PDA

View Full Version : How do I find details of a court case?

timfoster
30-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I have a relative who was tried for, and acquitted of, rape at the Nottingham Summer Asizes in 1831.

I'm not 100% certain which Isaac Berkin it is as there seems to be three of them. I have records for the father (married in 1797 to Ann). There is then a christening for an Isaac in December that same year. He was christened on 18 Dec 1797, so 8 months after the (shotgun?) wedding.

The third Isaac was born in 1805. This date fits with the siblings who were all born 1803-1809. This obviously raises a quesiton about 1797 Isaac. Did he die? Why did they call 1805 Isaac too?

Anyway, my original question. I think the rapist Isaac is most likely to be 1805 Isaac. I'd like to find out more details about the case but I have no idea where to start. The three people below him in the record were also charged with rape. They were found guilty and sentenced to death (hanged on 24th August 1831). Were they all part of a gang? Did Isaac grass on the others so that he could get off? The record says 'no prosecution' which seems a little odd. How can I fidn out more?

Any help would be appreciated.

lesleys
30-08-2009, 2:19 PM
Have you looked at the 19th Century British Newspapers online - I dont know if Nottingham papers are represented but if the case was big enough it might have made a national.

timfoster
30-08-2009, 2:25 PM
Have you looked at the 19th Century British Newspapers online - I dont know if Nottingham papers are represented but if the case was big enough it might have made a national.

Where can I find these? I know the Nottingham paper is called the Evening Post, but this didn't begin until 1843.

I had a look at the link given for the National Archive,and that seemed to imply that they woud have the full details, but it's not so easy to get there. Newspapers would be a great place to look, if only I knew where.

AnnB
30-08-2009, 4:03 PM
I put Isaac's name into the Gale databases but came up with zilch.:(

Best wishes
Ann

timfoster
30-08-2009, 4:32 PM
I put Isaac's name into the Gale databases but came up with zilch.:(

Best wishes
Ann

Gale databases?

I searched the British Library newspapers link, but there is nothing there either.

I'll try calling the National Archive on Monday.

timfoster
30-08-2009, 4:47 PM
I've just googled Isaac Berkin and guess what? I found loads of stuff! Nothing so far about the rape, but a website (http://www.kirkend.com/rft/toc5.html) listing ten generations decendant from rapist Isaacs grandfather, Charles.

carolchipp
30-08-2009, 6:32 PM
Hi Tim,
Re your newspaper search. There was a trial at the Nottingham summer assizes of three men convicted of rape. Two were sentenced to death, the third being dealt with more leniantly because of his age. There was a fourth accused who proved he was with his mother on the night in question - not your chap. Possibly the three listed beneath your ancestor are from a different case to his. The only report of the above mentioned trial, held at the Town hall, mentions that there were no cases of importance that day at the Court house, other than another rape case. I guess this could have been the case relating to Isaac but it wasn't reported. So it does look like the newspapers are a dead end, unless a library in the area has archives of a small regional paper.
Carol

timfoster
30-08-2009, 8:49 PM
Hi Tim,
Re your newspaper search. There was a trial at the Nottingham summer assizes of three men convicted of rape. Two were sentenced to death, the third being dealt with more leniantly because of his age. There was a fourth accused who proved he was with his mother on the night in question - not your chap. Possibly the three listed beneath your ancestor are from a different case to his. The only report of the above mentioned trial, held at the Town hall, mentions that there were no cases of importance that day at the Court house, other than another rape case. I guess this could have been the case relating to Isaac but it wasn't reported. So it does look like the newspapers are a dead end, unless a library in the area has archives of a small regional paper.
Carol

Hmmmph. Thanks Carol. Where did you find the info? If it is a dead end it'll be a shame, but I guess that's part of the game.

carolchipp
30-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Hi,
I found the report in the Times Digital Archive Thursday July 28 1831. Having just re-read the article, it says in the other case (not reported) neither the prosecutrix or any witnesses attended, and no bill was preferred against the prisoner and he was therefore discharged by proclamation.This would have been on the 25th. Sounds like it could be your man but I can't find any further reference to this case anywhere.
Carol

AnnB
31-08-2009, 7:02 AM
Gale databases?

The Times and 19th Century British Library Newspapers, which I can access on-line via my local library.

Well done to Carol for pinning down the report of the assizes in the Times :)

Best wishes
Ann

rhood
09-02-2010, 4:09 PM
Hi
There is a pretty full account of the Rape and hanging in my copy of the Nottingham Date Book. Three offenders are named, the third being transported. It does look as though there was a fourth who is not named nor poceeded against. As a matter of interest there was a 15000 turnout for the execution. Let me know if you need the article

timfoster
09-02-2010, 4:21 PM
Hi rhood,

Yes please if you have it.

I've re-read the thread again, and from what people are saying it may not have been by Isaac. It's been a while since I looked at this branch and so I don't know for certain what evidence I have either way, but the article would be great if you've got it.

We'll be going to Nottingham at some point in the next few months, so I may pay a visit to the archive and see what I can find.

Where did you get your Date Book? I found some really cool old Nottingham related books in a dusty old book shop on Mansfield Road last time we were in the UK. I could have spent thousands in there, but customs may have got excited if I tried taking home 2 tons of ancient books!

RoyW
11-02-2010, 8:02 PM
Hi

I had some difficulty trying to find information regarding an ancestor's court apperance. I found in the local records office documents titled 'Calendar of Assize' which listed all the cases with names to be heard a specific Court Assizes. This may halp find further information regarding your Isaac, it helped me find the mine.

Roy