PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Dragoon Guards - 2nd Boer War

DeeBumbleBee
23-08-2009, 6:53 PM
Private 4273 Cecil Archibald Valentine Smith is shown in the 1901 census as being billetted at West Cavalry Barracks, Aldershot, Hampshire. From the limited research I have done the Queens Bays left from Southampton for South Africa during mid November of that year.

Would anyobe be able to help me in finding where abouts he may have served during his spell in South Africa and which (if any) medals he may have received? |banghead|

stickymone
23-08-2009, 9:06 PM
Private 4273 Cecil Archibald Valentine Smith is shown in the 1901 census as being billetted at West Cavalry Barracks, Aldershot, Hampshire. From the limited research I have done the Queens Bays left from Southampton for South Africa during mid November of that year.

Would anyobe be able to help me in finding where abouts he may have served during his spell in South Africa and which (if any) medals he may have received? |banghead|

Hi,

I think you'll find him here http://www.angloboerwar.com/units%20imperial/2nd_drag_gds_qsa.htm

Stickymone:)

ladysmith
24-08-2009, 8:54 AM
The Queen's South Africa Medal roll shows his medal entitlement as QSA with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal & South Africa 1902.

The regiment was a late arrival in the war as you indicate. They were in north of the OFS in February 1902 when they took part in General Elliot's drive against the Boers.

In March they moved to Springs in the Transvaal and had hard fighting on 1st April. Three squadrons were sent by Colonel Lawley on detour prior to co-operating with his advance. They surrounded a farm and took some prisoners but when they tried to surround a Boer camp they ran into a heavy fire and were forced to make a gradual fighting withdrawal. When they reached Leeuwkop they found it held by the Boers so they had to head for another ridge by which time the 7th Hussars came arrived to support them and the Boers withdrew. Losses were 2 officers and 10 men killed and 5 officers and 59 men wounded. Your man isn't listed as a casualty.

David

GeneHunt59
30-01-2010, 7:28 PM
Hi,

Could somebody kindly advise me which clasps to the QSA the following soldiers would have been awarded:

5454 Private Wellbelove E. 2nd Dragoon Guards
3461 Corporal Wellbelove E.W. 10th Hussars

Also, if anybody could provide a potted history of the 10th Hussars involvement, simlar to the 2nd Dragoons summary earlier in this thread, I would be most grateful.

Alan

ladysmith
04-02-2010, 9:57 PM
Hi Alan - 5454 Pte. E. Wellbelove 2nd Dragoon Guards was entitled to the QSA with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal & South Africa 1902.

3461 Cpl. E.W. Wellbelove 10th Hussars was entitled to clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 & South Africa 1902.

E.W. was a later arrival in SA as the 10th Hussars were involved in a number of major actions in the early part of the war, some of which (such as Relief of Kimberley and Diamond Hill) were commemorated with specific clasps. Because of clasp qualification criteria and as he had the date clasps on a QSA rather than also having a KSA, theoretically he could have arrived in SA at any time between August 1900 and December 1901. However, on balance he is more likely to have landed later in that time frame rather than earlier.

Between January and July 1901 they were brigaded with the 12th Lancers in the eastern Transvaal and took part in French's drive. They were also in the north east of the OFS where they were chasing the commandos of Kritzinger and Scheepers into 1902. On 11/10/1901 a patrol of the 10th Hussars captured Commandant Gideon Scheepers who was tried and found guilty of war crimes (he had killed two black post office linesmen) and executed 17/1/1902.

David

GeneHunt59
05-02-2010, 8:27 PM
Many thanks for the information

Alan