PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with research interests in Co Tyrone?

Allena
31-08-2009, 5:03 PM
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone on this Board has any research interests based in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland? I've done quite a bit of research around the Caledon, Dyan, Aughnacloy areas and am particulary interested in Hadden, Knox, Given, Irwin, Mercer, Wilson, Wright, Hoey connections. Willing to share or assist in any way I can.

Hall/Swan
04-09-2009, 6:04 PM
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone on this Board has any research interests based in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland? I've done quite a bit of research around the Caledon, Dyan, Aughnacloy areas and am particulary interested in Hadden, Knox, Given, Irwin, Mercer, Wilson, Wright, Hoey connections. Willing to share or assist in any way I can.

Some Caledon/Glaslough/Aughnacloy/E Trough area interests...also Carnteel/Clonanesse research to do..some of your names look familiar. I also have 2 independent Wright connections...

Nicolina
04-09-2009, 6:07 PM
I have McCann from Aughnacloy but have never researched them.

Shayner
04-09-2009, 9:45 PM
Hi Alenna,

I have Bernard MCCOWELL b 25 Dec 1815 County Tyrone according to his death registration. His oldest child was born in Canada in 1849.

If you could give me a hint as to where to start hunting, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you,
Shayne

ELRYDER
05-09-2009, 2:38 AM
I am interested in the Ardboe, Co. Tyrone area.....looking for any information on Ryder....James Malachy and Mary V. (Rogers) ( Principal and Vice Principal of Ardboe elementary school.
Thanks

susan-y
05-09-2009, 2:44 AM
Hi Allena...

What a nice offer, thankyou.:)
I may take you up on it in a later date as we are in the middle of renovating and moving to a new property...hopefully I can still find you in a month or two.;)

Sue

jmduke
05-09-2009, 3:51 AM
I've just begun tracing my Tyrone roots, but not much progress to date. Surnames of interest so far are CRANE, COUSINS or MOSES, residing in or near Omagh. In particular, I have John Crane (b.Omagh on 15 August 1883) and his wife Sarah Ann Cousins (b. 1 January 1886). They were married in 2nd Presbyterian Church in Omagh on 26 November 1903, and emigrated to Canada in 1907. She was the daughter of Thomas Cousins and Ann Moses of Six Mile Cross.

Hall/Swan
06-09-2009, 8:40 AM
Hi Allena...

What a nice offer, thankyou.:)
I may take you up on it in a later date as we are in the middle of renovating and moving to a new property...hopefully I can still find you in a month or two.;)

Sue

SNAP!!

If your renovations are like mine then 2 months = 4 months....if not, can I borrow your builders?? |idea|:D

Allena
24-09-2009, 9:43 AM
Hello ... everyone!
Sorry for the delay in responding to all your kind welcoming words. I am pleased to meet you all and hope we can 'chat' more in the future.

In haste ...
A

Hall/Swan
24-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Well you already know my Tyrone connections...Hacketts of Fymore, Martha who went to Monaghan but here's another one which leads me into Tyrone....Hugh William Kelso McLoughlin Son of James McLoughlin, Aughnacloy, Co. Tyrone married Martha Elizabeth Hall on 8 Oct 1896 in E Truagh.

Hall/Swan
24-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Can't find them in census!|computer|

Calder
14-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Interested in the Haughey/Haughie surname in and around Dungannon, County Tyrone - mid to late 19th century.

Thanks.

Barry Graham
15-12-2010, 11:28 AM
My interests are:

HADDEN - Ballygawley/Golan/Cavankilgreen
IRWIN - Carrowbeg/Dungannon/Benburb
McCAMEY - Killyneery

Barry Graham
Melbourne, Australia

Fiona67
02-07-2011, 12:20 AM
I am researching the Morrow family from around Dungannon.......some of the family came to Australia in the 1840's

Fiona

BeeE586
02-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Just found this post !

I am seeking the birth of a Moses Blair born c1798 in Co. Tyrone according to census. He had an interesting life in Derbyshire, practising as a herbalist and quack doctor, often in trouble with the police and made several court appearences.

Many thanks for your kind offer.

Eileen

Chasing Caseys
10-07-2011, 9:35 AM
I perked up when i saw this post by Allena offering help and was going to post myself but then i noticed that the member hasnt been active regarding on site posts for nearly two years.
Maybe i will wait and see if this thread wakes up.................

Barry Graham
22-09-2011, 10:40 AM
I have Hadden ancestors from Golan, near Aughnacloy - Irwin ancestors from around Dungannon, Benburb and McCamey connections from Killyneery/Rousky area. One of the McCamey women married a Givens.

KathleenC
28-10-2011, 11:49 PM
A cousin and I have a one-name study for the surname McElrea at www.mcelrea.org. As far as we know, the family seems to have sprung up around Omagh. We are trying to learn how many are connected - families in US, Canada, Ireland, England, Australia, New Zealand and Scotland.

We also have interests in connected families: Fulton, Forsythe, Hamilton, Borland, and many more.

LolaElizabeth
22-10-2013, 6:00 AM
Hi,

I'd love to swap information on your Haddens, please. Wm. b c 1799 to James & Jane Hadden
Contact me at lola_westellATtelusDOTnet

Janette1169
02-11-2014, 6:54 PM
Hi. I have an interest in the Johnston's from Aughnacloy/Aghaloo. My 4x great grandfather James Johnston returned there after being discharged from the army. He lost an arm at the battle of Talavera around 1809/1810. All his children were born, there all left the area. I'm still no closer to discovering if he stayed in the area alone with his wife Mary or moved on.
If you have any information or know of this Johnston family. Any info would be most appreciated. Im sure there are and were plenty of Johnstons in the area but not many with one arm, so hopefully it may narrow it down a little. I would dearly love to know if he and his wife are buried there or not before I make a trip over next Spring/Summer

Kind regards Janette

McGene
25-01-2017, 1:32 PM
Hi,
In chasing I came across service record of Service Number 328, Private Patrick McGuire, on 5th January 1824 at age 18 joins 94th Foot at Omagh sworn per Justice of the Peace Magistrate Daniel Wilson) Esq (signed Dan Wilson.
Patrick Served 16 yrs incl offshore and was discharged in 1840, "returning home". The record of 16 pages comes from images (.jpg) of the archived original. Any relatives of Wilson will find his handwriting and signature.

Any knowledge of Magistrate Wilson?

Any clues in identifying if/who this Patrick married, and any offspring? His parents and birth?

I have a friend (Wilson) who emigrated as a very young child from Omagh about 40 years ago, with parents and siblings. The information is her Wilson lot are a longstanding Omagh family.

Elwyn Soutter
26-01-2017, 1:43 PM
Daniel Wilson is listed in Pigots Directory for Omagh in 1824:

http://www.failteromhat.com/pigot/0116.pdf

he is no longer listed by 1846 and so presumably had died.

McGene
27-01-2017, 9:16 AM
Daniel Wilson is listed in Pigots Directory for Omagh in 1824:

http://www.failteromhat.com/pigot/0116.pdf

he is no longer listed by 1846 and so presumably had died.

Thanks for the information and links to Pigot's Directory. Daniel Wilson could have died or retired.
Are records available regarding training and/or registration of Justice(s) of the Peace? Presumably they were employed by the British Govt.?

I have another question regarding Slater's Directory Omagh 1846, and will post it separately

Elwyn Soutter
27-01-2017, 10:29 AM
There are 2 separate roles here. A Justice of the Peace (JP) is a respected local person, of good character, who has certain official duties and roles. They can authorize certain documents, eg in the past they authorised search warrants to the police and other law enforcement agencies. They also can sit in a Petty Sessions court. (A minor court). If they sit in a minor court they either sit alongside a Magistrate or they sit in threes and are advised on the law by the clerk of the court. They are lay, they don’t receive any payment and in the past they didn’t receive any training either, though that has changed nowadays for those who sit in court.

In Ireland the practice of sitting alongside a magistrate (known for years as the Resident Magistrate, or RM) fizzled out and eventually the RM sat on his own. In England & Wales JPs do still sit in threes at minor courts. And they still sit in Scotland too, though I don’t know much about that system.

So a JP had no training. They were respected citizens who were expected to use their judgment and common sense in assessing a person’s guilt. They also dealt with civil matters eg issuing drinks licenses to pubs and hotels. It was, and still is, seen as a way of involving local people in local justice. (You can only be employed in the area in which you live). The role would normally only take up one or two days a month and could be combined with other employment or duties.

Magistrate is a slightly different role. They also sat in judgment at lower courts but were salaried, and full-time. Often a local big landowner, they were frequently former soldiers or civil servants, and were appointed by the Crown, in practice by the administration at Dublin Castle. In the early years they didn’t have any legal training, unless by accident. Nowadays that has changed and the magistrates (or District Judges as they are now called) are all legally qualified and trained for the role.

You can read a bit more about it on this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_magistrate

Daniel Wilson is described as an esq(uire) which means he was of independent means, and fits the role of a locally respected person. It isn’t entirely clear to me whether he was a JP and a lay magistrate, or whether a Resident Magistrate (probably the former, I suspect) but in either case, in the 1820s, he wouldn’t have had any legal training. As a JP he would have been appointed by the Lord Lieutenant of the county (ie the King or Queen’s representative in the county) and that was about it.

You could check the National Archives in Dublin, especially those relating to the Dublin Castle Administration but I’d be surprised if you find anything on him, or anything more than a record that he had been appointed as a JP.

coralstone
13-04-2017, 9:07 AM
My Great Grandfather was James Hall I don't know what part of Tyrone county he came from.He came to Australia vic .He married Emma Semple & had a family.I have hit a brick wall where is concerned.Coral Stone

McGene
13-04-2017, 11:15 AM
There are 2 separate roles here. A Justice of the Peace (JP) is a respected local person, of good character, who has certain official duties and roles......

You could check the National Archives in Dublin, especially those relating to the Dublin Castle Administration but I’d be surprised if you find anything on him, or anything more than a record that he had been appointed as a JP.

Thanks very much Elwyn for your comprehensive and informative post in reply.

McGene
13-04-2017, 11:33 AM
My Great Grandfather was James Hall I don't know what part of Tyrone county he came from.He came to Australia vic .He married Emma Semple & had a family.I have hit a brick wall where is concerned.Coral Stone

You probably know this already Emma Matilda SEMPLE wed James HALL 1872; Victoria Marriages #1531. Have you inspected his death certificate? It could give place of birth. Was he a brickmaker? What more do you know about James Hall?

TracyTill
08-06-2017, 4:39 PM
Seeking information the Strabane Work House in County Tyrone - 4x great grandfather was Felix Lynch (and siblings Jane and Susan) - know they all 3 took the ENVOY ship to Canada in 1850. Want to find parents and path within this area to learn more about our family. Will be visiting area in September and hope to dig up more information beforehand. Thanks!

Elwyn Soutter
08-06-2017, 5:37 PM
The records for Strabane Workhouse are kept in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. They are not on-line and a personal visit is required to view them. There are admission records though I don't know what years they cover. There are also the Board of Guardians minutes (i.e. the management meetings). They may be worth searching as well in case the family is mentioned there, especially if a group of people from the Workhouse left together.

TracyTill
08-06-2017, 6:08 PM
Thank you! Was hopeful there were some reliable online sources - but will definitely plan to stop here in September. Thanks!

McGene
08-06-2017, 9:44 PM
The records for Strabane Workhouse are kept in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast......

Very helpful post. It helps me plan my next research trip to Ireland.

Elwyn Soutter
08-06-2017, 10:09 PM
I had a search around and sadly it doesn't appear that there are any Workhouse records for Strabane prior to 1862. See:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Strabane/

TracyTill
20-08-2017, 1:44 PM
Hello! I am seeking information on a Charles Lynch and a Mary Bradley Lynch - who were in/around this region. I know of three children - Jane, Susan and Felix. All of the kids list Strabane Workhouse as their residence prior to leaving. The three children took the boat in 1851 to Quebec - where they all married/lived. On all three marriage certificates they list the above names as parents, and that they are deceased. Can't find much else! Any help would be appreciated. Knowing that the name Felix is quite interesting - and naming patterns typically follow a senior (grandfather/brother or ?) - there may be another Felix in the family tree. My Felix (the child) named his children - Francis Felix; Charles Edward; Felix John - so again, the family names keep repeating. Thoughts? Thanks!

Elwyn Soutter
20-08-2017, 3:05 PM
Death registration didn’t start in Ireland till 1864 before that, there probably won’t be any record of it. The RC church generally doesn’t keep burial records in Ireland, and sadly someone whose children ended up in the workhouse probably wasn’t wealthy enough to have a gravestone.

There are several RC parishes in the area. Ardstraw East only has baptisms from 1860 onwards; Ardstraw West from 1846; Clonleigh has records from 1836 with gaps. The RC parish records are on-line free on the National Library site:

http://registers.nli.ie/parishes

If Charles & Mary died after 1864 there should be a death certificate for them, probably registered in Strabane. You can view the original certificates on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 (sterling) to a view a certificate.

mckennac
20-01-2024, 12:19 AM
Hello, many years have passed since you made this message but these are my great-grandparents. What information are you interested in?

mckennac
20-01-2024, 12:21 AM
I am interested in the Ardboe, Co. Tyrone area.....looking for any information on Ryder....James Malachy and Mary V. (Rogers) ( Principal and Vice Principal of Ardboe elementary school.
Thanks

These are my great-grandparents. I could maybe help you!

christanel
24-01-2024, 7:55 PM
Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums mckennac.
Unfortunately ELRYDER is no longer a member of BG (as indicated by the word 'Guest' under their avatar) so will not receive notification of your post.
Now you have taken the trouble to join our forums why not stick around and see what we have to offer those needing help with their pesky ancestors or if you need help our knowledgeable and friendly members love trying to solve puzzles.
Christina