PDA

View Full Version : Kitchin of Whitehaven circa 1845

Scottie
24-03-2005, 8:21 PM
I am searching for the marriage of John KITCHIN and a Hannah Unknown before 1845. It is possible that she was a TEDHUNTER as their second daughter was christened Hannah Tedhunter Kitchin on 27 Mar 1848 in Whitehaven. They had eleven children in all and my interest is in Ellen born 1858 who married William CRUMP about 1887 in Maryport. Can anyone help me please |help|

Heather
24-03-2005, 8:43 PM
I am 99% certain that "Tedhunter" was a transcription error......it should be "Todhunter"......and I have one of my Bowness women marrying a Todhunter with the first child buried in Whitehaven and named "Bowness Todhunter". I took a picture of the tombstone last year at St. James Church in Whitehaven.

In older documents, both the small O and the E look very similar. Check for a loop at the top of the O.

Heather

Scottie
25-03-2005, 10:42 AM
I am 99% certain that "Tedhunter" was a transcription error......it should be "Todhunter"......and I have one of my Bowness women marrying a Todhunter with the first child buried in Whitehaven and named "Bowness Todhunter". I took a picture of the tombstone last year at St. James Church in Whitehaven.

In older documents, both the small O and the E look very similar. Check for a loop at the top of the O.

Heather
Thanks Heather I found it in the 1881 disks so was unable to check the original sheet but I am sure you are right. I wondered if you have access to the 1871 census for Cumberland and could do a lookup for me. John Kitchin was dead by 1881 and I need to know his birth year and parish of birth |help| I would be most grateful if you could help me on this

Heather
29-03-2005, 4:34 AM
Thanks Heather I found it in the 1881 disks so was unable to check the original sheet but I am sure you are right. I wondered if you have access to the 1871 census for Cumberland and could do a lookup for me. John Kitchin was dead by 1881 and I need to know his birth year and parish of birth |help| I would be most grateful if you could help me on this Unfortunately, I do not have the 1871 census for Cumberland....but I am the List Admin for the Cumberland Mailing List and I am sure someone there would have it. My research is back in the mid-1700's, so I deal with just parish records.

Cheers......Heather
List Admin - CUL

Scottie
29-03-2005, 9:31 AM
Thanks Heather I will subscribe to the Cumberland list and ask

Geoff Everitt
31-03-2005, 12:33 PM
1871 5265/36

57a Church St, Whitehaven
John Kitchen 52 Accountant, Whitehaven
Hannah 48 Lamplugh
Sarah 15
Ellen 11 Sch
John 10 Sch
Albert Ed 8 Sch
William Hy 6
Isabella 1
Children all born W/H

Perhaps ..........

HANNAH TODHUNTER
Female
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 13 JUL 1823 Lamplugh, Cumberland, England
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: WILLIAM TODHUNTER Family
Mother: ANN
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

P001912 1813 - 1865

Scottie
01-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Dear Geoff,
Thank you very much. I also asked on the Rootsweb Cumberland list and received this 1871 information which led me to the IGI armed with new names and I found Hannah as well :) . It was good of you to take the time to look for me though. I do not suppose you have access to the 1861 |bowdown| ? I am looking for Joseph Crump and May or Mary and their family and also John Kitchin and Hannah. The latter should have 8 children in tow and the former 5.