PDA

View Full Version : GSU NUMBERS

Jellylegs
07-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Feeling really stupid - what is a GSU number?

I have noticed on a few threads recently that the GSU number has had to be removed as it is copyright.

(I don't want to get into bother by quoting something that I shouldn't!)

Thanks

Jellylegs

Jellylegs
07-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Ah! I've just seen it on A* - GSU roll number. I will make sure I never quote it!

Jellylegs

Procat
08-08-2009, 12:33 AM
The GSU roll number is (as far as we can ascertain) only used on Ancestry. As such we have taken the precaution of deleting it when it is included in the census reference. We are working on the principle of better to be safe than sorry.

The other parts of the reference (eg RG11; Piece: 4037; Folio: 132; Page: 15) is the numbering system which is used on the census itself and as such is not subject to possible copyright ramifications.

The GSU roll number is not the same as the film number which appears on the Family Search site. Also, the GSU roll number plays no part in assisting a fellow researcher to find a particular census page.

Jellylegs
08-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks Doug

Jellylegs

MarkJ
08-08-2009, 1:17 AM
I wrote a thing about GSU numbers a while back on the forum - off hand, I can't remember the thread though!

Basically, the GSU is copyright of the LDS and thus should not be quoted on the forum. Moderators will remove it - as has been mentioned ;)

As Doug says - it is not needed for normal research, it is purely for the LDS use.

Mark :)

Edit: Found the bit I wrote -
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=222214&postcount=5

Procat
08-08-2009, 1:22 AM
Almost got it correct. :)

Geoffers
08-08-2009, 10:36 AM
The other parts of the reference (eg RG11; Piece: 4037; Folio: 132; Page: 15) is the numbering system which is used on the census itself and as such is not subject to possible copyright ramifications...........

............except that in order to comply with the release of Crown Copyright on census images there is an obligation to include the class/piece folio/page reference as exampled by Doug.

So, this is a reference that must be included.