PDA

View Full Version : Greer - Alexander (b. 1806), Thomas, Esther

William Greer
03-09-2009, 11:31 PM
I live in Portland, Oregon. I am descended from Alexander L. Greer (b. County Down 1806), who (according to his obit) emigrated to the US around 1815 with his mother (name unknown), brother Thomas, and sister Esther. The family first lived in Cincinnati, Ohio. ALG's obituary states that as a youth he visited nearby Oxford, Ohio; I have info about a lot of Greers there but do not know when they immigrated or from what location. Shortly after arriving, ALG and his family moved to Covington, Kentucky, just across the river from Cincinnati. Esther married Allen Culbertson and remained in Covington. ALG became a prominent industrialist/businessman in Covington. ALG and Nancy Cox had James (b. ~ 1830 and remained in Covington). In sequence, the line continues with William (b. 1864), Leonard (b. 1901), William (b. 1926), and me (b. 1948 William Jr). I'm trying to find the names of ALG's parents, any additional ALG siblings, and the place in County Down where the family lived before emigrating. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Strangford
08-09-2009, 2:37 PM
Check out the Greers on this site. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/G/Greer.htm

Jane

William Greer
09-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the excellent link, but I found no hits for my ALG, TG, and EG. Because they emigrated around 1815, finding them is difficult! WG