PDA

View Full Version : How did he get to Canada [other than by ship ;-) ]

peter nicholl
22-03-2005, 5:44 PM
My Great Uncle Ernest Algernon Nicholl served with the CEF from 1915. He was living with his wife and children in Vancouver. In 1902ish he emigrated from England and would have been 16 or 17ish. He was living in London with his older Sister at the time of the 1901 Census (mis-indexed as NichollS), aged 15. Would he have been too young to go to Canada under his own steam, or too old to go the Barnado's type route? Any tips on passenger lists, or any tips at all?|help|
Thanks

Peter

Ladkyis
22-03-2005, 10:39 PM
One way to find out if he did go by way of one of the 500 organisations who sent children - and anyone under the age of consent was considered a child - is to take a look at some of the websites that you can find if you google on "Home Children"

this one
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020110_e.html

has passenger lists and loads of useful stuff about how it started and why and when it stopped.
I once did a big project on this for a social care course I did in college and I really wish I had been able to use the internet - it hadn't been invented then |blush|

Ann

peter nicholl
26-03-2005, 4:32 PM
Thanks Ann
No luck yet with the Home Children, but I'll keep looking. I thought that I might try Naturalisation, as he fought in the CEF. Did Home Children become Naturalised Canadians with a paper trail? The on-line Canadian stuff doesn't seem to start until after the end of WWI and I'm supposing that he would have needed to have been a Canadian in order to join up.
Peter