PDA

View Full Version : Heseltine family in Yorkshire and London

shelwin
23-03-2005, 5:24 PM
My earliest known direct relative is an Edward Hasletine, who married Anna Maria Burnett on 15th August 1750 in St George's Chapel, Hyde Park, London. Before that I can find nothing further about him, except for a family belief that there was a Yorkshire connection. I have yet to see if there is a record of the marriage in the Chapel records, although this probably won't help much.

Anna was christened in St Paul's, Covent Garden, on 26th June 1724, the eldest child of Samuel Burnett and Bethia(h). Again, nothing further is known.

Knowing that there are several Heseltine families in Yorkshire, some of whom helped to swell the population of New England, does anyone claim an Edward Heseltine (could be spelt several ways) who came to London to make his fortune - or indeed any other earlier relative?

Regards,

Edwin Macadam
Oxford, UK

BRUTNELL
10-08-2006, 2:59 PM
Edward Hasletine May Have Been Married Before To Elizabeth Bewick 1st April 1740 Hemingbrough Yorkshire.

shelwin
26-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Edward Hasletine May Have Been Married Before To Elizabeth Bewick 1st April 1740 Hemingbrough Yorkshire.

Sorry not to respond before, but thanks for this tip! However, the IGI gives no further information, ie there is no date for any death of an Elizabeth Ha(e)seltine between 1740 and 1750, nor will it produce any children at about the correct date for Edward and Elizabeth.

The list of Edward Heseltines (spelling various) on the IGI who might have been married both in 1740 and again in 1750, (especially as I think he married again on 23 Aug 1781 a Rebecca Boyce in St Martin's in the Fields) looks a bit doubtful, so what I think I am looking for is a son called Edward who remains untraced on a family tree, but who might have turned up in London about 1740-1750.

From that point of view, two IGI candidates are:

Edward Heseltine chr. 13 FEB 1726 Conistone In Craven, Yorkshire
Edward Heseltine chr. 26 MAR 1727 Wressell, Yorkshire

or even

Edward Haseltine chr. 02 APR 1732 Houghton Le Spring, Durham

Various spellings of the name have been found, but mainly only either with an e (usual) or an a (infrequent so far, and then only before 1800)