PDA

View Full Version : Great Uncle Fred Found.

J Woodley
02-09-2009, 6:22 AM
Uncle Fred Woodley has been found. He was a Driver No: T14404 in the Army Service Corps and died at Blomfontein on 24th. February 1902. If possible I would like to get a copy of his Death Certificate but am unable to find him in any of the GRO Indices. Has anybody any ideas.

Boleyn Lady
02-09-2009, 7:45 AM
Hi There,
I am a real newby to this site but want to get started helping any way I can.. I do know of a fellow that might be able to help but he charges a fee. I think he,s a Soldier but helps people searching for info on their ancestors..
I will send you a pm.

Marion

Procat
02-09-2009, 8:45 AM
Uncle Fred Woodley has been found. He was a Driver No: T14404 in the Army Service Corps and died at Blomfontein on 24th. February 1902. If possible I would like to get a copy of his Death Certificate but am unable to find him in any of the GRO Indices. Has anybody any ideas.

Interesting - he should appear in the overseas indexes but I could not find him on Findmypast.

kaigs
02-09-2009, 8:59 AM
Good day,
Driver 14404 Fred Woodley with the ASC died of disease in Bloemfontein & is buried in the cemetery in Waverley Road Bloemfontein. His name appears on the Cathay Park memorial in Cardiff.
Sometimes there is a chance that a Death Notice or MSCE as it's called, is raised at the nearest National Archives, however I've been onto there site and no Fred Woodley.
Regards
Brian

Marie C..
02-09-2009, 2:02 PM
Have you triedlooking for an Alfred Woodley? Just a thought!M

J Woodley
05-09-2009, 6:55 AM
Hello All.
Pleased to be able to report that Uncle Fred has been found again. Mis-spelling of name to Wordley caused the problem. Have now found him in " DEATHS. GRO NATAL 1899 - 1902".

Marion (Boleyn Lady). We have both been using the same chap with excellent results.

Brian (kaigs). Many thanks for the information on his place of burial and the Cathay Park memorial at Cardiff. This threw me for a while until I remembered that he was born in Wales but to transient English parents.

Thanks to all for your assistance.
Regards
John.:)