PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry and GEDCOM

perisama
16-08-2009, 6:59 PM
I use Ancestry dot co dot uk and a genealogist has asked me to send it to him on GEDCOM. How do I do that? Or Have I put my entire life's work on the wrong type of tree????????|5cups||5cups||5cups||banghead||help|| computer|

Jan1954
16-08-2009, 7:02 PM
Hi there,

Have a read of this thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48616&highlight=gedcom). :)

sandiep
16-08-2009, 7:22 PM
As far as I am aware if you go to manage tree it has a place for you to export tree.....I send mine every so often to my email address and then put into my Roots magic tree........

sandie

perisama
17-08-2009, 8:10 AM
OK. I understand you can upload a tree from another program, to Ancestry but how do you do it the other way around... I have startedthe painstaking task of putting my ENTIRE tree on PAF. It will take years!!!!|help|

Peter Goodey
17-08-2009, 8:53 AM
OK. I understand you can upload a tree from another program, to Ancestry but how do you do it the other way around..

Use the Ancestry Help system and enter "gedcom" in the keyword search.

I have startedthe painstaking task of putting my ENTIRE tree on PAF. It will take years!

It won't take years if you download the gedcom. But this should still be a warning for everybody that online "trees" on Ancestry or FMP or elsewhere should be treated as a means of communication and should not be the only or main place where you keep your valuable data.

Your master data should be on your own PC, suitably backed up.

perisama
17-08-2009, 12:25 PM
|blush|

perisama
17-08-2009, 12:39 PM
YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!!! I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
|woohoo|

v.wells
17-08-2009, 2:11 PM
Good for you Perisama - it's not hard to do at all. :D I also make a copy and give it a dfferent name.

perisama
17-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Make a copy!!!! How? Do it all again and call it Fred? I have just been through techno heaven and back and now I need to make a copy?/? Where do I put it? How? Shall I stick it on a disc? I have been playing with PCs for a while but I am still a bit Duh when it comes to all this sort of thing.|dunce2|

MarkJ
17-08-2009, 11:34 PM
You would call the backup something.ged (the .ged bit means it is a gedcom and allows you to open it with family tree software).
I include the date too - so I know when I made it - e.g Smith01022009.ged

Put it wherever is suitable - a cd perhaps or external drive/USB key.

Mark