PDA

View Full Version : Old Schools

perisama
13-08-2009, 7:23 AM
I am trying to find which school my 3 x Gt Grandfather may have gone to at around 1800. He was born in Balquhidder and I think may have been in Edinburgh for a while before going to live in London in 1832. Any ideas how to start???|book2|

Geoffers
13-08-2009, 8:20 AM
I have been trying to think of possible lines of approach - did he definitely go to school? (Not everyone did, and those who attended school might be sent to one away from home).

Did he later go to university? (There may then be a record of the school he attended).

Did he do anything notable so that his life might be recorded somewhere?

Unless you can find some lever, this bit of your research may be difficult.

amg2512
13-08-2009, 1:33 PM
I know this really doesn't help much, but on A......., the Perthshire school registers of admission and withdrawals for 1869 - 1901 is being keyed. I appreciate the dates are about 60 years out!!! but perhaps earlier info, if recorded, may come up.

Best of luck, Alison

perisama
14-08-2009, 7:17 AM
Thanks, I know it's not much but his name was Archibald Maclaurin (and variants!!!). The earliest record I have for him apart from his birth is his marriage in Islington in 1823. I also have records of his 45 years as Clerk with the Admiralty at Somerset House. A friend managed to find a book online (Google) detailing the exams they sat at that time in order to become a clerk .
I think I may also have found him in Edinburgh in 1822 where he was subscribing to "Dictionary of the Gaelic Language" for 7 guineas per annum!|book|
That's about it. :D

perisama
14-08-2009, 7:35 AM
And I found that St. Andrews Uni have published on line old lads from 1700 ish who matriculated there and while I found an Archibald Maclaren I don't think it is him, Matriculation in Scotland was when you entered the Uni not when you finished and the date was wrong... 1822 . He retired from work after 45 years which means he started in 1810.

valr
20-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi
He will have been schooled in Balquhidder, then most likely will have gone on to either Edinburgh or Glasgow University I think... based on what I know about Balquhidder area (nearly half of my ancestors came from around there originally)
Maybe the websites of these Unis will advise as to how to search for graduations?
Val