PDA

View Full Version : Captain Hugh Pigot - alas, he's one of mine

MythicalMarian
03-09-2009, 8:39 PM
I'm shamed to death! (as my old gran, descendant of the Pigots would say.)

Having been thrilled to uncover my Pigot line recently, I now find that as black sheep go, this one was gold-plated! Hugh Pigot was the great nephew of my 7xgreat grandad (if you can work that out!) so thankfully he is not TOO close, but by all the gods - what a pig! Apparently he is notorious enough to have a Wikipedia entry, and he carries the dubious distinction of being the most sadistic and brutal officer in the history of the Royal Navy!

In 1797 he was captain of the HMS Hermione in the West Indies (despite being only 27 years old - his Dad was an Admiral) and drove his men to such desperation through constant floggings that they mutinied and murdered him.

I don't know whether to be happy or sad that I have found a book on Amazon - 'The Black Ship' by Dudley Pope - which arrived today about this chap. It is very odd to read about someone in your family in this way, although the story itself of the ship and the crew is fascinating and I am learning a great deal about naval service of the period through this well researched tome. But I am almost scared to turn the pages in case I find out even more dreadful things about 'our Hugh'

He's a far cry from the gentle vicars I have found in my Pigots so far, but it just goes to show - the more we dig, the more likelihood there is of uncovering an absolute rotter or two. |sad1|

Marie C..
03-09-2009, 8:58 PM
Don't be "shamed to death", Mythical Marian,
There is good and bad in all families and in people. Those were brutal times. The navy could never have functioned on gentleness and indiscipline. We look back with horror at the things that went on, the inhumanity towards fellow man but that is how things were. Marie

MythicalMarian
03-09-2009, 9:23 PM
I just checked him in my FH database 'relationship' thingy and it says 2nd cousin 7 times removed! But thank goodness he didn't marry and have kids - can you imagine being the direct descendant of such a man!

Marie - thanks for the support. It's true that we have to take on board all that we find, whether we like it or not. I'm usually OK with putting people and their actions into their historical context and not judging them by our standards, but it seems Hugh was judged even in his own day as an out and out rogue. Ah well, he's in Davy Jones' Locker now, as they threw him overboard still alive in his 'blood-soaked nightshirt' :eek:

I'm still trying to find out what definitely happened to my other 'black sheep' 3xgreat grandad Thomas Pigot - another naval man - goodness knows what I'll find. However, I am awaiting a certain birth certificate that may help me pin down his death to within a couple of years at least, as I suspect his widow remarried. Can't be sure yet. Come on GRO :D

pipsqueak
03-09-2009, 9:54 PM
All the horrible people in history have descendants (or at least distant relatives). Be glad that he lived a very long time ago, and as you say, he was only distantly related to you. Imagine how all those Pigot vicars would feel!

Barnzzz
03-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Crikey, he sounds a nasty piece of work, 85 floggings in 9 months! I wonder what sort of career or life he'd have if he was alive today.
Sue