Unsure whether the birth at West Derby is correct - it was the only John C Grieve I could find.

Thanks again.

Ian:)