PDA

View Full Version : How would I find out if someone was alive?

samhuzz
04-09-2009, 7:17 PM
Might sound a weird question, but I'm looking for the grandmother of my partner. She was born in 1920, so could still possibly be alive. I've looked for a death under her maiden name, first married name and second married name but nothing. I have no idea where she would have lived.

Any ideas, or do you think I'll never find out?

Thanks

Sam

Peter Goodey
04-09-2009, 9:33 PM
You do realise don't you that until someone provides a searchable database, you have to painstakingly search the GRO indexes quarter by quarter?

That assumes you're talking about England and Wales.

v.wells
04-09-2009, 10:04 PM
If you add your location to your UserCP it would help us not send you to other countries for look ups.

It would also help if you had a starting birth and marriage place and county/country where her and her husband lived.

LittleMissP
04-09-2009, 11:28 PM
The death indexes also only go up to 2005 so she may have passed away after then and you wouldn't find her. Are there any other living relatives who might know more, even if it is rough area where she might have lived and might be found in phone books?

Jane_Adams
22-09-2009, 1:37 PM
You do realise don't you that until someone provides a searchable database, you have to painstakingly search the GRO indexes quarter by quarter?

That assumes you're talking about England and Wales.

As far as births and marriages go, Ancestry do have searchable indexes now. Sadly, you do still have to go through deaths quarter by quarter (between 1916 and 1984).

Nicolina
22-09-2009, 2:05 PM
you could also try the Electoral Roll, assuming that you are looking in the UK. However it may cost you but you would definitely need to register first. As it is a kind of pay to view site, I will PM the address.

samhuzz
22-09-2009, 5:14 PM
Hello

She married in Hillingdon in 1978 and her husband died there in 1991, so I would think that she would be living there if she was still alive.

Thanks

Sam

Pam Downes
22-09-2009, 6:32 PM
Hello

She married in Hillingdon in 1978 and her husband died there in 1991, so I would think that she would be living there if she was still alive.

Thanks

Sam
Have you got the husband's death certificate? If his wife registered the death then that greatly reduces the numbers of quarters you have to check in the GRO Index. :)
Pam