PDA

View Full Version : Union Work House, Mill Road, Cambridge

Colin Parkinson
18-08-2009, 10:02 AM
I have a death certificate, of a possible relation, Peter Parkinson, died 22 November 1855, aged 33, Chimney Sweep Labourer, Paralysis 12 months, informant Lucy Haysom Union House, Mill Road, Cambridge.
I assume this is the Work House?
Can anyone tell me where I can find further information, admissions records for this Work House? Would this Paralysis be due a fall? What we would call an industrial injury today.

I am anxiuos to determine if this Peter is the brother of my 2xgreatGrandfather.
As ever, any assistance appreciated.
Colin Parkinson

alan021280
18-08-2009, 10:10 AM
hi there colin can i ask your gt gt grand fathers name please

alan:)

Peter Goodey
18-08-2009, 10:33 AM
The records of Cambridge Union will be at Cambridge Record Office.

I've looked through my reference stuff and unfortunately not much seems to have survived for 1855 and thereabouts. It would be best to contact them or perhaps there is an online catalogue.
I also checked the Hospital Records Database but there are no 19th century patient records.

Lucy Haysom's occupation was 'Nurse'.

'Paralysis' could be caused by accident or disease.

But a possibility that you should be aware of is that in those days Tertiary Syphilis was known as 'General Paralysis of the Insane' or just 'General Paralysis' or sometimes simply 'Paralysis'.

Colin Parkinson
18-08-2009, 5:50 PM
Alan,
My 2xgreatGrandfather was William Parkinson born 1812 Stapleford died 1873 Darlington. He was in the 43rd Regt of Light Inf. His father, and Peters if right one was Allen Parkinson (sometimes recordered as Parkerson) born 1791 Hauxton, died 1865 Hauxton.

Peter, thanks for all the information, a great help.

Colin