PDA

View Full Version : Did they cross the Tyne?

smallthings
21-03-2005, 8:44 PM
I've been looking for my SMALL family in South Shields but they keep disappearing! My gggg grandparents were Charles SMALL and Dorothy BELL. They had two sons baptised at St Hilda's South Shields, Robert b. 1808 and Francis b. 1810. The male line then proceeded to carry the name BELL as a middle name until at least the 1900s.

Naturally they kept recycling names, chiefly Robert, Francis and then Nicholas. Robert b 1808 I can't find at all and Francis m. Margaret at Tynemouth but where were they on the censuses???

Are there any SMALLS showing on any North Shields/Tynemouth registers or censuses? If you can find any of them I'd be very grateful!!

Jan

Jo Simpsons
21-03-2005, 9:45 PM
There are 86 Smalls in the 1871 census I can see. There is also a Thomas B Small aged 36 in gateshead a cabinet maker, born Newcatle, his wife Margaret Jane, 34, born Northumberland North Shileds and children, Thomas Bell, 15, cabinet maker, Mary Isabella, 9, also a niece Mary Henzell Hemsley, 22 , and a few boarders.

RG10/5055 Folio 71 Page 6

Jo :)

smallthings
21-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Jo

I do hope I replied and said thank you last year! If not please forgive me for the oversight.

I have since discovered (largely through revisiting previous contacts) that Charles (a shipwright) and Dorothy moved to Chatham and had several more children. I know that at least Francis, Peter, Mary and Caroline moved back to South shields. I have also discovered that the Thomas Bell SMALL originates from John SMALL married Ann BELL in Alnwick. Can't find any connections so far - but you never know!

I've started collecting info about anyone with the name SMALL particularly in the Tyneside area hoping eventually to sort them out - maybe when I retire!

Someone looked up the marriage of Francis and Margaret HEDLEY in Tynemouth but siad the image was too poor to read - 1831 is I guess too early anyway to hope for father's names!

I had an ancestry subs as part of a Christmas pressie so spent far too much time searching the censuses and have succeeded in locating most of the family including Francis and Margaret in one census transcribed as SMARR!

Best wishes

Jan