PDA

View Full Version : Hidden name

pipsqueak
04-08-2009, 7:10 PM
Can anyone hazard a guess as to the name hidden here, to the left of the number 13? This is a birth register and the name in question is of a boy whose surname is Sutton. I'm thinking it might be another Robert, unfortunately.....

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm184/squeakpip/Picture12.png[IMG]

The entire document can be seen here but the page takes a while to load:
Click here, then select Sutton, Birth 10 September 1875 Chicago (http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#eventPlace=Chicago%2C%20Cook%2C%20Illin ois%2C%20United%20States;placeId=378110;searchType =standard;year=1875;toYear=1875;searchId=876556298 43970470000;surname=Sutton;p=recordResults)

sueannbowen
04-08-2009, 7:24 PM
I'm trying which of the Suttons do I click when I get there? the image on the first one doesn't look like your snippet! If pushed at this stage (but I will go to the original) I would say possibly Stuart.

Sue

sueannbowen
04-08-2009, 7:25 PM
I'm trying which of the Suttons do I click when I get there?

Sue

forget that now read the instructiuons. will have another go at finding him on the page.

sueannbowen
04-08-2009, 7:28 PM
Crikey - not sure how you are supposed to read that! there doesn't seem to be a forename in the same column as all the others (LIzzie just above?) so maybe it is just his surname but to be honest I cannot get Sutton out of that. So again closest guess for me would be Stuart. That would be with a gun to my head and 10 seconds to decide though!:D

Sorry pipsqueak - also have never seen that bit of LDS before.

Sue

Davran
04-08-2009, 7:38 PM
I think you may be right with Robert. I was a bit dubious until I looked for other lower case "b"s as it looked as if it was an "l", but the other "b"s on the page are also open.

MythicalMarian
04-08-2009, 7:48 PM
I would also say Robert. There is another part of the first letter peeping out from the left crease on the page. I'm 90% sure it's Robert, Pipsqueak. There is the top of the hidden 'R' and then what we can actually see under the tape is 'obert'.

Mutley
04-08-2009, 7:58 PM
I also think it could be Robert. If you look at the place name on 11 it begins with R and has quite a large top loop. You can just see a similar loop before the o on the name.

Either way, I cannot think of another name that is ?ob??t. ;)

pipsqueak
04-08-2009, 8:14 PM
My first thought was "...lust" but that was no help at all but I hate to think of there being a third Robert Sutton kicking around (plus an Edward who called himself Robert because he felt like it)! Hey ho! Thanks for the extra eyes - I appreciate it!

pipsqueak
04-08-2009, 8:55 PM
wait a minute... They already had a Robert, born the year before... don't tell me I have to try to find a death record now |banghead|

v.wells
04-08-2009, 8:56 PM
It looks like Robert to me.

sueannbowen
04-08-2009, 9:57 PM
It looks like Robert to me.

am obviously looking at another doc entirely - will go and ie down in a darkened room until new specs arrive!
http://bestsmileys.com/movingeyes/1.gif

Kerrywood
04-08-2009, 10:54 PM
I too thought at first it might be Richard ...

But in the 1880 census for Cook County IL, he would appear to be Robert G. SUTTON aged 4, father Jonathan (a builder). That seems to fit with the birth record, although in the census the mother is Elizabeth (not Emma).

Is this the right family? :confused:

Kerrywood

Thomasin
04-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Looks like Albert to me.

Thomasin

pipsqueak
04-08-2009, 11:34 PM
OK... I must be thick. The family Kerrywood has suggested is the correct family (I'm still trying to get to the bottom of the Emma & Elizabeth situation).
So it must be Robert G! I somehow had the kids listed out of order, plus when I found online the birth certificate of Alfred, I found out that he was the 10th child - so I'm still missing some.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious!

Kerrywood
04-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Thank you for pointing out the obvious!

Not at all thick, and not at all obvious. You had us all scratching our heads ;)

Kerrywood

pipsqueak
04-08-2009, 11:42 PM
You're too kind!

pottoka
05-08-2009, 10:54 PM
I was going to vote for Robert, too, but I've obviously got here too late.

But I'll definitely say that whoever allowed the tape to cover the names of the children needs a rap over the knuckles - what on earth was he thinking of?

pipsqueak
12-08-2009, 2:15 PM
Just a follow up to set the record straight - I've done some more searching and found more information. This child is most likely to be the one whose name alternated between Robert Glenister SUTTON and Glenister Robert SUTTON. I've found documentation to support both, but he seems most often to have gone by the second version of the name.

Thank you for the input!