PDA

View Full Version : HANNAH DE LARA AND HENRY RUSSELL

phillip
29-08-2009, 2:57 PM
For researchers interested in the history of Henry Russell ( originally Levy- son of Moses Russell and Sarah Levine) b 24 Dec 1812 Sheerness Kent d 8 Dec 1900- he married Hannah De Lara b 6 Sept 1844 d 15 March 1922. Hannah was the daughter of Sarah Abigail Cohen Crawcour and David Laurent ( Cohen) De Lara.
Sarah was the daughter of Isaac Crawcour surgeon dentist d 1837 and Simha Cohen De Lara.

Hannah and Henry had 2 sons- Henry R Russell who married 1 Nina da Costa Andrade and 2 Donna Shinn and 3 Lady Patricia Ethel Blackwood

Sir Landon Russell Ronald b 7 June 1873 married 1 Mimi Ettlinger 2 Mary Callison

Hannah had several siblings and these will be listed on another posting.

Hannah is related to the various Crawcour families listed under the various Crawcour postings. Her grandfather Isaac was the son of Samuel Crawcour b1748-1816 my 5 x great grandfather.
Phillip

phillip
30-11-2018, 3:39 PM
This post is the start of further posts on the Henry Russell- Isabella Lloyd-Hannah De Lara aka Emma Landon Ronald lines. I have recently posted further data on Adelina De Lara aka Lottie Tilbury aka Preston and cited other threads which clearly showed the relationships through marriages between my Crawcour and Hart lines to the Russell/De Lara.
Further research will be posted which shows the additional relationship through marriage between the Russell lines and my Jacobs/Hart paternal lines.

As a start, here is a summary of the Henry Russell 1812-1900 lines which descended from Moses aka Moshe Russell 1771-1857 and Sarah Levin 1779-1847. See Cemetery Scribes records for Moses Russell and Sarah Levin and their children. See also Israel Russell 1799-1884 ID 3347 who was a brother of Henry.
Nb The Israel Russell line relates through his son Simon Henry Russell aka George Henry Russell through marriage to Catherine Virginia Levy daughter of Daniel Levy and Amelia Jacobs ( Amelia Jacobs daughter of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses my 4x great grandparents) see Thread George Henry Russell-Catherine Virginia Levy started 9.3.2013.

There are numerous references to Henry Russell in a wide range of articles but the Jewish Chronicle obituary for Henry Russell plus further references to his sons born with Hannah De Lara aka Emma Landon Ronald provide an important resource for the research into the various family relationships.
In addition, Dan Russell in Australia has posted a detailed family history of The Russell Family ( see World Connect site and data from 2016 and earlier). Dan and I were in contact regarding the Crawcour/Jacobs/Levy relationships.

Jeremy I Pfeffer in his book From One End of the Earth to the other. The London Bet Din, 1805-1855, and the Jewish Convicts transported to Australia, Sussex Academic Press,2008;2010 wrote about the Russell family of Sheerness..."There is a tradition in the Russell family to this very day, that their ancestor was a German Jew named Levy who came to England early in the eighteenth century and that he had stipulated in his will that only those of his offspring who adopted English surnames would benefit from his estate. it would appear that his two children, Michael and Esther, for reasons unknown, chose the new name Russell. Unfortunately, there is no record of whom Michael Russell married but we do know the couple had six children; four boys Philip, Moses, Henry, Mark and two girls Rebecca and Esther, all born between 1763 and 1779...Michael Russell's two oldest sons, Philip and Moses married two sisters, Catherine and Sarah, daughters of one Mr Mordecai, at the New Synagogue in 1796 and 1798 respectively. Moses was a government clerk and the sixth of his and Sarah's nine children was Henry Russell, the renowned nineteenth century composer of popular songs." Pp214-215

Henry Russell 1812-1900 was to marry twice, the first to a non Jew Isabella Lloyd with whom he had 7 children and the second to Hannah De Lara aka Emma Landon Ronald with whom he had two sons.

I will post data on each of the lines.

Phillip

phillip
01-12-2018, 9:51 AM
As a follow up to the previous posts here is an initial outline of the children of Henry Russell from his 2 marriages:
Henry Russell 1812-1900-Isabella Lloyd 1811-1886 -they were married St Pancras 2 April 1835. Their children- Isabella 1835-1886;Henry Lloyd 1837-1923;Charles Kirkam 1842-1846;William Clark 1844-1911;Frances (Fanny) Marcella 1845-1925;John Henry Sharpe 1849-1925;Emma 1855-

Henry Russell- Hannah de Lara aka Emma Landon Ronald 1844-1922-children:
Henry (Ronald) 1871-1937; Landon Ronald 1873-1938

I will post data on each of the children and their marriages.

As previously posted the Russell line further relate via marriages to my Crawcour/Hart/Jacobs/Levy lines.

Much of the data on Henry Russell is taken from his Obituary which appeared in the Jewish Chronicle Dec 14,1900.
Here is a extract from the obituary. I have omitted details on Henry Russell's musical life overseas in various countries including America and Canada as well as the UK. These appear in various online and other sources.
"Henry Russell was born in Sheerness on December 24,1812. His father Moses Russell (Moshe Russell was his more familiar cognomen), held a Government appointment in that town. Moses Russell married a Miss Levin, of Koningsburg, a niece of Solomon Hirschell, and he died in 1857.
Mr Matthias Levy ( a nephew of Mr Russell) in his work on the Western Synagogue, mentioned that at one time the Russell family were active members of the Congregation -in particular Israel Russell (Henry Russell's brother)....Mr Russell sang his last song in public about 35 years ago. It was a performance which he gave at Lancaster.. he was suddenly seized with a nervous shock. From that time he entirely abandoned his career.. In 1896 he was seized by a severe illness from which he happily recovered..
Although Mr Russell having lived a wandering life for many years did not move prominently in Jewish circles, he had many close friends among his coreligionists, including Sir Moses Montefiore, the Rev A L Green and the Levy family ( of Daily Telegraph fame)... Sir Edward Lawson .. he has decribed as his'oldest and most valued friend..

Mr Russell twice married. His first wife was not of the Jewish faith, was a daughter of Lloyd the banker. Mr Russell always regretted having married out of his community. His second wife was Miss De Lara, member of a well known Jewish family, who tended him with great devotion in his latter years and survives him. Their youngest son Mr Landon Russell, the musician, was married a few years ago in the West London Synagogue.
To the great surprise and disappointment of his Jewish friends and connections, Mr Russell was buried on Monday at Kensal Green Cemetery with Christian rites.This remarkable arrangement may perhaps be explained by the fact that his children by his first wife were brought up in the Christian faith, and that one of them the Rev.Henry Lloyd Russell, is a clergyman in the Church of England. The Rev. Mr Russell officiated on Monday, and he would not have been able to do so if his father had been buried in a Jewish Cemetery".

Whether or not Henry Russell wanted to be buried according to Church of England or Jewish rites is not known at present and he may have expressed no preference.

As the data on the births of the two sons with Hannah de Lara aka Emma Landon Ronald shows, Henry had a relationship with her during his marriage to Isabella and the boys were born illegitimate.

I will post further.

Phillip

phillip
01-12-2018, 1:39 PM
The following census records show Henry Russell with his first wife Isabella and some of their children and also Hannah De Lara aka Emma Landon Ronald:
1861 (Copyright TNA) RG9 62 34 32
104 Regent Street Westminster Middlesex
Henry Russell H M 44 no occupation recorded and no details of birth place
Isabella wife 49 no details
Fanny dau 15 no details
Emma dau 6 no details
+1 servant

1871 (Copyright TNA) RG104 47 39
17 Westbourne Park Paddington
Henry Russell H M 56 Musician b Sheerness
Isabella wife 59 b Birmingham
+1 servant

1881 (Copyright TNA) RG11 91 17 1
4 Hanover Square St George London )Oriental Club)
Henry Russell M 67 NK b Kent

1881 (Copyright TNA) RG11 140 86 28
11 Harley Street Cavendish Square Marylebone London

Emma L Ronald H M 36 Boarding house keeper b City of London
Han???L son 7 b Middx Paddington
Henry son 9 b Middx Paddington
Rosie P MOORE niece 9 b St Pancras
+4 servants + 3 visitors

Nb Rosie P Moore is the daughter of Semirah De Lara b 1831 and William Playters Moore a solicitor. Semirah De Lara is the daughter of Sarah Abigail Cohen Crawcour

More data to follow.

Phillip

phillip
02-12-2018, 3:48 PM
Henry Russell does not seem to appear in the 1851 Census. One reason maybe was that he was out of the country on tour. The Jewish Chronicle appears to support that speculation because his concerts were recorded from 1843 including articles relevant to him up to his death. I am aware that there are numerous newspaper articles relating to Henry Russell and his concerts including reference to his burial and the death of Hannah his wife.
In 1843 the Jewish Chronicle reported ( March 17,1843) " A public concert..Mr Henry Russell the popular singer being about to return to the United States, made a hansome donation to the charity.(Western Society for clothing and educating Jewish Boys)..he was solicited to give a concert for its benefits-and consented.The performance was only practicable on the evening preceding his departure for America..."

There are reference to various donations by Henry Russell in the Jewish Chronicle but no references to concerts post 1843 and early 1850s. However, there is a reference to three of his nieces the daughters of his brother Israel Russell and Elizabeth Alexander ( see 1851 Anglo Jews data base -Jewish Gen and Cemetery Scribes for data on the children of Israel and Elizabeth.)
The Russell Family ( Jewish Chronicle Nov 18,1853)
"On Thursday evening the 10th inst. the Misses Annette,Charlotte and Maria Russell, nieces of Mr Henry Russell, the talented and popular singer, made their debut in London as songstresses, at a concert given at Marylebone Literary Institution, under the patronage of the Rothschild family."

The nieces were:
Anna aka Ann aka Annette Russell b 1829=Edward Falcke; Charlotte Russell b 1837=William Henry Morton and then relationship with George Frederick Jefferery; Maria Russell b 1837 = Frederick Manasseh Brandon.

As posted on in the thread George Henry Russell-Catherine Virginia Levy started 9.3.2013- George Henry aka Simon Henry Russell was the son of Israel Russell/Elizabeth Alexander. The Levy/Jacobs line as per Catherine further related to the mother of Catherine who was Amelia Jacobs daughter of Henry Jacobs/Kitty Moses- these are the Jacobs aka Letson aka Litzen glass dealers/manufacturers and descended from David Jacobs aka Letson my 5x great grandfather.

In addition, as posted on Henry Russell's daughter Isabella married John aka Isaac Davies son of David Davies and Ann Crawcour and Henry through his marriage to Hannah De Lara also married into the Crawcour as did my 2 separate Hart lines.

Phillip

phillip
02-12-2018, 6:36 PM
Various newspaper advertisements show that Henry Russell was touring throughout the UK during 1851- a summary show his performances in London Jan,April,August,Yorkshire April,Brighton May,Manchester July,Cork July,Coventry September, Oxford September,Sheffield September,Scotland Oct,Sheffield Oct,Dublin Oct.

Whether or not his wife and children travelled with him is not known.

Phillip

phillip
03-12-2018, 2:57 PM
The Jewish Chronicle and other sources have referred to Moses Russell father of Henry Russell as being a Government Agent. There is currently no proof of his trade/employment. However, there is a record of a Moses Russell from Sheerness in The London Gazette 1816-
Court of Relief for Insolvent Debtors. The petition of Moses Russell late of Sheerness County of Kent, slop seller,fruiterer, general dealer now prisoner of debt in King's Bench Prison County of Surrey.
Whether or not he is one in the same as Moses Russell father of Henry and others remains to be confirmed.
JewishGen UK data bases has a London Registered Insurance policy for Isaac LEVY butcher 12 West Street Lichfield Street Soho 18.12.1838-15.12.1843 with lodger Moses Russell.
Isaac Levy was the son in law of Moses and had married his daughter Elizabeth- see Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA702 22 July 1853 for Isaac Levy 12 West Street Westminster

See also Cemetery Scribes ID 3007 and 3008 for tombstones and records for Moses and Sarah Russell. Sarah Russell nee Levin had died 1847.

Moses can be seen with Sarah in the 1841 Census and living with Isaac Levy in 1851;
1841 Census (Copyright TNA) HO107 7307 1412 176
29 Grafton Street St.Anne Soho Middx
Moses Russell 60 Independent b in county
Sarah Russell wife 55 b in county
Sarah 17 daughter not b in county

1851 Census ( Copyright TNA) HO107 1510 36 1
12 West Street St.Anne Soho Middx
Isaac Levy H M 48 Butcher b City of London
Moses Russell father in law 80 annuitant b Middx Tower Hamlets
+3 servants

Nb Elizabeth Isaac nee Russell had died in child birth and Matthias Levy was her son. Isaac in his will appears to have re- married but I have yet to confirm name/date of marriage.

Phillip

phillip
04-12-2018, 3:09 PM
This post is a follow up to the thread Maurice Davies-Amelia Hart started in 2013. In the thread I posted information on the divorce case Davies v Davies v Skoulding in 1871 which appeared in various national newspapers. What I omitted was the role that John Davies brother of Maurice and John's wife Isabella Davies nee Russell played in the petition started by Maurice.
The divorce case named Isabella and stated that Amelia Davies nee Hart .."had been confined to her kitchen with the petitioner's brother's wife, who was the daughter of Mr Henry Russell, the celebrated composer." The Liverpool Mercury Monday July 3, 1871.

The newspaper articles also referred to Amelia Davies nee Hart living in the same house as the mother of Maurice and John Davies together with six children.

The articles further referred to the two sisters of Amelia Davies nee Hart who were Kate Crawcour and Mrs Solomons. To clarify the relationships and to demonstrate the serious falling out between the Crawcour/Davies/Hart families plus Henry Russell it important to recognise that Amelia Hart was the daughter of John Hart/Elizabeth Jacobs. Their daughter Catherine aka Kate was married to Abraham Crawcour son of Isaac Crawcour c 1777-1837 =Simha Cohen De Lara 1776-1851. To further complicate the relationships Henry Russell was to have a relationship with Hannah De Lara daughterof Sarah Abigail Cohen Crawcour who was a daughter of Isaac/Simha. In addition, Ann Crawcour had married David Davies and they were the parents of Maurice and John Davies. Ann was the daughter of Isaac and Simha.
As an added bonus, Henry Chapman Hart son of John Hart/Elizabeth Jacobs had married Amelia Hart daughter of Aaron Hart = Ann Rebecca Crawcour the daughter of David Crawcour 1791-1882 who was the younger brother of Isaac Crawcour=Simha.

My relationship to the lines is via David Crawcour 1791-1882 my 4x great grandfather and his daughter Ann Rebecca Crawcour =Aaron Hart my 3x great grandparents.

Mrs Solomons sister of Amelia was Sarah Hart who had married and separated from her husband and took the stage name Miss Agnes Burdett. Both sisters accused Maurice Davies of abuse towards their sister and .."Mrs Kate Crawcour a sister of the respondent, stated that both she and her husband strongly objected to the marriage of her sister to the petitioner." Lloyds Weekly Newspaper Sunday July 9, 1871

As previously posted on Amelia Davies nee Hart was to re-marry and Maurice and John Davies were to live together until their deaths.

What part Henry Russell played in the process is not identified but the plot further thickened when Simon Russell aka George Henry Russell son of Israel Russell brother of Henry married Catherine Virginia Levy daughter of Daniel Levy=Amelia Jacobs. Amelia being the sister of Elizabeth Jacobs =John Hart.

There is of course the Adelina De Lara aka Tilbury aka Preston connection to all the above lines through her mother Anne De Lara and aunt Hannah De Lara these two being the daughters of Sarah Abigail Cohen Crawcour c 1804-1879 and David Laurent De Lara. Sarah being the daughter of Isaac=Simha.

I will also post on a relationship between Philip Russell (brother of Moses Russell father of Henry Russell ) and my Jacobs paternal line.

After twenty years of research I am still discovering and confirming the various relationships as new data emerges.

Phillip

phillip
04-12-2018, 4:34 PM
The following records relate to John Davies and Isabella Russell:
Marriage Certificate
Upper Town Church City of Boulogne sur mer Empire of France
June 13,1857
John DAVIES 30 Bachelor Surgeon Dentist 14 Grande Rue Boulogne sur mer-father David DAVIES Gentleman
Isabella RUSSELL 21 Spinster 14 Grande Rue Boulogne sur mer-father Henry RUSSELL Gentleman
Witnesses- C R Allatt MD; L C Lumley

1861 Census (Copyright TNA) RG9 222 22 3
33? Ludgate Street Ludgate Middx
John DAVIES H M 33 Surgeon Dentist b Middx City of London
Isabella wife 24 b America
Henry son 2 b Notting Hill
Maurirce Fitzclarence 1 son b St Pancras

+2 servants

1871 (Copyright TNA) RG10 44 69 43
34 Colville Road Kensington London
John Davies H M 45 Surgeon Dentist b Middx Whitechapel
Isabella wife 34 b America B.S.
Henry R son 2 scholar b Middx Pentonville
Maurice F Son 11 scholar b Middx Kensington
Annie E Dau 9 b City of London
David M Son 7 b Paddington
John L Son 3 b Kensington
Albert E son 6 mths b Kensington
Maurice C Davies brother M 47 Professor of Music b Whitechapel
Ann Davies mother widow 74 b Whitechapel
+2 servants

1881 (Copyright TNA) RG11 648 121 16
50 Orkney Street Battersea London
Isabella Davies H M 45 b America BS
Anne dau u 20 Dressmaker b London
Frederick son 12 scholar b Hammersmith
Albert son 10 b Hammersmith
+2 lodgers + 2 visitors

Death GRO Index
Isabella Davies b abt 1835 Oct qtr 1886 Lambeth 1d 322

I will post further.

Phillip

phillip
05-12-2018, 8:17 PM
The following data relates to David Davis aka Davies and Ann Crawcour aka Cravicour:
Synagogue Scribes Great Synagogue Marriage
GSM 212/54
David Davis Hebrew Moshe David ( Son of a Privileged Member) 11 Sept 1822-Ann Cravicour -father's Hebrew name Isaac

1841 Census ( Copyright TNA) HO107 712 4 7 33 16 7
East Side New Road Stepney
David Davis 45 Musician not born in county
Ann Davis 35 not born in county
Maurice Davis 15 not born in county
+1 servant

1851 Census (Copyright TNA)
13 New Road Somerset Place Stepney
David Davies H M 58 Musician b City of London
Ann wife 53
Maurice son 32 Musician
+1 servant

The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger,2004 Publisher Robert Boyd
Berger refers to the mourning condolences for the death of David Davies..13 New Road Commercial Road 30.1.1863 and the house move by Maurice Davies and Mrs Davies from 13 New Road E to 1 Shrewsbury Road Westbourne Park 10.11.1865. There are also other newspaper extracts which refer to John Davies and the birth 20.11.1864 at The Laurels Church Street Stoke Newington, surgeon dentist -a son. The house move of John Davies is also recorded- Mr John Davies Surgeon Dentist.. has removed to Colville House Colville Gardens W -4.10.1867

Phillip

phillip
05-12-2018, 8:41 PM
In his book From One End of the Earth to the Other.The London Bet Din, 1805-1855, and the Jewish Convicts transported to Australia, Jeremy I Pfeffer,2008,2010 Sussex Academic Press Pfeffer referred to The Russell/Davis/Solomon scam. This scam involved Henry Russell aka Davis aka Davies together with his father Phillip Russell and Henry Jacobs a dealer in cut glass of Crown Street Finsbury Square plus Judah and Joseph Solomon brothers and transported convicts to Tasmania.
I have previously posted some information on the scam on another thread related to Judah and Joseph Solomon. Judah Solomon had married Esther Russell the sister of Phillip. Henry Jacobs was also one of my Jacobs relatives and as posted on in this thread the Russell lines were to marry into my Crawcour/Jacobs/Hart/Levy paternal lines.
The scam began in 1821 by with Ann Crawcour and David Davis/Davies marrying in 1822. David Davis/Davies was a musician by 1841 or earlier and I have begun to speculate as to why Henry Russell adopted the alias of Davis/Davies. I have no proof that David Davis/Davies was related to the Russell lines and it maybe a coincidence that Henry Russell adopted the alias of Davis/Davies himself. The scam was to set up the two Solomon brothers in business and to get a Land Grant for Henry Russell aka Davis/Davies in Tasmania. How and why Henry Jacobs was involved is not known but it very clear that the Russell/Jacobs knew each other well in terms of the business deal.
Esther Russell was a sister of Moses Russell father of Henry the composer/singer. Esther had married an unknown Abrahams who had died leaving her a widow at the time of her marriage to Judah Solomon in 1805 Sheerness Kent.

It is interesting that the musical profession was adopted by Henry Russell, David Davis/Davies and his son Maurice as well as other Russell - more coincidences or family traits and links?

Phillip

phillip
07-12-2018, 10:21 AM
I hold copies of the full wills for Hannah Russell nee De Lara her son Landon Ronald and Henry Lloyd Russell.
In this post I will provide a summary on the wills:
Hannah Russell will dated 7 February 1921 Probate granted to Sir Landon Ronald and Samuel Lithgow the executors
Legacies to her sister Rachel LAX the wife of Henry Lax c/o The Rev.Mr and Mrs Read St Johns Vicarage Upper Parkstone Dorset £10;her son Henry £600 and should he die in her lifetime to his sons Tosti and Sheridan; to son Landon £350; to Mrs Nina Russell residing Monte Carlo £200;step grandson Charles Russell of Elmstead Spinney Chislehurst £100;step daughter Emsie Marcella COHNHOFF of Boulogne France £100;Mrs Lilly Coleman of Warmwell Down Farm Broadmayne near Dorchester Dorset £10

To son Henry minature portrait of her father with letter from Sir Augustus Harris; her own portrait in oils; portrait of her father in oils.
To fried Joseph O'Mara all pictures in her bedroom plus various bedroom furniture and minature of her late husband; to Bride O'Mara wife of Joseph all ivory objects on dressing table plus illuminated chess table unless her Lnadon or his son Vernon want it.

To niece Adelina SHIPWRIGHT of 19 The Park Hampstead the collection of framed photographs of celebrities except ones Henry or Landon might choose.
To friend Samuel LITHGOW the two bronze Marly horses

To Rachel Lax during her life an annuity of £13

Leasehold properties nos 16 and 18 Howley Place Paddington to son Henry and if he should die in her lifetime to his sons Tosti and Sheridan

Leasehold properties 6 Warwick Avenue Paddington to son Landon and if he should die in her lifetime to his son Vernon

All other personal estate and effects to be divided on sale in equal parts to sons Henry and Landon or on their death in her lifetime to their sons

I will post further will summaries plus data on the families.

Phillip

phillip
07-12-2018, 11:37 AM
This post relates to Sir Landon Ronald aka Landon Russell son of Henry Russell and Hannah De Lara. The post provides BMD and will for Landon plus his wives and son Vernon. I am still researching his wives and will post further as data emerges.
Landon Ronald aka Russell was married three times. The first marriage to Hermina Henrietta Ettlinger b 1873- died 26 July 1932. She was born in Frankfurt am Maine. Articles refer to her committing suicide but I have yet to see data to confirm this.
Their son was Vernon Emile Landon G Ronald 1899-1978. He married Leila Rosalind Roost 1897-1985 (further data is needed to confirm who her parents etc were).
Probate for Hermina aka Mimi:
Dame Mimi Ronald 34 Warwick Avenue Maida Hill Middlesex (wife of Sir Landon Ronald knight0 died 26 July 1932 Probate to John William Pepper solicitor Effects £4226 3s 8d

GRO Birth Index Record-Vernon Emile G Russell July qtr 1899 London 1a 7 and also under same index record as Ronald surname

1901 Census (Copyright TNA) RG13 2 52 19
20 Howley Place St.Mary's Paddington London
Landon Russell H M 27 Composer of Music b Notting hill London
Minnie wife 27 b Germany ( German subject)
Vernon son 1 b London Paddington
+3 servants

1911 (Copyright TNA) RG14 120 16 22 3
Lord Weymouth's Grammar School Church Street Warminster Wiltshire
Vernon Landon Ronald 11 school b London Paddington

1911 (Copyright TNA)
118 Westbourne Terrace Bayswater London W
Landon Ronald H M 37 Principal of the Guildhall School of Music b Notting Hill London
Mimi wife 38 Married 13 years 1 child 1 alive b Frankfurt a Maine (Mendent) German
Max Mossel visitor 39 single Professor of Music violinist b Rotterdam Holland Dutch (Resident0
+4 servants

Freedom of the City of London Admissions 1 Nov 1910
Landon Ronald Russell 118 Westbourne Terrace Hyde Park W Conductor and composer son of Henry Russell late of 18 Howley Place Paddington Middlesex Composer deceased

Landon signed as Landon Ronald and Landon Russell

1939 Register (Copyright TNA)
Wilcote Harrow Middlesex

Vernon Ronald b June 8 1899 Advertising Manager (Inspector Metropolitan S? Constabulary Wealdston X Station Warrant...02366E Divisional no 752) This appears to be War service call up but needs confirming
Leila Ronald b 6 Feb 1897 Unpaid domestic worker

I will post further.

Phillip

phillip
07-12-2018, 1:10 PM
In #13 I referred incorrectly to Landon Ronald aka Russell being married three times. He was married twice.
His second marriage was to Mary Callison- GRO Marriage Index Oct qtr 1932 Paddington 1a 208. She died GRO Death Index Molly Ronald March qtr 1940 age 50 Marylebone 1a 980.
Probate
Dame Molly Landon Ronald 5f Hyde Park Mansions NW1 Died 30 Jan 1940 at the Middlesex Hospital London W1. Probate to Arthur William Kendall MD and Alice Kendall (wife of Arthur William Kendall ) Effects £23778 12s 3d

Will of Sir Landon Ronald 34 Warwick Avenue London Knight Bachelor.
He appointed his 3 good friends Alfred Clark Warren House Iver Heath Bucks;John William Pepper 41 Wimpole Street London solicitor; Leonard Beecroft The Cottage Wedderburn Road Hampstead as executors and trustees.

"As I know my dear wife's generous heart and her ignorance of finance it is my wish that she should consult these Trustees on all matters of business and finance and be guided by their advice"
"Unless any public body hold other views I wish to be buried as near as possible to the grave of my beloved parents (Mr and Mrs Henry Russell) in Kensal Green Cemetery and I would like a Memorial Service to be held"

Bequest to his wife Mary Veronica (usually known as Molly) £750; son Vernon £1000 and all 'my wearing apparel"-all royalties and performing rights of musical compositions to his wife plus all furniture, linen,glass, books, manuscripts, pictures, prints, musical instruments, ornaments
Bequests to Professor's Benevolent Fund Guildhall School of Music £25-Guildhall school of music and Drama his library of orchestral scores and parts
Memontoes to a wide number of friends including Sir Thomas Beecham
To his secretary Miss Dorothy Auliff £20
All monies from his estate for the benefit of his wife

Phillip

phillip
07-12-2018, 1:30 PM
The following data refers to Vernon Ronald son of Sir Landon Ronald aka Russell:
Vernon married Leila Rosalind Tyler nee ROOST. She married Horace V Tyler GRO Marriage Index Leila R Roost Oct qtr 1921 Rochford 4a 1586.
I do not know if she divorced her husband or he died but the GRO Marriage Index shows Leila R Roost or Tyler April qtr 1930 Marylebone 1a 1483 to Vernon Ronald.

The 1965 London Electoral Registers show them at 25a Avenue Gardens Ealing.
Death Index-Vernon Russell Ronald b 8.6.1899 age 79 June qtr 1978 Ealing 12 0043
Probate- Vernon Russell Ronald 25a Avenue Gardens London W3 died 10 June 1978 - £328

Leila died age 88 b 24 Feb 1897 Died Oct qtr 1985 Brent 11 717

I will post on Leila's parents/siblings.

Phillip

phillip
07-12-2018, 1:40 PM
The following data relates to Leila Rosalind Roost the wife of Vernon Russell Landon:
Baptism Leila Rosalind Roost b 24 Feb 1897 Baptism Bristol Gloucester 10 April 1906 Parents James John Roost; Rose Roost

1911 Census ( Copyright TNA) RG 14859 316

20 St. Matthews Road Cotham Bristol

James John ROOST H 40 Turkish Bath Masseusse b West Buckland Somerset
Rose wife 41 Married 19 Years 8 children 6 alive 2 dead b Bristol Gloucester
Carl James son 16 Tailor's apprentice b Bristol
LEILA ROSALIND dau 14 Household help at home b Bristol
Phyllis Valerie dau 10 school b Bristol
Audrey Violet dau 5 school b Bristol
Geoffrey Haddon son 3 b Bristol
Kenneth George son 3 b Bristol

Phillip

phillip
10-12-2018, 9:39 AM
This post is the start of further data on Henry Russell 1871-1937 son of Henry Russell and Hannah De Lara aka Ronald.
Family trees record that Henry had 3 wives-Hannah Da Costa Andrade;Donna Shinn; Lady Patricia Hamilton -Temple Blackwood.

The information on Donna Shinn on the family trees is very limited with no data on her parents or where she was born and when.
The following data provides information on these omissions.
The Sacremento Union Vol 182 No 8 8 May 1915 (California Digital Newspaper Collection) records..." Miss Donna Dolores Shinn the daughter of Attorney and Mrs A L Shinn leaves this morning for Pasadena on the first stage of a journey to Paris,France, whehere she is booked to appar in grand opera at the Theater Comique in November...She sails for Naples June 3. For fear of submarines she will go to France by way of Italy, instead of England."

A photograph of Donna Shinn appears in the Sacremento Union Vol 116,No 56 18 Oct 1908 and in L'Italia Oct 7 1912

The Sacremento Union No 29 , 29 Nov 1911 carried the article which described .."Miss Shinn who is the daughter of Mr and Mrs A L Shinn of this City... Miss Shinn has studied in New York and San Francisco for several years.."

There are various newspaper articles on Donna Shinn and her early career -see Chronicling America Digitial Newspapers.

Her father was Albert Loring Shinn 1854-1940 and Serene (Salena) Gray. The family with Donna appear in 2 US Census records:
1900 (Copyright US National Archives) Sacremento Ward 6 Sacremento Page 12 0086 California
Albert L SHINN H 45 b Oct 1854 Lawyer born Missouri father b UNK Mother b UNK
Sarena wife b Sept 1862 37 b California father b Portugal
Bessie dau b July 1881 18 b California
?son b Jan 1885 15 b Califiornia
Carl son 13 b California
DONNA dau b Jan 1891 9 b California

1910 (Copyright US National Archives )T624 93 11A 1910
14 St Sacremento Ward 7 California

Albert L SHINN 56 H M 5 chdn 4 alive Lawyer b Missouri
Senna wife 48 b California
Carl son 23 b California
Donald ROLFF Grandson 4 b California father b Germany mother b California
Jack ROLFF Grandson 7 b California
DONNA SHINN dau 20 b California
Amanda GRAY Mother in law 85 b Missouri father b Virginia
+1 servant

I have yet to see a record of a marriage between Donna Shinn and Henry Russell.

When Henry Russell died in 1837 he left 1 page of Probate ( I hold a copy)- Henry Russell Hotel Martinez Cannes Alps Maritimes France -a British Subject domiciled in France.
" I revoke all former Wills and Testamentary dispositions heretofore made by me....I appoint my son Sheridan Russell executor....I give free of duty to my wife Lady Patricia Ethel Russell all articles and effects of personal domestic or household use ornament or consumption belonging to me... I devise and bequeath all my real and personal estate whatsoever situate not disposed of by this my Will or by any Codicil thereto 9 including any property over which I have general power of appointment at the time of my death after payment of my debts and funeral and testaamentary expenses to my saide son Sheridan Russell..Signed and dated 24 August 1937
Witnesses Harry C Burnett 11 Henrietta St Cavendish Square W1 Solicitor;Michael Welch same address Solicitor

I will post on the other wives.

I have no data on when and where Donna Shinn died or whether she re-married.

Phillip

phillip
11-12-2018, 8:34 AM
This is a follow up post on Donna Doleres Shinn 1890-1975 second wife of Henry Russell. US Passport Applications show that Donna was born Susanville Lassen Cy California b 11 Jan 1890 father A L Shinn b Missouri.Permanent residence San Francisco left US 22 May 1915 and now living in Monte Carlo Monaco- Desires passport to visit England for singing Dated 22 Nov 1917. Later passports show April 1919 Resided in France May 1915-1919. UK Passenger Lists Donna Shinn 30 b abt 1890 Port Departure NY Port of Arrival Southampton 6 May 1920

The US Census Records show:
1930 (Copyright US National Archives) Ward Assembly Dist 32 2 SanFarncisco California 1A 0353
Serene SHINN H 48? widow Nurse Practical b California father born Portugal mother b California
DONNA SHINN 34 Divorced writer b California father b Missouri mother b California

1940 (Copyright US National Archives) San Francisco California m-t0627 00319 Page 61 B 38-518

Fillmore Street House 2425 San Fancisco
Serene Shinn H Widow 79 b California
DONNA D RUSSELL 50 Widow Vocal Teacher b California

California Death Index
Donna D RUSSELL B 11 Jan 1890 Death 23 April 1975 San Francisco

San Francisco Area Funeral Home Records
April 23 1975
DONNA DOLERES RUSSELL
240 Jones St- Nephew Mr John DALTON Ret Clerk Pearl Ins Co

Dob 1/11/1890 Age 85
born California father Albert Shinn b Mississipi Mother Serene Gray born CA

Place of Death French Hospital SF
Resided in State 45 years
Cause of Death Aspiration pneumonia Large Bowel obstruction

Funeral Cematory Cypress Lawn Date of Funeral April 23 1975 Service None

I will post further.

Phillip

phillip
12-12-2018, 9:14 AM
This post provides further data on Mary aka Mollie Callison. The 1911 Census shows her with her parents and some siblings.
1911 Census ( Copyright TNA) RG14 23740
921 Ashton Old Road Manchester
Richard Dobson Callison H M 55 Laundry Machine Dealer Employer b Bolton Lancashire
Martha wife 55 Married 30 years 9 children 6 living 3 dead b Dukenfield Cheshire
MARY dau single 22 Shop Assistant in the business b Openshaw Lancashire
Dorothy dau 16 single school b Openshaw Lancashire
Marjorie dau 14 b Didsbury Lanashire

Probate
Richard Dobson Callison 93 Fog Lane Didsbury Manchester died 18 March 1943 Probate to Arthur William Kendall Medical Practitioner Effects 1066 5s

Manchester Evening News Tues 30 Jan 1940

Death of Lady Ronald ...Lady Ronald was Sir Landon's second wife and married him in December 1932. She was Miss Mary Callison daughter of Mr R D Callison of Fog Lane, Didsbury Manchester and a great friend of Sir Landon's first wife the former Frauelein Mimi Ettlinger.

Phillip

phillip
13-12-2018, 9:55 AM
This post provides data on Hannah Da Costa Andrade wife of Henry Ronald Russell 1871-1937. Hannah aka Nina was the daughter of Samuel Costa Andrade 1838-1909 and Miriam Nunes Carvalho 1842-1907. Hannah was born 1868- GRO Birth Index Hannah Da Costa Andrade July qtr 1868 Brighton 2b 175 and died Dec qtr 1939 Thanet 2a 2914 age 71.

Her father Samuel was a feather (ostrich) merchant. There is reference in the Jewish Chronicle to Samuel Andrade in South Africa in 1854 trading in feathers but I do not know if he was one in the same. The GRO Birth Index records Samuel Andrade June qtr 1838 City of London 2 171. I will provide further data as the research continues.

The 1871 Census (Copyright TNA) RG10 1074 49 5
15 Devonshire Place Brighton Kemptown
Samuel da Costa Andrade H M 32 Merchant b Essex?
Miriam wife 28
Solomon son 4 b Kent Ramsgate
Hannah dau 2 b Sussex Brighton
+1 servant

1881 (Copyright TNA) RG11 1088 95 35
2 Buckingham Road Brighton Sussex
Samuel da C Andrade H M 42 Ostrich feather merchant b Middx London
Marion wife 38 b Middx London
Solomon son 14 b Kent Ramsgate
Hannah dau 12 b Sussex Brighton
Sarah dau 9 b Sussex Brighton
Josephine dau 7 b Sussex Brighton
+1 boarder +3 servants

Probate
Samuel da Costa Andrade 40 Landsmore Strret Hove Sussex died 1 Sept 1909.Probate to Solomon Hyam Andrade stock broker's clerk and John Joshua Hands solicitor £383 6s 10d

GRO Death Index Samuel da Costa Andrade b abt 1837 age 72 July qtr 1909 Steyning 2b 151

This maybe his wife- GRO Death Index Miriam Andrade Sept qtr 1907 age 63 Holborn 1b 314

The Jewish Chronicle -On the 1st Sept at Brighton, Samuel da Costa Andrade aged 72. Funeral leaves Victoria Station (L.B.S.C.R.) 10.55 today (Friday) for Golders Green -JC Sept 3 1909.

More data to follow.

Phillip

phillip
13-12-2018, 10:16 AM
The GRO Marriage Index June qtr 1895 Hannah da Costa Andrade -Henry Russell Paddington 1a 142.
The family appear in the 1901 Census (Copyright TNA) RG13 1166 24 5
Ashleight Virginia Water Egham Berkshire
Henry Russell H M 29 Vocal Professor Music b London
Nina wife 30 b Sussex Brighton
Henry T Russell son 4 b London
+4 servants

The family left for New York in 1910- New York Passenger List Ship Rotterdam-Port of Departure Boulogne sur mer Port of Arrival NY 10 0ct 1910
Mr Henry Russell M 39 Opera Director - mother Mrs Russell London England
Mrs Nina Russell 38
Master Sheridan Russell 10
Master Henry Russell 14

Death Nina Russell age 71 b abt 1868 Dec qtr 1939 Thanet 2a 2914

Probate
Nina Russell 179 Gloucester Place Marylebone London single woman died 30 Nov 1939 at St.Michael's Stone Road Broadstairs Kent. Probate to Sheridan Russell secretary £792 8s

The London Electoral Rolls show Nina with her son Sheridan William Robin Russell living at various addresses-1928 14 Handel Mansions St Pancras Camden; 1932 55 Upper Gloucester Place NW1;1938 179 Gloucester Place Marylebone

1939 Register (Copyright TNA)RG101 16 85G
Broadstairs and St Peters UD Kent
Nina Russell b 10 June 1868 Divorced Guitar and French teacher inapacitated

1939 (Copyright TNA)RG101 470D
179 Gloucester Place St Marylebone London
Sheridan Russell b 23 March 1900 single Charity Society Secretary (Army Officers Emergency Reserve)

The family do not appear in the 1911 census because they were living in Paris France- NY Passenger Lists
Nina Russell ? relative Henry Russell Boston Opera
Sheridan Russell 11 Last Permanent residence Paris France Port of Departure Havre Port of Arrival NY 21 Oct 1911 Ship La Provence

More to follow.

Phillip

phillip
13-12-2018, 3:45 PM
This post provides some further data on Sheridan William Robin Russell son of Henry Russell and Hannah aka Nina da Costa Andrade. See online document Russell (nee Stewart ) Katherine Frances (Kit) 1909-1998-Phyllis Willmott version 4 Oct 2007 which contains information on Katherine aka Kit daughter of Sir Francis Hugh Stewart 1869-1921 and Lady Frances Henrietta Rickards 1883-1962.

Sheridan Russell was a celloist,secretary, social worker- see Sheridan's Story: Sheridan Russell 1900-1991 (privately published )1993 K Russell and W Barnes.
GRO Marriage Index
Sheridan W R Russell-Katherine F Stewart June qtr1957 London 5d 195
Birth Katherine Frances Stewart April qtr 1909 Kensington 1a 156
Death Katherine Frances Russell age 89 b 6 April 1909 July qtr 1998 Greater London E43C 2581E

Probate Dame Frances Henrietta Stewart of Hammer Hill Abinger Hammer Surrey widow died 26 Sept 1962 at Italian Hospital Queen Square Holborn London WC1 Probate-Anthony Baruh Lousada solicitor, Francis Robert Cameron Stewart farmer,Francis Lawrence Theodore Graham -Harrison civil servant,SHERIDAN ROBIN RUSSELL social worker Effects £24705 2s

Probate Sheridan William Robin Russell 100 Cheyne Walk London SW10 died 9 April 1991 Probate not exceeeding £115000

I will post further on related lines.

Phillip

phillip
14-12-2018, 11:28 AM
This post provides data on Henry Tosti Russell 1896-1967 son of Henry Ronald Russell and Hannah aka Nina Da Costa Andrade. There are various online references to Henry Tosti Russell particularly his work as a journalist and writer. He became a Naturalised American Citizen Supreme Court New York Dec 9,1921 ( source his death record). He was married twice. His first wife was Marguerite Anna Louise Berthe GRATADOUR born Paris France Oct 26, 1893. They were married Paris Dec 27,1920. Currently, I cannot trace her parents or date of death or any possible re-marriage/divorce.

Records for the Births of Children born to American Parents show 3 records for the children of Henry and Marguerite:
Dorothy Nina Sheridan Russell b March 23,1924 at 6 am 22 bis,Rue des Bellesfeuilles Paris,XV1 France- her father is recorded as Henry Tosti Russell journalist age 28 living at 5 Boulevard Leon Louesse Rueil, Set O France and mother Marguerite Anna Louise Berthe Russell age 30 nee Marguerite A V L B Gratadour

Christopher Theodore Russell b Jan 11,1930 4 Addington Mansions London N -father Henry Tosti Russell journalist 4 Addington Mansions London N mother Marguerite Anna Berthe Russell nee Gratadour age 38 same address Naturalised by Marriage

Henry Robin Tosti Russell b July 5 1927 4 Addington Mansions Highbury Grange London N5

The Report on the Death of An American Citizen abroad records:
Henry Tosti Russell 1896-1968 Naturalised NY Dec 9 1921 Death 9 am Oct 10 1968 age 72- Cancer of right lung
Place of death Quinta da Saudade Livramento Sao Jao do Estonil Portugal

Address of wife-
Wife Magdalen Petronella Russell same as above

The report noted.." Mrs Russell is unable to locate Naturalisation Certificate Passport No Z560616 issued at American Embassy Lisbon Portugal on Dec 7, 1966 canceled and returned to wife"

I have no record as to the death or other data on Magdalene however, there is a GRO Marriage Index Record for Magdalene M P WILMOT to HENRY T RUSSELL March qtr 1937 Kensington 1a 349. This may or may not be Henry Tosti Russell and Magdalene Petronella but appears possible.
I do not know if any children were born from the marriage

Henry Robin Russell a son of the first marriage Died GRO Death Index Dec qtr 1983 Hendon 13495- there is at least 1 family tree which records him being a psychologist and his death an accident but an inquest followed.

Charles Theodore appears in New York records. I have already posted on Dorothy Nina Sheridan Russell who died New York 8 Oct 1989- actress, writer, ballet, jazz dancer, psychologist.

Phillip