PDA

View Full Version : another burial look up please

dawn/karen
08-08-2009, 8:31 AM
can someone have a look for any records for and ernest james harding who died on the isle of man in 1925, please.

he was born 1851 in gloucestershire but we have lost him after he died, we have no idea at all where he is buried so this would be of great help for the whole family not just me doing the tree.

Astoria
08-08-2009, 8:44 AM
Hi Dawn/Karen,

Do you have his death certificate?

dawn/karen
08-08-2009, 8:51 AM
personally i dont but one of my manx cousins has, why? it has no info at all as to his placement after death, we have checked

dawn/karen
08-08-2009, 8:54 AM
the only address is the place of death i.e. his house, we all know that tho so its not helping to find his grave at all, he lived in douglas tho if that helps anyone who may be able to look for me

dawn/karen
08-08-2009, 9:00 AM
yes my cousins have done that and even a wider field on the island, i have a funny feeling he may have been returned back to glouscetoshire tho, but nothing concrete to suggest that , just one of those female feelings we have. his family came from bitton, hence why i am asking for a lok up for whole of the uk if possible

dawn/karen
08-08-2009, 9:12 AM
ok the informant was his wife, elizabeth, she was buried in the braddon cemetary in 1960, we know that for fact as my cousins where there, it was not a family plot, yes shipping him back was possibly expensive to do but he was more than capable of this, my cousins have gone thr his will and there is nothing on that to indicate anything either.

just to confuse matters, my grand dad and his second wife also died on the island but they did that in 1980 and 2006 and are in the glencuthery road cemetary, i have checked with them at the office for there and they have no records of great grand dad

Astoria
08-08-2009, 9:17 AM
Have you seen this site (http://www.lawsons.ca/burials/bur_indx.html)

dawn/karen
08-08-2009, 9:42 AM
yes i have seen tht but ive just had another look again and there is one james harding that the birth age is correct but the death date is wrong tho, in the family there are many ernest james harding's so they tended to call my great grand dad by his middle name of jabez, which is also james in english

Wirral
08-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Unlike the site that Astoria has found for the IOM, few burial registers in the UK are indexed, never mind available online. Approximately half a million people die each year in England & Wales. As an example of what you are asking for, to look up a burial in Liverpool would mean going to Liverpool library & looking through reel after reel of microfilm, looking through thousands of names.

In your initial request you gave neither the place where your ancestor might be buried, nor the exact date of his death. You still haven't given the date of death.
Sorry, but I think this is a unreasonable request.

dawn/karen
08-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Unlike the site that Astoria has found for the IOM, few burial registers in the UK are indexed, never mind available online. Approximately half a million people die each year in England & Wales. As an example of what you are asking for, to look up a burial in Liverpool would mean going to Liverpool library & looking through reel after reel of microfilm, looking through thousands of names.

In your initial request you gave neither the place where your ancestor might be buried, nor the exact date of his death. You still haven't given the date of death.
Sorry, but I think this is a unreasonable request.

im sorry you have taken offense at my request for help, it certainly wasnt intended, if you read again it is very clear that we as the family have absolutely no idea where he is buried, hence the request for a look up, all i know at this point in time is his name, place of death and the fact that it was in jan 1925 when he died, i made it clear that i was hoping for some help to locate his grave,

the site astoria gave i have seen and used that to find my grandad and he is listed as 1980 for his death but unfortunatley not his father on there. that site seems to be a bit hit and miss as to what they record tho.

Astoria
08-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Let's start at the beginning with this one -

Where was he born

Who were his parents

Do you have him on all possible census entries

When and where did he marry

Where did his children end up

His resting place if not close to his place of death, will have been chosen for a reason, could he be with his parents.

dawn/karen
08-08-2009, 11:20 AM
[QUOTE=Astoria;309751]Let's start at the beginning with this one -

Where was he born 1851 oldland gloucestorshire

Who were his parents, hannah and william hawkins

Do you have him on all possible census entries, yes on the 1861, 1871, 1881 as ernest jabez hawkins, then after that he is then caled ernest james harding

When and where did he marry, married hannah demmery in mangotsfield, he then left her and made his way up north to st helens, where he met elizabeth hewitt, i am waiting on a marriage certificate of these two to see if the only one on the gro is them,

Where did his children end up, 3 kids from hannah, unsure where abouts they are as it was said that the 2 girls had left for the usa never to be heard of again, he had 4 kids with elizabeth, one died as a toddler, the other 3 also went to the isle of man, my grand dad returned at some stage to marry my nana in west derby in 1921

His resting place if not close to his place of death, will have been chosen for a reason, could he be with his parents? i dont know, hence why i said he could possibly have returned to gloucestorshire to be buried there.

Astoria
08-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Interesting chap, well we know he's not with Elizabeth and I doubt he returned to Hannah, so I think I would be looking for his parents grave.

I still think it is more likely he is on the Isle of Man though, if he had a bit of money there should be an obituary.

dawn/karen
08-08-2009, 11:35 AM
astoria he had more than "a bit" of money, he left each of his 3 sons £1100 back in 1925, one hell of a lot of money i would have said been more the case!!!

Jan1954
08-08-2009, 11:38 AM
I still think it is more likely he is on the Isle of Man though, if he had a bit of money there should be an obituary.Some possible newspapers to check:

Isle of Man Daily Times
Isle of Man Examiner
Isle of Man Weekly Times