PDA

View Full Version : LEE : Alton area

andrewwebb
19-03-2005, 10:35 AM
I am researching the LEE family who were living in the Alton area in the 1860's.
On the 1891 census James LEE who was a stoker in the Royal Navy gave his age as 23 and his place of birth as 'Upper Froyle' which is near Alton in Hampshire.
On the 1901 census he had left the navy and was living in Portsmouth.

I have the marriage certificate of James LEE who married Annie FERRIS in Aug 1891 at Portsmouth. James gave his age as 24. His father's name was also James LEE and his occupation was 'Farmer'.

I have had no luck in locating his birth certificate and believe that his father was from Ireland.

Are there any researchers looking in the Alton area for this name or have comne across the family ?

Jane Hurst
20-03-2005, 2:58 AM
I live in Alton and do quite a bit of research in the area. There are no local Lees that fit the bill, no relevant baptisms in Froyle, Binsted or Holybourne. I suspect that James’ family came to Upper Froyle, like many other families, for the hop picking. Have you considered, that with the name of Lee, that they could have been a travelling family? Large numbers of travellers would come to this area as well as train loads of Londoners in order to have a break and earn some money. James may have been exagerating a bit when he said his father was a farmer!
Have you tried the Travellers’ Family Hist.Soc? Yours Jane (Hurst)

FredP
23-03-2005, 9:13 PM
I have looked in three Hampshire directories and have not found any farmers of the name of LEE in this area, nor in any other trade in the Alton/Bentley/Froyle area.
However, in 1859, there was a Mrs Harriett Lee living in Upper Froyle. As she was not in trade she must have been a householder of some standing to be included in a directory of this date.
I hope this is of some help, FredP.

andrewwebb
24-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Jane and Fred,

Thank you both very much for your advice.

Do either of you know where the nearest Catholic church would be to Froyle ?

As I mentioned in my first posting, the father James LEE was from Ireland and I believe that he was Roman Catholic. Could any children have been baptised further away at the nearest RC church ?

Jane Hurst
25-03-2005, 1:26 AM
You asked about a Catholic Church. Alton, the nearest town, did not get one for quite a while:-
1901 8 June, Sale of Normandy House:-
Normandy House had changed hands several times since the death of Mrs Crowley in 1892. In October 1899, the present owners, a body of Roman Catholic nursing sisters, came into possession of the property, subsequently opening the Chapel known as St Saviour’s to the Roman Catholics of the district, the Rev Father Henry B Bulbeck, OSB, being the priest in charge. The Diocese of Portsmouth, however, being unfavourable to their purposes, they are disposing of the property, and will shortly proceed to a western diocese. The Bishop of Portsmouth, we understand, will open a chapel in Alton upon their departure. (Hampshire Chronicle)
Farnham, Surrey, might have had one or they may have waited until they got home as they would only have been in the area for a few weeks if hop picking etc. Jane

FredP
31-03-2005, 12:48 PM
The HARRIET LEE I mentioned earlier would appear to have been the widow of ROBERT NEWTON LEE who died 11.02.1837 in his 73rd year according to the tomb in FROYLE churchyard. They lived at COLDREY the adjoining parish. She died 07.02.1863 in her 88th year.
The next tomb (no 129) was of their 3rd son,with addresses Craven Hill & Bedford Row, London, who died 01.07.1871 in his 71st year, and of his wife, PHYLLIS, who died 18.07.1895 in her 97th year.
Doesn't sound much like your LEEs, butthere may be some connection.
FredP.

Ron Belchamber
28-02-2011, 9:53 AM
I have just started researching a family name - Dowden. I have found reference to a bank owned by Dowden and Lee in Alton, which was in business in 1792. In St Lawrence's Church, Alton there are at least two wall mounted plaques referring to memebers of the Lee family, from that period.

I am researching the LEE family who were living in the Alton area in the 1860's.
On the 1891 census James LEE who was a stoker in the Royal Navy gave his age as 23 and his place of birth as 'Upper Froyle' which is near Alton in Hampshire.
On the 1901 census he had left the navy and was living in Portsmouth.

I have the marriage certificate of James LEE who married Annie FERRIS in Aug 1891 at Portsmouth. James gave his age as 24. His father's name was also James LEE and his occupation was 'Farmer'.

I have had no luck in locating his birth certificate and believe that his father was from Ireland.

Are there any researchers looking in the Alton area for this name or have comne across the family ?