PDA

View Full Version : Railway service

nosebig
02-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Can anyone help me with my inquiry.I am szeeking background info om my great grandfather.
He lived in Battersea /Clapham area. He reside in various streets but all in the same area.Motley,Bramwell streets and Gonsalva road.
All these locations where near longhedge works and the Midland Railway goods yard.
His occupations were listed as A Coal dealer (1884). Coal porter (1889 -1915) Coal loader (1920).
He seemed to have Railway connections as one daughter married a Shunter / Guard for the SCER/SR and a Marriage cert of his son it lists Father in laws profession as a Engine driver.
I may be clutching the wrong end of the stick.He may have no railway service, can anyone offer any ideas.
Wally

AdeleE
03-09-2009, 12:50 AM
If you give us his name, year of birth & enough info to find him on a census (eg wife's name, some children, then we can see if the census enumerator has specified a more detailed occupation on a census record.

Adele

nosebig
04-09-2009, 8:54 AM
Hi Adele, Done that,Regards Wally

Geoffers
04-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Do the census returns have any notes or marks added by clerks analysing the entries, which indicate that he worked for a railway? You can often find such notes written in pencil in a different hand.

There are a couple of research guides - click on those prefixed 'railways (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp?WT.lp=gs-researchguides&j=1#r)' - although access to the records will obviously be difficult from your location.