PDA

View Full Version : Murphy 1871 Census from "Beur Arven"?

mervyn.britton
20-03-2005, 4:02 AM
I have found what I think is my GGGrandmother in the 1871 shown as Ellen Murphy from Ireland and it looks to be from Beur Arven or possibly Haven.
Knowledge of Ireland is nill and a Google search and delving into Genuki hasn't found anything either. Can anyone suggest where this might refer to?

Always living in hope <grin>

Mervyn
Researching: BAUCKHAM BRITTON BORRAS COXHEAD HAZELDINE MURPHY TOWNSEND DIPROSE LARLHAM ALLCOCK

Frank W
20-03-2005, 1:39 PM
Hi Mervyn

Post the actual Census ref, and maybe a few more
interpretations of the entry will pop up!

Was Ellen present in the 1881 Census online at LDS Family Search?

Regards.........Frank W

mervyn.britton
21-03-2005, 1:34 AM
Hi Mervyn

Regards.........Frank WFrank thanks for reply. I found the reference on Ancestry in my first 'one month' foray. The address is given as 13 Windmill Lane, Deptford. Greenwich and shows
Ellen Murphy (widow) (51) Laundress born Ireland "Beur Arven" (?)
Jeremiah Murphy (19) Lab Dock born Deptford Kent
{and to confuse matters around the corner at Windmill Row there is another Jeremiah Murphy 69 (bricklayers lab) and wife Ellen 69 both born Co. CORK Ireland} I have a .jpg image of the irish town entry, but for the life of me can't work out how to post it here. Mervyn

mervyn.britton
21-03-2005, 1:40 AM
Frank thanks for reply. I found the reference on Ancestry in my first 'one month' foray. The address is given as 13 Windmill Lane, Deptford. Greenwich and shows
Ellen Murphy (widow) (51) Laundress born Ireland "Beur Arven" (?)
Jeremiah Murphy (19) Lab Dock born Deptford Kent
{and to confuse matters around the corner at Windmill Row there is another Jeremiah Murphy 69 (bricklayers lab) and wife Ellen 69 both born Co. CORK Ireland} I have a .jpg image of the irish town entry, but for the life of me can't work out how to post it here. Mervyn

This could be her........................ 1881 Household:
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Matthew SULLIVAN Head W Male 46 Ireland Dock Laborer
Julia SULLIVAN Daur U Female 10 Deptford, Kent, England Scholar
Thos. SULLIVAN Son U Male 7 Deptford, Kent, England Scholar
Ellen MURPHY Lodger W Female 60 Ireland
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 12 Windmill Lane Census Place Deptford St Paul, Kent, England
Family History Library Film 1341165 Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 0707 / 23 Page Number 4

mervyn.britton
21-03-2005, 2:47 AM
Hi Mervyn

Regards.........Frank W
Further thought made me wonder if the accent might be the confusing aspect here. Sitting her and mimmicking my best Irish accent, I concluded that there might be a Berehaven in Ireland (A street name close to where I work)
BINGO.........Co.Cork, Berehaven. And other family names are also evident inthe locale. (Mahony etc) Do yuou think I might be on the correct path??

Cheers Mervyn

Lindad
21-03-2005, 9:17 AM
Mervyn

I think that it's quite likely that you're on the right track. I know nothing about Ireland either, but I do know that when the censuses were taken a lot of names and places were spelt phonetically. And when I say phonetically, I mean you need to take into account accents as well!!