PDA

View Full Version : Found my first rogue

laroc
17-03-2005, 5:12 PM
Hi all
Thanks to the 1871 census of Suffolk, I found one of my husbands ancestors languishing in the Bury St Edmunds gaol.
I emailed the Bury St Edmunds branch of the Suffolk Record Office on the off chance that they might have some records relating to the Gaol and was blown away with the response. Not only did they have the admitance book of the Gaol for the right time scale but my George King was listed as being sentenced to 14 days hard labour for malicious damage. Would I like a copy?
I nearly bit their hands off with my eagernes and when the copy arrived there was so much detail on it, height ,hair colour ,eye colour ,whether he was married ,age of eldest ,child fathers name and occupation etc and all for 50p.
I am not sure if this qualifies as a success story but it was certainly a success as far as I am concerned.
It never hurts to ask a Record Office if they have a certain record in my experience they are always willing to help out.
Carol

Ladkyis
17-03-2005, 9:58 PM
Oh I am so envious! my ancestors seem to have lived their lives in public view - they were actors - but in the true theatrical way they had no substance. I have only found great grandma on 2 of the census. They must have stayed within the law because the only things I have are some reviews of plays which sometimes mention them.
Ann

Trish
17-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Oh I am so envious! my ancestors seem to have lived their lives in public view - they were actors - but in the true theatrical way they had no substance. I have only found great grandma on 2 of the census. They must have stayed within the law because the only things I have are some reviews of plays which sometimes mention them.
AnnAnn,

Weren't actors about as well regarded as thieves and rogues at one time? So don't be envious -- you've got it all: high drama and knavery together. Or something like that...

Trish