PDA

View Full Version : Schools nr Llantwitfardre Pontypridd

Bens Mum
05-08-2009, 4:59 PM
My grandmother Alice Carter b1891 at Dany Graig St Llantwitfardre Pontypridd
so must have gone to school there locally. Does anyone live near there who could suggest what school she might have gone to?
Many thanks
Brenda

gasser
05-08-2009, 6:31 PM
Glamorgan Record Office holds records for Llantwit Fardre School Board ref:GB 0214 ESB32 - a google search for same name found this information under Archive Network Wales. Think this might be a good starting point.

Jan1954
05-08-2009, 6:38 PM
The Glamorgan Family History Society (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D166&breadcrumb=Societies+%26+Groups:Glamorgan+FHS) may also be able to help. :)

Peter Goodey
05-08-2009, 6:53 PM
Does anyone live near there who could suggest what school she might have gone to?

Ah but what you really want to know is what school did she actually go to. For this, you need to know what records have survived which is why asking the County Record Office, as suggested by gasser, is the best first step.

Bens Mum
06-08-2009, 8:01 AM
Thankyou Peter & Jan. I think I was hoping there was only one school that served the village - not that simple !!

Gasser - off to the Records office now - via the 'putor of course
Many thanks to you all

John Nicholas
07-08-2009, 12:15 PM
You might not be looking at the village of Llantwit Fardre at all. There is still a Danygraig Street in this area, but it would be regarded as in Pontypridd these days, in an area known as Graig. If this is the one where your grandmother was born, it could have been in the parish of Llantwit Fardre, which extended up to the Pontypridd outskirts. If my assumption is correct, you could be looking in Graig or central Pontypridd schools.

In the past, I have found the reference section of Pontypridd library extraordinarily helpful - [email protected]

John

Bens Mum
30-08-2009, 5:41 PM
Thanks John
Sorry for the delay in replying- We've been away. I have emailed Pontypridd Library so
fingers crossed. Your help is much appreciated
Brenda