PDA

View Full Version : Never give up hope...........................

siamesewillow
09-08-2009, 9:44 PM
My Great Grandfather X 2 was born in 1804 and his brother 1812. Found it difficult to find no other children in between. |banghead| In fact had given up on finding any. One day looking at wills in Birmingham library came across a Benjamin Poad named in probate in my Great Grandfather's will. Who was he? soliciter/friend etc. Went home checked the census, no he as a copper. Than found his name as witness on my Great Grandfather's marriage certificate. Shortly afterwards while googling Benjamin Poad in, came across a Australian lady who was looking for information on the Poad family. Naturally I contacted her she gave me Benjamin's wife's name, she turned out to be a sister to my Great Grandfather. Again with the help of another contact found another brother and sister.

I could easily of not noticed Benjamin Poad in this will, had certainly had not on the marriage certificate and since found his wife's name on my Great Grand mother's death certificate.

Between this Australian contact and myself we have found 5 generations more of mine and her family.

So never give up hope, something will turn up unexpectantly one day.

Good luck

siamese |jumphappy

spison
09-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Well done Siamese,

Sometimes those chance and unexpected finds are the key to the 'treasure'. I'd be stumped totally on two of mine but little by little the chance finds are pointing in a workable direction. I'll post about them when I can identify them accurately.

Jane

MythicalMarian
09-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Fantastic, Siamese. Sometimes it's those little things that you see and don't quite know where they fit, that turn out to be golden keys.

I'm thrilled for you. |jumphappy

siamesewillow
14-08-2009, 1:50 AM
I do not know if things run in threes, but to day I had another success, although unexpected, story.

While coming home after a very enjoyable day out on a day trip to the Forest of Dean and around Chepsow the coach driver said we would return on another route.

We had only gone a few yards down the road when we passed my Grandfather's farm and the sign to the nearest village where he was born. It was a total surprise to me. I never thought I would ever see the farm as I cannot drive and the place is situated in a very isolated spot. The farm looked bleak and unlived in. I just wish I had taken a photo.

So never give up hope.

siamese

v.wells
14-08-2009, 1:59 AM
siamese that is a happy/sad story. |hug| I am glad you got to see your grandfather's farm and sorry that it hasn't been kept up. Maybe you'll have another trip that will go by or at least stop long enough for you to take a photo.

Nicolina
14-08-2009, 12:59 PM
that's great news Siamesewillow. These "little surprises" are what makes our obsession all the more interesting. It's almost as though we are being told to persevere and not to give up on finding them.
better get back to sorting out all my new family, and deciding which certificates to buy next.