PDA

View Full Version : which prison?

Jane Gee
07-08-2009, 2:40 PM
I have just discovered from the criminal indexes released on a*y that my ancestor was imprisoned for 12 months in 1885 the trial took place at Clerkenwell London and wonder which prison he might have been sent to. I am going to the National archives next week and hope to look at the relevant records.
Many Thanks
Jane

Geoffers
07-08-2009, 3:37 PM
If you are going to TNA, it might be as well to read this guide on tracing 19th and 20th century criminals (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=120) In particular Section 2.2 which lists prisons and which records relate to them.

Jane Gee
07-08-2009, 5:32 PM
Thanks for that i have printed the info off
Jane

Mutley
07-08-2009, 5:49 PM
There was also the House of Correction at Clerkenwell.
I am not sure of the date of it's closure but there is plenty of information on Google about it.

London-footprints (http://www.london-footprints.co.uk/wkcrimenadd.htm) has an interesting article.

Jane Gee
07-08-2009, 7:05 PM
Cheers Mutley I am unsure as to where to start but have some references jotted down. Clerkenwell goal seems to have closed around the time my ancestor was sentenced but he may have gone to Pentonville.
This a new area of research for me so plenty of reading will be the order of the day.
Jane

Mutley
07-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Well, I do know it had closed as a prison by the time I went there to school. ;)

Pentonville fits the area being just a few miles north. Holloway took men then also. But I was once told that prisoners did not always serve their time in jails local to where they lived or were sentenced. Have you tried the Times Online? I found several references there to the criminal activities of my Black Sheep.

Good Luck and please let us know how you get on. :)

CanCan
08-08-2009, 7:02 AM
Clerkenwell court has not been closed very long , and i remember in my employment that prisoners from this court did indeed go to Pentonville prison.

CanCan

Jane Gee
08-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Well, I do know it had closed as a prison by the time I went there to school. ;)

Pentonville fits the area being just a few miles north. Holloway took men then also. But I was once told that prisoners did not always serve their time in jails local to where they lived or were sentenced. Have you tried the Times Online? I found several references there to the criminal activities of my Black Sheep.

Hi Muttley
Have found the article forgot about the Times we are having a family gathering tomorrow so should make an interesting topic of conversation.
Jane

Jane Gee
08-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Clerkenwell court has not been closed very long , and i remember in my employment that prisoners from this court did indeed go to Pentonville prison.

CanCan

Thanks for the info if nothing is found at Pentonville (there are photos for prisonsers so hope he was there) I will try clerkenwell but dont think there any records at the national archives for this prison.
Jane

CanCan
08-08-2009, 6:20 PM
HI,

If you give us his name, something may come up in my travelling around Google.

CanCan

Jane Gee
08-08-2009, 6:57 PM
Hallo there thanks for the offer he is

George Morley Whitbread
lived in the London area

Many thanks
Jane

CanCan
08-08-2009, 8:03 PM
Hi Jane,

I will have a go and see what I can find

CanCan

Jane Gee
11-08-2009, 5:46 PM

HI Mutley
Just to say I did indeed find a very good article relating to the trial of gt uncle George as I was able to use my library card at home to access the archive online.
So thank you for that
Best Wishes
Jane

Mutley
11-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Great news, I am pleased.

I never expected my 'lay about' lot to be in The Times but I think, back then, it was the local London rag. I had a wonderful break through once when a trial of my Brothers Grim was adjourned for them to attend their mother's funeral that week and so.... another wall was knocked down. :)