PDA

View Full Version : Bermondsey records

Annieh
24-03-2005, 5:59 PM
Does anyone have any church records for Bermondsey please, about 1820 to 1845?
I am looking for a marriage between John Bennett of Clerkenwell and Jane ? of Bermondsey. I cannot go through the normal way but I got her name from 1861 census because I cannot find her son's birthday detail on the indexes for 1860.
Thanks
Annie

Stuman
29-03-2005, 8:41 AM
Bermondsey is not the easiest district to track down information. The parish records are almost all held at the London Metropolitan archives. The problem like many other London districts is that there is not just one parish in Bermondsey and in the time frame you quote there were new parishes being started almost on an annual basis. I have been trawlling the area in my luch hours for almost two years now and still have not found some of my family marriages and baptisms.

Annieh
02-04-2005, 1:06 PM
Birth date possibly 1821/2 for birth Jane Chapman born Bermondsey and it looks like they married in Lambeth Mar qtr 1840 so I will try that certificate for my sister in law.
I had been hoping to find census for 1841 and 1851 to see where they were but that could be anywhere. 1861 they are Southwark St George the Martyr.
Thanks
Anne